Kimber Ultra carry concerns - Page 2

Kimber Ultra carry concerns

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra carry concerns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sweet....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra carry concerns

Sweet.

Just make sure you buy a least 50 extra rounds of the ammo you plan on carrying on the gun. If it shoots all of them without malfunction it would be good enough for me.

I just sold a Kimber Ultra CDP, not because anything was wrong with it. It ran flawless. I only had it for about a year, and the only reason I got rid of it is because I wanted another pistol, and used that $$ to get the other one. I like the little 3" 1911's and wouldn't have sold the Kimber but I do still have a Springfield Micro Compact. It is also a great shooter now after I worked a couple of minor kinks out. I think they(most major manufactures) have for the most part worked out all the kinks with the little 3" guns. We all know you can get any pistol new out of the box regardless of length, or brand and have some problems with them.
    Guns Have Only Two Enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    I am thinking about buying a Kimber Ultra Carry II for my carry weapon. But I keep reading about all kinds of failures and jams, Most of the postings I have read are a couple years old. Have they worked out the kinks or are they still an "iffy" fire gun? I would love to hear from some of you who own one. Thanks.
    If I read about all sorts of failures and jams from reputable places I'd pass and look at equivalent guns from other manufacturers. There's plenty of that type and size available.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    So far, my Kimber Ultra Carry II has been flawless in performance. A delight to carry, and less costly than most Kimber models..................

So far, my Kimber Ultra Carry II has been flawless in performance. A delight to carry, and less costly than most Kimber models..................
    Yep same here for mine. Everything from lead SWC to Speer Gold Dots and never so much as a hiccup.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

As Chaplain Scott mentioned, one of the more frequent feeding problems of a 3" barrel 1911 (especially .45ACP) can happen from the slide spring getting weak. Since the proper loading/feeding is highly dependent on the slide's forward speed and strength, the very short slide-throw can't capitalize on the momentum inertia of a heaver slide moving a greater distance; so the short barrel pistol must rely on a much heavier, much shorter slide spring to do job.

Naturally, a shorter and much heavier slide spring will begin losing its full compression strength much sooner than a longer, less heavy spring - that can suddenly cause feeding problems. Even though it's good practice to change out slide springs after 1000 rounds through a standard size 1911, most owners of the 3" barrel pistols recommend changing them out twice that often.

In addition to all the wise tips of ramp polishing and using only quality magazines on any SA, you must also use high-quality ammo in a 3" model because the el-cheapo stuff frequently doesn't have adequate power to quickly compress the stout slide spring fast and hard enough to prevent a feeding or ejection problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    All of the 3" 1911 style guns from any manufacturer seem to be a little finicky at times. This appears to be a crap shoot on a gun by gun basis, and Kimber is no different. I have an Ultra CDP II, that is a couple of years old, and has put around 1000 rounds of many different makes downrange, without a single failure. I may be one of the lucky ones, but just remember that you tend to hear of the bad much more than you hear of the good.

YMMV
    WHAT TEUFELHUNDE said is the truth. In my opinion I don't think John Mosses Browning intended on his awesome design having a three inch barrel. Having said this I had Kimber's most expensive Ultra Carry the CDP model that was crazy money and with the cheap nasty blued factory magazine i had all kind of problems until I ordered expensive wilson combat magazines for it. Mecgar magazines and Chip Mccormick magazines are way more affordable but you really shouldn't have to pay extra money for those magazines when you are buying an expensive Kimber...Kimber dropped the ball on this fact I have discovered. Short answer get a Pro-carry they are the awesome mid size 1911 that carries really well and are only an inch longer than the Ultra models...You will be happy and they will work with all kinds of magazine even the one that comes with the Kimber.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I have an Ultra Carry II, lots of rounds through it. Only problem I had was failure to feed with Hornady Critical Defense ammo, all other ammo, Power R Ball, hollow points from various mfg. were all fine. Its my carry weapon.

I've had a Kimber Ultra Carry II for a while and love the quality and size for carry.

Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be a Kimber owner here sometime in the near future!
    According to the manual that came with my Kimber, the gun "prefers" ball ammo. I've had many different personal defense JHP's that would not feed properly.
    Could be a magazine problem. First round fires and next round stovepipes. I'll try my Wilson Combat mags and see if there is improvement. Either way, if I were you, I'd make sure that whatever ammo you decide on will work each and every time you pull the trigger. You want to be 100% confident in your weapon if the need arises to defend yourself.

I have an Ultra Carry II. No problems. Its a joy to shoot and carry. I do have wilson mags.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Nope, I am with Teufelhunde. I have an ultra CDP II as well. See my avatar on left. It shoots great and has never been a problem in 500+ rounds. I do carry it as well, the key for me was getting a couple very good magazines for it. I bought 2 Chip McCormicks and never looked back. I shoot Several different ammos in it from ball ammo to JHP. I love the gun and do stake my life on it.
    No! No! No! You guys are crazy! Don't you know by now that most people on these gun boards despise Kimber because they can't afford one and only want to hear about the problems they have? Let's get with the program!!

I sport a kimber ultra carry. I ha a few problems with FTF using gold dots and golden eagles. I had the feed ramp polished and fixed a minor limp writing issue. I switched to hornady critical defense because it's shaped more like a ball point. The 1911 was designed for fmj not Hp. I have hundreds of rounds of hornady critical defense with no issues what so ever. I used Wilson combat mags as well.

Oh and btw every FTF I ever had was only on the last round on the mag. The HP would nose dive and get caught on the bottom of the feed ramp. Like I said before, the more point point shape of the critical defense fixes that issue for me

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    My Crimson Pro Carry II and Ultra Covert II (both Kimbers, the latter is my edc) have never failed with over 1200 rounds each through them. Love my Kimbers.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II that is my primary cary weapon. I also shoot it every wednesday evening in a friendly IDPA style competion. I purchased two 10rd Chip McCormick mags to give me additional cap to compete with the Glock Mod 17 guys. The 10rd mags seemed to start submarining the ball ammo lately in both myKimber and my Sig GSR. The Kimber and Sig mags are running flawless. All of my semi-auto will fail to continue to battery if I limp wrist them. I also use SAE 30 straight weight as my lube. The gun grease was causing it to gum up too easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links