Does anyone carry a Kimber Ultra in 40SW?

This is a discussion on Does anyone carry a Kimber Ultra in 40SW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am really itching to get my hands on a Kimber Ultra in 40 SW. I would like to know a little about the handling ...

Thread: Does anyone carry a Kimber Ultra in 40SW?

Does anyone carry a Kimber Ultra in 40SW?

I am really itching to get my hands on a Kimber Ultra in 40 SW. I would like to know a little about the handling aspects of the gun. I have a Colt Defender in 45 acp that I can handle ok, but I have a Kahr P40 in 40sw that is really a hand full. Before I spend $800 on a gun, I'd like to know more than the fact I like it. Nice guns, any comments? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Cool

I cant answer any of your questions range.. I know... im extremely helpful being post #2 here. However, I too have developed an interested for a Kimber. -- Ultra Raptor II . (Maybe a longer barrel, not sure yet)

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=54021730
    (I love these style grips!)
    A guy at 1 of the ranges I go to had one and he said it was very accurate. I did not shoot it, he didnt ask me if I wanted to. Either it was a very accurate gun, or he was just a very good shooter, cause he called where it was going on a 6"x8" mini sillouhette at 20 feet. "HEAD" (the head was about 1.5 inches x 1.5 inches) on the mini sillouhette and he took out the left eye and cheek, just inside where the ear outline was.. he continued to call body. chest, abdomen. head.. whatever he said he knocked it out. I was quite impressed... but then again im not the worlds greatest shot by far. Im anxious to see everyone elses experiences as well.. because im also a .40 cal fan.

Let us know what you decide on, and if you can give a range report that would be sweet! Good luck
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I have an Ultra CDP in .40 S&W. I like the gun and I don't have any recoil problems from the .40 that everyone seem's to talk about. Maybe I'm not recoil sensitive?

The Ultra's are acurate to about 10 yard's, after that it is harder to put them where you want as much but I don't have a problem keeping them on paper at 15 yards they are just a bit more spread out of course.

The reason I picked this one up in .40 is because at the time the external extractor was the only thing Kimber was putting out in .45. The 9MM and .40 S&W always came with internal extractors and with all the problem's Kimber was having with external's on the short barreled gun's I went with the .40.

I did have a few feeding issues early on but break in, changing to either Wilson or Tripp Cobra mag's and a reliability tune from my gun smith (my choice) my little 3" Ultra is 100% and very concealable.

Here is my.40S&W Ultra CDP.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Kimber Ultra 40

Oh man TI Carry, what a nice looking gun! I have not seen a two tone and I don't mind saying, it looks super! I have a Kimber Pro Elite,4 and a quarter inch, two tone that I love.

A friend of mine says that Kimber developed a return spring system that makes the recoil easier to contend with. I know the 40's are a little snappier than the 45's in terms of muzzle flip etc. Thanks for the pic.

JD
    Administrator
    My wife has one, she doesn't carry it yet, it had the older mags that were marked "Made in Italy" that didn't work worth a hoot, just recieved my Tripp Research Mags a week ago but haven't had a chance to check them out yet. Will let you know when I do.

Hey no problem, always like talking gun's and showing off a bit. I would like to know more about this recoil spring that Kimber developed though, I haven't heard a thing about it?

jdlv4_0, you will love your new Cobra mag's. They are the best I have ever used. Both my Wilson and Tripp mag's both work fine but the Tripp mag's are just a better made mag IMO. The only thing is, I like the Wilson base pad's better for carry than the Cobra magg's. I am getting ready to order Tripp internals and fit them to the Wilson mag's to have the best of both.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I have carried a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry in .45ACP for years. It's small size and light weight (28oz empty) make it easy to carry. I also find it very accurate. The only modification I made was setting the trigger pull at 4 lbs. I can draw and empty a magazine into the high-point head area of a silhouette target at 15 yards, no sweat. While it's no bullseye pistol with just a 3" bbl, I can hit cans at 40 yards with it. I have two Kimbers, the other a full-size Custom Target, and both are outstanding quality.

My personal experience (YMMV) is that a very small .40S&W compact (don't remember the model) kicks more sharply than my UC in .45ACP and was harder to shoot well. That compact was smaller than my Kimber, so it wasn't necessarily a good comparison.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Nice photo Ti Carry!

I like the way you mounted the Kimber on a cut log for background. Are those grips micarta or wood? I can't tell.

Thank's for the prop's pogo! I got lucky on that shot.

Actually, those are Wilson Combat diamond wood slime line grip's.

To me they make all the difference in carrying, the grips are well thought out IMO.

You can check them out here, http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_grips_ultrathin.asp

Ti.

Ti Carry---great looking gun and pic!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

you will love your new kimber ulta they are very good guns i own six of them make shore they have the internal extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by george ries View Post
    you will love your new kimber ulta they are very good guns i own six of them make shore they have the internal extractor.
    You have 6 Ultra's?

Ti

Kimber Ultra

There has been sone useful info received on this thread. TI my friend told me he meant that Kimber had been using a spring system in their shorty fortys that reduced felt recoil.
    I'm with you TI, 6 Ultras? Wow......

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Huh...why wouldn't you just buy an even dozen??? LOL
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Links