Ruger Alaskan with .44 Special

This is a discussion on Ruger Alaskan with .44 Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Read a post recently about using .44 Special for carry and considered its use in my Ruger Alaskan. It's a HEAVY gun but not so ...

Thread: Ruger Alaskan with .44 Special

Read a post recently about using .44 Special for carry and considered its use in my Ruger Alaskan. It's a HEAVY gun but not so much that I think it'd be difficult to CARRY....but I do think the weight would really damper the recoil of the .44 Special round.

Anybody who's used this round in magnum....let me know your results.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I've shot a bunch of .44 Special equivalent handloads in a long-barreled Smith & Wesson Model 29, the load consisting of 8.0 grains of Unique under a 245-250 grain lead semi-wadcutter. It's a cream puff in the Magnum revolver and addictive to shoot. At 949 fps from the 8 3/8-inch barrel it actually can accomplish much of what a handgun could be called on to do.

The traditional standard factory .44 Special load using a 246 grain lead round nose bullet is a powder puff load in the Magnum revolver. This load clocks a bit less than 800 fps from the .44 Magnum and only about 730 fps from a 5-inch barreled .44 Special kept around here. Even such a light load is still a pretty good thumper down on the receiving end with the big, heavy bullet.

Undoubtedly, in that Ruger Alaskan, any .44 Special load would feel extremely mild as the revolver's mass would soak up recoil very well.

It's easy to make really accurate handloads for the .44 Special that will shoot tighter than most can hold. It's a grand big-bore cartridge to show off.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links