Kimber Ultra carry concerns

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra carry concerns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about buying a Kimber Ultra Carry II for my carry weapon. But I keep reading about all kinds of failures and jams, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra carry concerns

I am thinking about buying a Kimber Ultra Carry II for my carry weapon. But I keep reading about all kinds of failures and jams, Most of the postings I have read are a couple years old. Have they worked out the kinks or are they still an "iffy" fire gun? I would love to hear from some of you who own one. Thanks.

All of the 3" 1911 style guns from any manufacturer seem to be a little finicky at times. This appears to be a crap shoot on a gun by gun basis, and Kimber is no different. I have an Ultra CDP II, that is a couple of years old, and has put around 1000 rounds of many different makes downrange, without a single failure. I may be one of the lucky ones, but just remember that you tend to hear of the bad much more than you hear of the good.

YMMV

Nope, I am with Teufelhunde. I have an ultra CDP II as well. See my avatar on left. It shoots great and has never been a problem in 500+ rounds. I do carry it as well, the key for me was getting a couple very good magazines for it. I bought 2 Chip McCormicks and never looked back. I shoot Several different ammos in it from ball ammo to JHP. I love the gun and do stake my life on it.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

VIP Member
    The short barreled 1911's are very susceptible to limp wristing, magnifying and problems that might be there.

If the ramp has been properly polished, the chamber throat reamed, the extractor is tuned properly and quality magazines are used you should be good to go, provided you don't limp wrist it.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    No problems with 800 rds through my EDC Ultra CDP/LG. I use Kimber Pro Tac mags and hold it stiff when shooting. My heavier Combat Commander and Gold Cup get more range time and don't have to be held so tightly. Don't worry, when someone is trying to kill you, the grip will be plenty firm.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be a Kimber owner here sometime in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Don't worry, when someone is trying to kill you, the grip will be plenty firm.
    I like that and would add... a heavy trigger pull will not be noticed.

I'm on the look out for a compact 1911 also. It seems I get bombarded with Kimber advertisements daily (the American Rifleman magazine is always within reach of my favorite reading seat). At times I am weak and the ad makes me consider a Kimber again...that is until I start to research the model of the month. As soon as I come across all the complaints I snap out of it and write off Kimber...again...until the next AR issue arrives

I've had several Kimbers, Ultra, Compact, and Pro...sold them all to dive fully into Glocks.
    I did like the Kimbers and none of them ever gave me a problem, I just discovered the Dark Side, and I'm staying here.
    leathernuts likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm with resupt99 on this one. I love shooting the Kimber, but when it comes to carry, the Glock 26 gets the call EVERY time.

1000+ rounds through my Ultra Carry. Had a few feed problems during the first 100 rounds, changed to Wilson Combat mags and have not had a problem since.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    My 3" Kimber raptor gets rotated into the carry line-up with my battery of 4" Kimbers. I would recommend that you pay attention to the recoil spring however and replace it per the instructions.......
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Had an Ultra Raptor, Ultra CDP and a Pro Carry (4") and had no issues with any.

I just want to echo Blue's words. While I don't own any Kimbers right now, I have owned quite a few over the years. I always used Wilson Wilson Combat magazines and could probably count the number of feeding issues to be less than 10 in 1000's of rounds.
    NRA Life Member

I stopped counting at 1000rnds.

The gun has ran without a hitch....one of the few guns that I can say honestly has ran flawless since the time i got it two or so years back.

Smarshe likes this.

Heres my story: My first experience with Kimber was an Ultra Ten II and that thing was flawless. Sold me on Kimber, but it was difficult to find a holster for because of the poly frame. So my second was a Ultra CDP II. I was extremely excited as this was the one I had always wanted. Unfortunately, I could never get it to shoot at the range without an FTF until I picked up Kimpro Tac Mag. Not one problem with that mag, but by that time I had given up on Kimber despite I had on order a Kimber Warrior that came, but the LGS decided to spend my money on their financial difficulties. Long story short they had one Kimber Customer II with N/S and to make it right, they gave me that, some extra Night Hawk mags and a crismson trace laser. That one has only had one FTF and thats it but I dont carry it. Whatever, Im off subject. I really didnt want to mess with it, but I was told and have read, that the 3" sometimes require some fine tuning and can become some excellent carry pistols.
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links