Kimber Ultra carry concerns

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra carry concerns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't listen to the compact 1911 "haters" (just kidding)...I usually carry a Kimber Aegis or Ultra Carry and have done so for 4 years. Both ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra carry concerns

Don't listen to the compact 1911 "haters" (just kidding)...I usually carry a Kimber Aegis or Ultra Carry and have done so for 4 years. Both are accurate, easy to conceal and with the right magazines (Kim ProTac for the Ultra and Wilsons for the Aegis), 100% reliable with any name brand defensive ammo (I prefer Federal HST). Lately, I have thrown a 4 1/4" barreled Sig C3 in the rotation because it is a tad more accurate for me, feels better (the longer barrel balances it better for me) and is no harder to conceal (appendix IWB).

2. Remove Ads

I see that this is a old thread, but it concerns several problems I have had, first I have to say buying a 3 inch 1911 from just about any manufacturer is a crapshoot, if you get a good one great, but you are just as likely to get junk, years ago when I got the 1911 bug a bought a real nice Springfield full size, this gun seems to be a real tac driver, feeds anything, then a deal came up on a Colt Commander, this also shoots any ammo I stuff in it, then I got the bright, or possably stupid idea of wanting a 3 inch for carry, worked a deal on a Kimber Ultra Pro Raptor, very nice handleing gun accurate as anything, but it had operatonal issues, FTF and FTE, right off the bat, a good local smith had a look at it, polished the ramp and replaced the extractor it was better, but it still had issues, sent out to Kimber, get back 2 mts later, said replaced the extractor and polished chamber ??? it now works about like it did before the local guy looked at it, and also by now it has had well over 500 rds through it, so you can see by now I'm ready to put the gun on the target trolley and shoot it, the shop I deal with ahs been great about the whole thing and offered to trade back so, I trade for a small Spingfield 3 inch, would not get though a whole mag without issues, took it to another shop, traded for a small Sig 3 inch, not much better, next was a Para Slim Hog, now this gun was real junk it would not even cycle ball ammo, by now you can see how I was extreamly pissed, got away from the idea for a while, then a little shop I deal with got in a Colt Defender, after looking over for a couple days, it went home with me, and it has by now well over 1200 rds, though it all differant types, weights, no preferance to mags, nothing it just worked, except now my wife wanted one to, my main gun guy had a used one in the case, after 200 plus rds I decided it was junk also, take it back and the only 3 inch he had was a Kimber Ultra CDP, so we traded and mama now carrys the Colt and after 500+ rds without a hicup the Kimber is now my EDC, and at this time I would not trade ANY of my 1911s, sorry about the long rant, but a couple of things I really have to pass on is be very causus of a used 3 inch 1911, and if it is used and the ramp on the frame has been polished even a little, leave the gun where you found it, and lastly I could be wrong but personaly I thing this 400-500 rd break in is BULL, if it dont work right out of the box ether trade it or get your money back, maybe the manufacturer can fix it but also maybe not, meanwhile you have blown $200-$300 dollars trying to break it in

Wilson combat says the 1911 was made for 5" barrels, heavier slides - so guns like the Kimber Ultra can be finincky. He produces a special ammo for shorter barrels.
    I got a Kimber Ultra 9mm and haven't had problems except for magazines - $.50 cent mags for a $1000 pistol. The mag followers are stamped junk.

I still have my full size 1911. Had to get rid of my 3" cdp. I went back to glocks and pm9. Just lost faith in the 3" 1911's and needed something small. This is just my personal taste and in no way am I saying one is better than the other. I just needed to be confident in what I was carrying.
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

Kimber Ultra Carry or 3' M1911's

I regularly carry Kimber Ultra Carry pistols (I rotate between a black one and a stainless one). I also have an Ultra Aegis (9mm). All work fine with Kim Tac-Pro or Wilson Combat mags. I use any brass cased 230 grain ball for practice and carry 230 Grain Federal HST. I have had some issues with Remington ammo. Also, the reviews on the 3" Colts, new Sigs, and other ultra sized 1911's have been good.

Just bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II tonigh. We shall see if there is any truth to the fuss about short 1911s.

Kimber Ultra carry concerns

I carry a Kimber UCII.... follow the break in procedures... 500 rds of FMJ, then find a JHP round that feeds well... Mine never liked hornaday but it eats Golden Saber and Winchester Ranger just fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I refuse to carry a weapon for self defense until it has proven reliable. My Kimber Ultra carry II has proved itself. 500 rounds, zero failures...granted I'm not using the stock magazine..I use Wilson Combat. I have 4 and rotate them once in a while. I'm a Glock fan and always will be. G23 Gen 4 and G30 sf. Zero failures on all weapons. I would trust my life to all the pistols.

200 rounds through my UC II stainless so far with no problems.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Nope, I am with Teufelhunde. I have an ultra CDP II as well. See my avatar on left. It shoots great and has never been a problem in 500+ rounds. I do carry it as well, the key for me was getting a couple very good magazines for it. I bought 2 Chip McCormicks and never looked back. I shoot Several different ammos in it from ball ammo to JHP. I love the gun and do stake my life on it.
    Your avatar appears to be a Custom Shop S&W Revolver, or a similar frame make/model. Unless Kimber has really reworked their Ultra Carry! :)
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links