New Glock 29 SF 10mm owner report.

New Glock 29 SF 10mm owner report.

This is a discussion on New Glock 29 SF 10mm owner report. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Glock 29 SF 10mm. In my initial shooting session(s) the only problem I had was the flush fitting magazine would consistently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Glock 29 SF 10mm owner report.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Talking New Glock 29 SF 10mm owner report.

I recently bought a Glock 29 SF 10mm.
    In my initial shooting session(s) the only problem I had was the flush fitting magazine would consistently lock the slide open with one round left in the magazine. I did not have this problem using a magazine with a Pearce base plate.
    Some people (on the Glocktalk forum) suggested that the cause of the lock back problem was my thumb(s) hitting the slide stop, but that seemed unlikely; how could I consistently only hit the slide stop with exactly one round left, not likely.

I got additional Pearce pinky rest base plates and all magazines now work properly.

I figured fast shooting would reveal any issues, so couple days ago I shot double taps using a timer and still experienced no problem(s).

For "my" speed & accuracy test, I place a 6'' circle on a larger target and stand 6-7 yards away. The goal is to place both shots on the 6'' circle, close is not good enough. I'm only concerned with the time between 1st & 2nd shot and hitting the circle both times.
    I have not done this little test in months (since last summer) and was very pleased with average 1st - 2nd shot times of .27 sec. (Last summer, when I was in practice .19 was the best average obtained by me using a Glock 19 & Lightweight Commander that has XS Big Dot sights).

The Hornady factory 155 gr. ammunition slightly exceeds the velocity stated on the box out of my 29, which is great for just a 3 3/4'' barrel.
    Average for 5 shots: 155 gr. Hornady XTP @ 1,278 fps / 562# KE

After my Glock 29 SF had just over 300 rounds through it (about 50 rounds of factory Hornady 155 gr. XTP and 250 rounds of my ballistically equivalent hand loads using the same bullet) I deemed it ready for carry and took it on its maiden voyage yesterday, carried appendix IWB in the Fist kydex clip-on holster in the picture. It was easily concealed under a sweatshirt, the pocket on the front is in just the right place to cover any potential printing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Congrats on the new Glock...10mm, that's a lot of lead coming at ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    10-4
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Very nice. Guessing it won't be too long before you pick up it's big brother....the Glock 20. I'm sure you'll enjoy your 29 as much as I do with mine.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Congratulations! Absolutely without a doubt my all around favorite pistol. The one I keep by my side at night.

My 29Sf can't be beat for power plus it is very easy to shoot.
    Attached Images

That is alot of gun! How's the recoil? I've never fired from a subcompact. Just full size EAA Witness. Over the 10mm. Very comforting with that much power.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alien319 View Post
    That is alot of gun! How's the recoil? I've never fired from a subcompact. Just full size EAA Witness. Over the 10mm. Very comforting with that much power.
    Recoil is very manageable, about the same or less than a .45., definitely better than a .40. I find the .40 snappier and harder to control ( I have had other people agree with me at the range). The 10mm round is as versatile as it gets, you can get ammo with power anywhere to just above the .40 to all the way up to .41 magnum....can't be beat

My G29 is my main carry weapon.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Enjoy your easy & fun to shoot 29SF.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Congratulations! That is an all purpose handgun you have there. It'll stop anything on 2 legs and a lot of things on four legs too. I love my 20SF and would love to add the 29SF to the collection. Enjoy.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alien319 View Post
    Recoil: Let me give an objective measure, then my opinion.
    For objectivity I'll compare the recoil of the 29 to another Glock using the power factor formula (PF)
    I use to have a Glock 36 (45 acp). It shot a 230 gr. Winchester Ranger T @ 874 fps / 390# KE / PF 201
    Okay now my 29 SF, 155 gr. Hornady XTP @ 1,278 fps / 562# KE / PF 198
    Although those two loadings are very different, the calculated recoil is neraly the same; subjectively the 29SF gets it over with a little quicker.
    So, with the ammunition I'm using, recoil is about like a Glock 36 with a stiff 230 gr. load.

Even more subjective, I'd say it's about like shooting the model 27 (40 S&W) with a Pearce pinky rest magazine baseplate.
    Glock 27: Winchester Silvertip 155 gr. @ 1,090 fps / 409# KE / PF 169
    The calculated recoil out of the model 27 is less, but the model 27 is lighter and the grip a little thinner compared to the model 29; I think the extra weight and width of the 29 kind of equalizes the difference in calculated recoil so that subjective felt recoil is about the same.
    My split times for 1st - 2nd shot support my opinion, because the 29 and 27 produced nearly the same averages (based on the last time I put the 27 to the test).
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Kudos To You 'CDW4ME' ... Nice Report. I'm saving up for a G20sf for my strolls into the woods to replace my 44mag, can't go wrong with either 10mm, the G20 or G29.

Enjoy
    CDW4ME likes this.

I just ordered some xtp 155 grain for my model 20. My reloads same velocity I hope shoot well and are very manageable in the model 20. Congrats great caliber and gun.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Gotta love the 10mm! nothing better than knowing your not under gunned.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Excellent report sir. Thanks. Sounds like a great gun and a great carry option.
    CDW4ME likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links