New Glock 29 SF 10mm owner report. - Page 2

New Glock 29 SF 10mm owner report.

This is a discussion on New Glock 29 SF 10mm owner report. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zamboni Kudos To You 'CDW4ME' ... Nice Report. I'm saving up for a G20sf for my strolls into the woods to replace ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New Glock 29 SF 10mm owner report.

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Kudos To You 'CDW4ME' ... Nice Report. I'm saving up for a G20sf for my strolls into the woods to replace my 44mag, can't go wrong with either 10mm, the G20 or G29.

    Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by alien319 View Post
    Excellent report sir. Thanks. Sounds like a great gun and a great carry option.
    Thanks!
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

  2. #17
    Member Array Tripeaks69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Demokratik People's Republik of KaliPORNia
    Posts
    31
    I love my G29SF. My CCW of choice.

    image.jpg

    image.jpg
    Glock G23 G4, G29Sf, G42, Para Ordnance P1045 Limited, Colt Officer .45, Colt Mustang Mark IV Pocketlite .380 cal

  3. #18
    Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,618
    OH
    NO
    Over two year old thread, back from the dead.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

  4. #19
    Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,661
    I bow down to any man that can handle the 10mm. (600 - 700 ft-lbs. ME, average, is nothing to sneeze at, IMO.)

    Congrats, sir.

  5. #20
    VIP Member
    Array ccman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    2,073
    I just picked up the 29 SF looking forward to the range.

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array Richard58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte area of North Carolina
    Posts
    2,338
    A lot of talk lately on 10mm.....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

  7. #22
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    14,109
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    OH
    NO
    Over two year old thread, back from the dead.
    The search engine is our friend.
    ccman likes this.
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

  8. #23
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    14,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    A lot of talk lately on 10mm.....
    Yup, I have been looking hard at them too, but I have to say, after feeling the grip on the Glock 30s vs the 29, the .45 acp has gained some serious ground in my renewed interest in a big caliber. Why did Glock not give the 29 the same grip length as the 30?
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

  9. #24
    Member Array ShootingTheBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    340
    The 30S is the same grip as the 30SF. The 29 has a longer reach, but the 29SF is the same frame and grip. Same with the Gen 4's, as far as I know -- same grip on the 29 and the 30.

    If you go with a 30S, you can't convert it to 10mm. If you go with a 30SF, you can easily convert it to a 29SF. If you go with a 29, you can't convert it to a 30 (without buying a new slide).

    Sorting through the maze, there's the original 29 and 30 (gen's 1-3) that all have a big fat grip. Then there's the 29SF, 30SF, and 30S, all with the thinner grip, but those only exist in Gen 3 (IINM). Then there's the newest models, the Gen 4 29 and 30. They have the same size grip as the SF models (when using no backstrap). You can add backstraps to make the grip thicker.

  10. #25
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    14,109
    Quote Originally Posted by ShootingTheBull View Post
    The 30S is the same grip as the 30SF. The 29 has a longer reach, but the 29SF is the same frame and grip. Same with the Gen 4's, as far as I know -- same grip on the 29 and the 30.

    If you go with a 30S, you can't convert it to 10mm. If you go with a 30SF, you can easily convert it to a 29SF. If you go with a 29, you can't convert it to a 30 (without buying a new slide).

    Sorting through the maze, there's the original 29 and 30 (gen's 1-3) that all have a big fat grip. Then there's the 29SF, 30SF, and 30S, all with the thinner grip, but those only exist in Gen 3 (IINM). Then there's the newest models, the Gen 4 29 and 30. They have the same size grip as the SF models (when using no backstrap). You can add backstraps to make the grip thicker.
    That is adequately confusing. That said, according to the Glock website, the 29's are 4.45 or 4.44 inches in height, and the 30's are 4.8".
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

  11. #26
    Member Array ShootingTheBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    340
    The height difference is because of the standard magazine. The 10mm 29 uses a slightly shorter magazine, which is flush-fit. The .45 magazine sticks out a little further, in order for it to be able to fit ten cartridges of the larger .45 ACP round, but you can get a flush-fit 9mm .45 magazine which makes it the exact same size as the 29. I'm running a 9-round mag in my 30SF right now, and it's exactly the same size as the G29. The 10-round G29 mag and the 9-round G30 mag are identical in height.


    As to the rest of it, yes it is confusing, but it boils down to this: there are only three frame sizes out there. There's the original one, used on the Gen 1-3 G29 and G30. Then there's the newer thinner "SF" frame, used on the Gen-3-only G29SF, G30SF, and G30S. And finally there's the Gen 4 frame, which is the same size as the "SF" frame, but you can add backstraps to make it bigger if you want.

    The G30S is the same frame as a Gen 3 30SF, but it uses a lighter/thinner upper slide (as normally found on the G36).
    Mike1956 likes this.

  12. #27
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    14,109
    Quote Originally Posted by ShootingTheBull View Post
    The height difference is because of the standard magazine. The 10mm 29 uses a slightly shorter magazine, which is flush-fit. The .45 magazine sticks out a little further, in order for it to be able to fit ten cartridges of the larger .45 ACP round, but you can get a flush-fit 9mm .45 magazine which makes it the exact same size as the 29. I'm running a 9-round mag in my 30SF right now, and it's exactly the same size as the G29. The 10-round G29 mag and the 9-round G30 mag are identical in height.


    As to the rest of it, yes it is confusing, but it boils down to this: there are only three frame sizes out there. There's the original one, used on the Gen 1-3 G29 and G30. Then there's the newer thinner "SF" frame, used on the Gen-3-only G29SF, G30SF, and G30S. And finally there's the Gen 4 frame, which is the same size as the "SF" frame, but you can add backstraps to make it bigger if you want.

    The G30S is the same frame as a Gen 3 30SF, but it uses a lighter/thinner upper slide (as normally found on the G36).
    Thanks for the helpful info. Things I did not know.
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

  13. #28
    Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,618
    Since my two year old thread is up and going, I might as well update it.

    Average for 5 shots out of the 3.75" barrel, (ascending order of recoil, not KE):
    Corbon 150 JHP @ 1,222 fps / 497# KE / PF 183
    Hornady 175 gr. Critical Duty: 1,077 fps / 451# KE / PF 188
    Hornady 155 XTP: 1,278 fps / 562# KE / PF 198

    I previously handloaded a match for the Hornady 155 XTP, but the recoil (PF 198) is a bit stiff for quick 2nd shots.

    I like the Corbon 150 for SD, very controllable recoil and "sufficient" KE.
    Today, I handloaded my own equivalent of the Corbon, a Nosler 150 JHP @ 1,239 fps / 511# KE / PF 186
    ccman likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

  14. #29
    Senior Member Array jem102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,090
    I have a G29 SF I bought a year ago. I don't carry the gun as I have been spoiled by the G36 for that purpose.

    If you want a real eye opening experience with your 29 get some Buffalo Bore loaded with the 155 gr. XTP. It is rated at 1,500 fps. and it has quite the WOW factor out of the 29 SF.

    Just so we are all on the same page, to my understanding the SF has a shorter reach to the trigger. The width and depth of the frame are the same.
    Who is John Galt?

    Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

    When political power is up for grabs, personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

  15. #30
    Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I have a G29 SF I bought a year ago. I don't carry the gun as I have been spoiled by the G36 for that purpose.

    If you want a real eye opening experience with your 29 get some Buffalo Bore loaded with the 155 gr. XTP. It is rated at 1,500 fps. and it has quite the WOW factor out of the 29 SF.

    Just so we are all on the same page, to my understanding the SF has a shorter reach to the trigger. The width and depth of the frame are the same.
    I am apparently one of the few that is not inclined to load a 10mm with the hottest ammo that can be obtained.
    Speed of 2nd shot is important to me; I use a shot timer and average "qualifying" pairs to remove any subjectivity.
    The factory Hornady 155 XTP generates a bit more recoil than I prefer; the Corbon 150 is quite manageable.
    I'm satisfied with the Corbon 150, Hornady CD 175, or my own 150 Nosler handload.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

glock 10mm sf
,

glock 29

,

glock 29 price

,
glock 29 recoil
,

glock 29 review

,

glock 29 sf

,
glock 29 sf holster
,
glock 29 sf review
,

glock 29sf

,

glock 29sf holster

,
glock 29sf price
,

glock 29sf review

Click on a term to search for related topics.