Any such thing as an "All Around" pistol?

This is a discussion on Any such thing as an "All Around" pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings to everyone I was just wondering if there is any such thing as an, "All Around" pistol. One which could be used as CCW, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any such thing as an "All Around" pistol?

Greetings to everyone
    I was just wondering if there is any such thing as an, "All Around" pistol. One which could be used as CCW, home defense, range gun, etc. Like to keep it in 9mm cal. From the research I've done so far, anything small enough for CC will tear up your hand after 50 rounds at the range. This would be my future CCW weapon when we finally get out of, "Ill Annoy", and into Arizona. Thanks in advance.

Lead Moderator
    guess it depends on how much recoil the gun has, and how small you want to go. The shorter the sight radius , the less potential accuracy. Maybe a 9mm 1911 , 4" barrel might be a good all around range,ccw, home defense gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'll second what Rocky wrote.
    I'd add either an XD or Glock with a 4" barrel.
    Dave

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    not an auto.
    .357 , 4"bbl in any name brand.
    There's your all around gun.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

i think AFS pretty much nailed it down. a .357 magnum revolver gives you more than adequate defensive power, as well as the option of shooting .38 special bullets for all day range trips or for the recoil sensitive (personally id recommend the S&W 686 in 4" or maybe 2.5" for easier carry).

however, you did specifically state 9mm. i highly recommend you look at the glock 19. i dont much care for the grip angle, but the g19 is indeed a perfect "all around" 9mm. the size is perfect for carry, the handle is plenty wide to distribute recoil, and it just "fits" for everything ive ever wanted to do with a handgun (except ankle carry).

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    All around gun?!?!

Absolutely not!!!!

You must have at least one for each purpose, preferably two. Then you'll need to get one for each season. Don't forget a truck/car gun. A waterproof bathroom gun. A yardwork gun. A pocket gun. And a computer gun (not sure what that means).

Really. I have not found a person yet, that can own only one gun. It's kind of like a disease, or Lays potato chips. No one can have just one.

If you find one that you like, that you shoot well with, and fills your needs, then you have it. I'm thinking Glock.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Administrator
    If I had to toss all of my eggs into one 9mm basket...I would save up my pennies & spring for a minty, vintage, Series 70 Colt Combat Commander in 9.
    Then I would use it but, not abuse it & never lose it.

If you include hunting into "all around", then you have to move up to the larger, more potent, calibers. That then rules out range gun, unless your range time is dedicated to more distance shooting that may mimic the hunt.

With hunting omitted, then the 9 mm is a great choice. I see my Beretta 92G-SD as an all around gun. I had some trigger work done to it so it's a great range and IDPA competition gun. With it's CTAC holster, it suffices for winter carry, when I have a cover garment that's a bit larger and will help me hide it. And, with the tactical light on its rail it's a good house defense gun. Yep, that's an all around gun.

My vote - Sig P228

I think my vote for all around 9mm would go to the Sig P228, a compact 9mm that is small enough to CCW, but with a comfortable grip for range use and magazine with significant capacity. The picture below is by Ken Lunde of one of his guns:

Lead Moderator
    Lots of good choices. you need to pick what feels right to you and you can conceal daily.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Single answer: http://www.kahr.com/pistols_TP9093novak.html

There is really no all round handgun, but if your primary use is self-defense then this should fit the bill in 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Springfield XD-series are nice all-around guns IMHO. Having only one pistol would be tragic though. For me, trying to pick one out would be like trying to decide on the one and only shirt to be worn everyday for all occasions.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I'd vote for either the Glock M19 or a Sig P226... maybe the SAS model for the Sig.

BTW, Talonap...welcome to the forum!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by stmichps View Post
    Single answer...for YOU. I personally don't like Kahrs. I think this thread has shown us many answers...yours among them.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

JT
    If I had to pick one gun in 9mm, it would be a Glock 19.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links