3 gun resolution for 2012

This is a discussion on 3 gun resolution for 2012 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having carried the Colt 1911 around just about every day since July, I have decided that there are 2 more guns that I have to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 3 gun resolution for 2012

3 gun resolution for 2012

Having carried the Colt 1911 around just about every day since July, I have decided that there are 2 more guns that I have to get. I'm not sure if it's my age or just a changing taste for my guns, but I've pretty much left the Glocks out of my carry rotation, preferring the all steel Colt and revolvers.

So, I am going to add 2 more classic steel guns the auto pistol carry rotation.
    Those would be the CZ 75/85 and, the Browning High Power.

I believe my holster collection for the 1911 will work for all three of these.

I've proven to myself that a 2.5 pound gun, can be carried in all seasons, with very little trouble, so why not add a couple of 9mm's to the mix.

The look and feel of these classics is so much more appealing to me then polymer. I may even part with a Glock or two to finace my CZ or Browning, both of which are two of the finest, if not THE finest 9mm's on the planet.

At the range today, I let my Colt kick up it's heels. Shooting at a full sized humanoid target, head shots at twenty yards was ridiculously easy. Hitting center mass of the torso was a non event. But this is what can be expected with a full size steel fighting sized handgun. Having had a CZ 75 in the past, I can tell you it was the same way.

I guess after doing some thinking, I have come to the conclusion that not only due I prefer these classic all steel shooters to all others, I prefer the shootability and accuracy to the lightweight polymer guns.

Happy New Year all!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

You are going to have to change your forum name...
    oneshot and Chesafreak like this.
    Marty Hayes, President
    Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    im with you with the BHP. i must own up to having only older ml type CZ's.
    the M75 i have shot is a strong, heavy and accurate handgun.
    good luck to ua and will there be a update in a few months.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I remember reading the day you went out and got that Colt. It has had a big impact on you. They are great guns for sure. Your other two are great choices as well but I will throw out another option since you like the steel and the feel of the Colt. Have you considered or looked at a Dan Wesson or Springfield 1911 in 9mm. I can tell you they are great. Shoot smooth as butter and when you are used to the 1911 they are very natural to swithch between. You can also look at the EMP in 9mm if you want less than a full size One of the finest shooters in 9mm I have.

Just sharing a few thoughts
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

VIP Member
    OMG!!!!! Someone call a doctor!!!!! J/K

I also prefer the feel and shootibility of a steel gun. I find myself drooling over Hi Power's.....at some point one is going to follow me home.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hey, at least its a Happy new Year....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Having carried the Colt 1911 around just about every day since July, I have decided that there are 2 more guns that I have to get. I'm not sure if it's my age or just a changing taste for my guns, but I've pretty much left the Glocks out of my carry rotation, preferring the all steel Colt and revolvers.

So, I am going to add 2 more classic steel guns the auto pistol carry rotation.
    Those would be the CZ 75/85 and, the Browning High Power.

I believe my holster collection for the 1911 will work for all three of these.

I've proven to myself that a 2.5 pound gun, can be carried in all seasons, with very little trouble, so why not add a couple of 9mm's to the mix.

The look and feel of these classics is so much more appealing to me then polymer. I may even part with a Glock or two to finace my CZ or Browning, both of which are two of the finest, if not THE finest 9mm's on the planet.

At the range today, I let my Colt kick up it's heels. Shooting at a full sized humanoid target, head shots at twenty yards was ridiculously easy. Hitting center mass of the torso was a non event. But this is what can be expected with a full size steel fighting sized handgun. Having had a CZ 75 in the past, I can tell you it was the same way.

I guess after doing some thinking, I have come to the conclusion that not only due I prefer these classic all steel shooters to all others, I prefer the shootability and accuracy to the lightweight polymer guns.

Happy New Year all!
    I believe you have come full circle. Welcome home.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Hayes View Post
    You are going to have to change your forum name...
    I guess that makes both of us on the name change! I have been carrying my EMP for months now and I love how them 1911's shoot. There is nothing wrong with owning the classics and frankly I find that maybe my tastes have been evolving a bit more lately. I just get all fuzzy inside when I pick up steel! I got a classic to add to my list as well. I want a Colt Python to go with my stable of Colt 1911's.
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; January 1st, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I love to see the confessions of converts

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like you are just getting old to me...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have moved all of my polymer guns for metal, not necessarily steel. I have also gone revolver along with a 1911.
    Have a great New Year all and be safe, Frank.

I am an old one too. I always go back to 1911's. Even if they hurt the hell out of my back.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

There's a lot to like about your choices, and now with 3 1911s and a CZ75 I still need a Hi-Power to join the gang. The heft and feel of these fine guns is just something you won't get from plastic, kinda like comparing good Bourbon to Kool Aid.
    helderberg and C hawk Glock like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    While I am not familiar with the CZ I am seriously considering adding a High Power to the stable, must be a Browning though and not a clone.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I must have been born old.

I'd love to have a good session with the CZ 75/85. I think I've shot one on an occasion when a "friend of a friend" brought one out to our old family place but I only ran a single magazine through it during an informal plinking session. I can't now remember enough about it to have an opinion of it. I might could like one.

I do love the full-sized 1911 and Hi-Power. Love their weight and balance and all that lovely steel from which they are created. Also their demonstrated dependability. I'm enthused to let such automatics see me through the remainder of my shooting career.

My Hi-Power fits the 1911 holsters but I don't really have any great holsters on hand for either. Military flap holsters, an example of the current military holster, a Bianchi X-15 which is still a pretty decent shoulder holster, a slide, and some cheapo nylon ambi holsters are about it. I rediscovered the nylon holsters when I began moving my hobby room from one end of the house to the other end just before Christmas. I don't even know where they came from. Need a nice IWB holster and something beside the 1944 dated military flap holster for toting 1911s afield. The 1944 holster is no collectible being worn out. It's original fastener was gone when I picked it up for a dollar or two from a gun show bin some 30 years ago and I added a simple snap to keep it closed.

I do have a neato holster/ accessory bin now for better organizing things. I've got to finish up the move so I can get some needed reloading done.

What would really be a hoot would be if GMan divested himself of a Glock or two and I actually ended up with a Glock in some sort of a gun swap. I almost took opportunity to take in a Glock 17 recently on a potential gun trade. It was being thrown in to sweeten a deal which ultimately didn't go down.

My kind brother-in-law allows me to shoot his Glocks any time we're together and he has one of them along and I've shot his for years now. He has a bunch of different Glock models. He left a Glock 19 with me for 6 months or so when he moved a couple of years ago and wanted to stow some guns off premises during the transition. I played with it but never did warm up to either the trigger or the balance. I love shooting and can be entertained by almost anything that goes "bang" safely but would scarcely ever choose a Glock for recreational shooting and wouldn't be interested in carrying one. I don't have much of a beef about the grip or grip angle as many do but all the plastic ones, whether they be Glock or other brand of plastic pistol, feel too top heavy to my way of thinking. There's just not enough love generated for the breed for me to spend my thinner retirement dollars to acquire one.

Too many others on the want list ahead of the molded plastic pistols for me to actually own one.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links