Range time with the wife

This is a discussion on Range time with the wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife surprised me the other night by suggesting that we go on a double date to the local range's ladies night. A friend ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By tacman605

Thread: Range time with the wife

Range time with the wife

So my wife surprised me the other night by suggesting that we go on a double date to the local range's ladies night.
    A friend of hers recently picked up a p238 and I've been eager to try one out, so we rented the p238 and the p232. Out of the four of us, three were really impressed with the 238 but of course my wife liked the 232 better. She wants to go back and try putting 100 rounds or so through it but it seems like we finally found something other than the Ruger 22/45 that she actually likes.
    I've been researching the Bersa thunder a lot, and wonder how you feel about one for carry vs the 232.

sent via Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

What a cool thing to do, to take your woman out to the range on a date. The more they understand firearms the more they like it and see the fun in a shooting sport. I have found that when you get them something that don't beat them up they walk away with a smile on their face because they have fun. We need to make range time more inviting for them and when they get interested it’s a win-win for everyone
    Bullet1234 likes this.

VIP Member
    Ah you said the forbidden words "I've been researching" Let her research her own. It will not matter what the gunwriters, range gurus or anyone else says she will decide in the end. Just sit back let her shoot and get the checkbook ready.
    BillK likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    I vote for whatever she wants.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Have to agee with the others, let her decide what is the right gun for her.

Would you want someone to pick out a Taurus for you when what you want is a Colt?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

wow...what a coincidence....I finally got my wife to the range last week....she was obviously nervous and I was able to get her to relax...told her the range rules...and at first she was hitting the floor of the range....got her to see the sites and how to site the target ...once she got the basics..she was able to walk it right into the x ring.....I had her shooting at about 20-25 ft....she actually thought it was fun!!...I've been trying to get her to the gun range for about 20 yrs now...

I got her to get her CWP last yr.....

I am hopeful she will hit the range with me a few more times..

Steve

I guess you're right as far as letting her pick what she wants. We're going to see if she still likes it next time.
    As far as the date night, this was her third time at the range with me, all three her idea. We've come a long way from her shooting 5 rounds out of my Glock 23, to taking one shot with an lcp and just saying "no" and walking away, to her actually enjoying the P232.
    The other couple that went with us has an xdm that the husband keeps unloaded next to his bed. My wife thinks I should be keeping mine that way too, so we are still working on a few things here. Oh well, baby steps.

Good deal! I see no problem in doing some up front legwork to help her narrow the choices in selecting a firearm, as long as she tries them and then makes the final decision.

For storage, I suggest for self defense keeping it loaded in a quick access safe that you can open without looking. I often read about homeowners waking up to find an intruder right in their bedroom. You wouldn't want them to gain access to the firearm while you're sleeping.

- Sent via Tapatalk on Android -

Your a lucky man. My wife hates guns.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

jes3se you are a blessed man...i am green with envy

Thanks guys. I just got a text from her that she is dying to go back and shoot the p232 more. This time she doesn't want to share with her friends, just wants a target and a box of 50 rounds. I guess I can't complain.

Links