Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto - Page 2

Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto

This is a discussion on Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a full size & compact 40, neither have a thumb-safety or magazine disconnects or internal lock. Both are carried in a Comp-Tac MTAC ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto

I have a full size & compact 40, neither have a thumb-safety or magazine disconnects or internal lock. Both are carried in a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster or a Safariland 6378 ALS OWB holster. I use the same precautions with it as I do with any pistol or revolver that I carry or handle

I carry the 45c and would highly recommend it if you're okay with .45ACP as a defensive cartridge and are okay with the capacity of 8+1. I am, on both counts.

As mentioned already, the M&Ps are generally available with thumb safety if that's what you prefer, and while the 45c I own does not have that safety, I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy that version IF I knew I could release the safety in a manner similar to that of the 1911. Here's my view--the gun is 'safe' provided you've really ingrained the the Four Rules, and your trigger finger NEVER touches the trigger unless you're shooting at something. This applies as much to a weapon with external (manual) safety as it does to one without it.

Anyway, a HUGELY important comment was made above re: recovering to the holster. There's an otherwise pretty good YouTube training video out there where recovery to the holster is shown as an almost immediate step following engaging the target. It almost looks as though getting that weapon back in the holster is important and needs to be done pronto.

That's not good practice, and I've seen students get seriously corrected for it. Ensuring the threat you think you just stopped isn't a threat and ensuring it was the only threat has to be done with the gun in a ready position. 'Quick' recovery to the holster probably isn't necessary, but, you have to be aware of outerwear, drawstrings, T-shirts, etc.

Point is, no-safety weapons that are essentially single-action (such as the M&Ps) do require strict attention to that trigger and associated finger. I see no reason any kind of holster won't work just fine, however, even though I personally will only use Kydex-type holsters.

My opinion is this: for any number of reasons, you may feel more comfortable with an external safety. If so, I don't believe you sacrifice anything in terms of readiness. Just grind into your brain matter that the safety can't make you safer if you don't obey the Four Rules, and you'll be just fine. I see it pretty much like holster retention devices--again, training makes these little steps non-obstacles.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; January 2nd, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

I carry my 4.25" M&P Pro9 in a Safariland 18 IWB holster when I'm not carrying my 4003. I have an M&P9c on order for warmer weather.

They are awesome

I have a M&P 45 compact

That is in the carry rotation
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I own an M&P compact, and know more than a handfull of people with an M&P in some cal./configuration.

I DO NOT HAVE THE SAFETY< I think only one individual has it, and he has removed it.

Its perfectly safe.
    Its basically the same trigger setup(hinged) thats on the Sigma, and there haven't been any horror stories about that.

FWIW, anyone reading, who may be contemplating getting an M&P, you can buy the compact version, then buy some FS mags to put in it for greater capacity.
    You can buy a mag sleeve extension for it as well, so it looks like its a FS grip.
    To the Original post. The trigger comment about it being to light, is like saying that Glocks are unsafe because of their trigger design. They are perfectly safe, as long as you keep your booger hook of the bang switch, it will be fine.

I Own a M&P40, my gf has the M&P9c, my dad the M&P9c, my boss the M&P40c, my manager the M&P9, my uncle (post is above) has the M&P9c... none of these handguns have ever "gone off" due to a light trigger.

Any handgun you are carrying you should have in a good holster and you will be fine.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Carried a .45 FS for some time. Just couldn't get used to the trigger. Went back to Glock in the last two weeks. Like the gun, but not enough for EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought this tonight.

M&P 9 in Flat Dark Earth. It comes with 3 hi-cap magazines, Blade Tec Holster, Blade Tec Mag Carrier & Uplula Mag Loader.

Since I had to go to Cabela's across state line it will have to be sent to FFL so I should be able to pick it up on Friday. Too bad I couldn't walk out with it tonight. Especially after driving 200 miles round trip.

Tomorrow I'm ordering Trijicon HD night sights and will should have them installed as soon as they come in, if they aren't in stock at my friends gun shop.

I can't wait to shoot it. Will probably add Apex trigger kit, but want to break-in the factory trigger and see how it is first.

I will post my own pics after I get to shoot it and give a quick AAR.

Trijicon HD Night Sights I've seen both colors of these sights on M&P's in person. The orange and especially the yellow really "pop" in any type of ambient light and especially in full daylight. Almost like Fiber Optics but are luminescent paint so any light makes them active for a period. The center dots are standard green tritium.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

sgb
    Wife totes a M&P 9c
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I daily-carry a M&P 9c during the cooler months. When it gets hot out, I down-size to the LC9.

Bark'n, looking forward to those pics!

- Sent via Tapatalk on Android -

I edc a 4.25 m&p9 with a thesis holster and on condidtion 1, and with just jeans and one a t shirt. Grip may print a little but nobody is the wiser. I do not see why would anybody carry a compact unless they need a tucked shirt or maybe a skin tight shirt.

I follow good habits and look the gun in the whole way, that is the only nd time for this gun, so dont be stupid and you wont be shot.

Trigger is perfect, wife did 25/25 on her ccl shooting test as did i, and she only shot about 50 rounds to get ready for it.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Quote Originally Posted by ashamans View Post
    I do not see why would anybody carry a compact unless they need a tucked shirt or maybe a skin tight shirt.
    Weight.

If I remember right, printing is "not allowed" in Texas. State laws will vary.

- Sent via Tapatalk on Android -

I carry a full size M&P 40 in a Galco Yaqui Paddle holster and feel perfectly comfortable.Rides well under a jacket or flannel and trigger is sufficiently covered.Should be second nature to keep your finger away from trigger until weapon is on target.

My M&P 9c is one of the best autos I own.... Everyday when I get home I swap out my CM9 and 638 for my M&P yust is case a couple three or four clowns wants to kick down my door... 13 rounds of 9mm +p will get um tagged and bagged.

And congrats "Bark'n" nice selection... IMO, the M&P is what a combat sidearm should look and perform like.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links