Need a 12 Step Program: NOW!

This is a discussion on Need a 12 Step Program: NOW! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little over a year ago I decided to get my CCL and only owned a few older revolvers that were handed down through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Need a 12 Step Program: NOW!

A little over a year ago I decided to get my CCL and only owned a few older revolvers that were handed down through the family. Suddenly, I slipped down a slope and can't stop. Within the last year, I've purchased a new 1911 Colt, a Smith & Wesson M&P 9, a Kahr CM9 and a Beretta M9. I did mask the Beretta as a gift for my son this Christmas, but I can't believe how this new "hobby" has become so addictive. I mean, how many guns do you need? Seriously, I have really loved this new "hobby" and can't read enough and just love learning. However, the more I learn the more I want to keep acquiring new guns. I need to learn control.................

Just took my new CM9 and Beretta to the range yesterday with my son and both guns shot flawlessly. No issues whatsoever with the CM9. I followed the directions to the "t" on the Kahr talk site for lubrication and was amazed at how much fun this little gun was to shoot. And, my son's Beretta was really a sweet shooting pistol. A real tack driver.

Guess I better search for a local 12 step meeting on gun addiction now. Happy New Year! Steve
    Philly Boy likes this.

VIP Member
    Hi, my name is Rich, and I'm a gunaholic!

Like so many others I can blame my addiction on the movies and cowboy westerns of the 50's and 60's. They planted the seed that in years grew to a full blown monster. My dad actually gave me the first nudge down the slippery slope at the age of about 8 or 9 years old. He bought me a Daisy BB gun. That gun and I were constant companions for many years. In fact I still have her. She's old and worn. Her plastic stock is warped from the heat of many summers. Her barrel has rust on her. Her leather washers are dried out. On occasion I will pick her up and relive the memorable "hunting" expeditions we made together.

Like so many others, when I hit my teen years, I discovered cars and girls. The trusty Daisy was left in the back of the closet, virtually forgotten. She'd been replaced by jobs, cars, girls. The years slipped away. I started a career in the military, and a family. Then one day, while at a friends house in the country, he ask if I wanted to go out and do some shooting. Like Godzilla in those old Japanese movies, the monster was re-awakened. I bought a Ruger Mark II, followed by a Marlin 75C .22 rifle and then a Ruger .357 Blackhawk. Many guns have come and gone since that day. The Mark II is still in the safe. The Marlin 75C .22 rifle still sits there. There are various rifles and handguns keeping them company. Hi powered bolt action rifles, high capacity "evil black rifles", shotguns and black powder rifles. Revolvers of different makes and calibers line the shelves as do semi automatic of numerous makes, sizes and calibers. Please, don't even get me started on holsters. I could use another safe, just to house them.

I have finally come to realize, there is no cure for this affliction. There is no 12 Step Program for it. No wonder drug to cure it. Stopping "Cold Turkey" doesn't work either. I've faced the fact it is something I'll go to my grave suffering with. While some think about heaven and wonder if there are pearly gates and streets paved in gold, I wonder if there are gun stores and shooting ranges. Like many others here, I have passed the affliction on to my sons. They will have to deal with it in their own way. Like me, they will have to learn to live with it. They will have to find a way to make it through this affliction 1 gun....I mean day, at a time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would like to address the question "how many guns do you need?" I have 3 large gun safes stuffed full, thats a heck of a lot of guns. I am a hunter and I conceal carry. I guess I NEED about 6 of my guns for hunting and concealed carry. But if anyone ever tried to take the rest away they would feel the wrath of the entire collection!

My names Trent and I have lots of guns, and to answer your question of how many guns do you need, one or two at a time, but your safes need to be full, just do what I do and tell the wife your building your sons and grandsons inheritance, just so happens you get to enjoy them in the process, I have 4 safes packed to the max.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I can always get another wife( I'm on #3) but they may outlaw guns at any time!
    Eaglebeak and NY27 like this.

Find a gun shop that has a 12 months same as cash sale. Buy yourself a gun that you've been wanting but didn't want to spend that much money all at once for. It will be easier to justify the cost spread over 12 months. This is the only 12 step program that I can think of that will help you.

There is no cure but there is a remediation...buy more guns!!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Don't have many guns, but if there were a "12 Step" for gun lovers, I would most likely be a Charter Member!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

My grandfather was an alcoholic. When he finally beat the bottle, he put all of his efforts into shooting and buying guns. It was his way of trading one thing for another, and he rewarded himself thru the guns.

One day he was sneaking the new in box Nylon 66 into the house and my grandmother caught him. I remember her kissing him on the cheek and telling him that if he never had another drink, she didn't care if he purchased every gun in Ky.
    Addictive tendancy can be passed down. I caught the gun addiction.

There are alot of worse things a man can indulge himself in.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

With me, it's always:

"Just ONE more gun, and I'll be done."

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    With me, it's always:

"Just ONE more gun, and I'll be done."

LOL.

Me too! I keep thinking, one more and I'll have the variety I want and lots of options. Won't need any more.....................Still, I'm already reading about the next one! I just love Colts and think I could really go down hill fast on that trail. Steve

I am one of the lucky ones, or unlucky as the case may be. If I want a new gun, I have trade my old one in first. But I am bringing my youngest daughter up in the shooting fold, so now I am going to have to start buying more I guess.

Jeez, I can't believe it.

I went to the local gun store and they had a really nice S&W Model 10 snubbie. This was about one hour after I posted earlier on this thread.

I just had to get it. Pictures up shortly.

I promise. This is my last gun purchase of 2011!

Okay, here's the pic.
    mod10snubbie.jpg
    Model 10-5 with 2-inch barrel.
    Last edited by lowercase; December 31st, 2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added pic

Right now I have every gun I need (except for 1 or 2) but a list of 7 to 12, no more that 20, that would be 'useful' to own.
    Now that my wife has taken up shooting there are several that she needs.... and the kids are getting old enough that they will need some too.... but I'll be set once I get those 25 or so...

Oh should I count the historic collectables I would like?
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Get enrolled buddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links