Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto

This is a discussion on Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ashamans I do not see why would anybody carry a compact unless they need a tucked shirt or maybe a skin tight ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto

Quote Originally Posted by ashamans View Post
    I do not see why would anybody carry a compact unless they need a tucked shirt or maybe a skin tight shirt.
    Er..... because my fullsized M&P 9 is entirely too large to carry IWB. I'm an average-sized woman, and I also have a very physically demanding job. The M&P is fun at the range, but I carry a G26. I am as accurate with my Glock as I am with the M&P, and with a simple mag switch, I can have 15, 17, 19, 33 rounds to go. Bigger isn't necessarily better, unless you are talking caliber, not bore length.

2. Remove Ads

Have M&P 9C. It's perfect. Get a good holster for it and be confident. The trigger is not that easy that you should be worried about negligent discharges. Also that's good advice to always "watch it in" when reholstering. There is not a reason to hurry when returning it to the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by protek View Post
    Er..... because my fullsized M&P 9 is entirely too large to carry IWB. I'm an average-sized woman, and I also have a very physically demanding job. The M&P is fun at the range, but I carry a G26. I am as accurate with my Glock as I am with the M&P, and with a simple mag switch, I can have 15, 17, 19, 33 rounds to go. Bigger isn't necessarily better, unless you are talking caliber, not bore length.
    I do not beleive that it is too big or heavy for iwb unless your pretty small. I like what i carry and i am glad you do too.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

I do not see why would anybody carry a compact unless they need a tucked shirt or maybe a skin tight shirt.
    'Compact' is kind of relative...I mean an M&P 45c is called a compact but it's not what I would consider small. In any case, if you can hit with a smaller weapon and the capacity penalty isn't an issue for you, then I see no reason NOT to go smaller. I certainly shoot my 45c more accurately than any other handgun I've fired, so accuracy isn't an issue. The capacity of 8+1 of course is an issue for lots of folks--it's simply not an issue for me.

So, I'd think a 40c or 9c would be excellent choices for those wanting a few more rounds and far-more-than-adequate accuracy.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    After a lot of research and searching I finaly put money down on an M&P full size 40cal. My regular carry is a J frame and I didn't buy the M&P with the intention of making it my carry. I personaly didn't feel that the M&P was the safest gun to carry unless it was in a rigid Kydex holster or similar. It doesn't have the thumb safety and, if you own one, you know how gentle the trigger is compared to a DA revolver. It's almost exactly like a SA auto with the hammer cocked. Once the slide is racked back the weapon is 98% cocked and the trigger does little more than release the striker. I seem to recall though that I have seen guys on this forum who carry an M&P and would like to get your feedback and opinions on it. I fully understand that the shooter is the most important safety but it sure seems like the M&P would be far less forgiving than most. From what I've read it is very similar to the glock which has one of if not the highest incidences of negligent discharges with police departments. Above most other things the trigger needs to be absolutely protected. If you carry what do you use and how do you feel about it's safety for concealed carry. The police have an advantage in that their holsters and carry method do not need to conceal the weapon.
    The trigger finger in the trigger guard is the reason negligent discharges happen and they do offer the M&P with a manual safety. I carry mine both on and off duty and have never had a problem and I use a nylon inside the pants holster..The problem you are talking about did happen when Serpa first made their holster for the full size M&P's what happened is the extended plastic flap was getting bent over into the trigger guards upon reholstering which is like your finger in there and "boom"...as for the trigger being light..it's about the same as the XD between 4.5 and 5.5 pounds where is the Glock is even less. My 27 has been broken in so much from firing thousands of rounds it's probably down to 3.5..Don't discount the M&P...I'm glad we wen't to them for our duty weapon.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I've owned 5 M&Ps. All full size except the 45 compact, which isn't nearly as small as the 9/40/357 compacts. Didn't like it very much though, so I stuck with the full size 9mm's and 45.

I removed the thumb safeties on the new that had it and relaxed them with the plugs from S&W. I installed the DCAEK kits, the most recent also got the RAM. My carry M&P9 had Warren front and rear tritium with the single dot rear. Very nice handguns.

I would hit it lightly with a Dremel where the front strap meets the trigger guard and contour it just a bit, then remove the lip at the bottom and run all 10-8 basepads for my mags. I've consolidate to Glocks for now, but will likely pick up another M&P soon now that the new stuff is coming out.

There were some issues with early unlocking on 9mm's causing a slight decrease in accuracy. There's a new barrel omits way that takes care of this. Also, with Apex's new trigger, which I ran in my buddy's and it's unbelieveable, it makes for one of the best all around handguns.

I always recommend them when someone is looking for a new handgun whether it's for range time, competition or carry.

Probably hard to tell in this pic, but all three have the 10-8 basepads and some Dremel work. I was still giving the thumb safeties a try and would have kept them if they were more like a 1911 thumb safety. I did a bit of Dremeling and contouring to them so they didn't have such an abrupt edge. It helped a lot, but I still prefer them without it.

Bark'n likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Awesome collection "J"....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

M&P 9c is a Fine CC, Like said before a good holster and your good to go ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Awesome collection "J"....
    Thank you sir....

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    M&P 9c is a Fine CC, Like said before a good holster and your good to go ; )H/D
    I think if I was going to carry a compact handgun, it would be a Glock 19 or M&Pc. Personally, though, I've never had an issue carrying a full size handgun. I wear jeans/pants and t-shirts quite often or a fitted button down and occasionally a suit and I've never had an issue carrying any handgun. Right now I carry a Glock 17 in a Raven outside the waistband.

I carry inside the waistband if I'm carrying with a light on my handgun or I'll be somewhat active and wearing a t-shirt. Just me, not saying a compact is it a good idea, there's even been a time or two that a compact would have been nice. I just find that I shoot more accurately at speed with a duty size handgun.

I see a lot of guys carry compact handgun because they think it's easier to conceal. I bet if we took a group of 10 people and had them carry the full size model of their carry handgun for a month, at least half would switch over.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio

I see a lot of guys carry compact handgun because they think it's easier to conceal. I bet if we took a group of 10 people and had them carry the full size model of their carry handgun for a month, at least half would switch over.
    2 things, weres the shotgun?

And i think your the first to agree with me

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I carry a .45 full size with safety and one in chamber. I don't at all feel that it will slow me down in a SD situation but like others said this is all personal preference. I also own a 9c and its great also. They are the best guns going IMHO.
    I have a M&P .45 full size as well & use it strictly for practice & HD. I never thought to carry it until reading this thread. Now I want a holster to see how it feels. What's the best holster for conceal carry? Is it not only comforting, but comfortable too???
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

hybrid holsters seem to be a great choice, cheap and effective, mine is a theis holster, 55 bucks and if you dont like it in two weeks send it back, he is a supporting vendor

2 things, weres the shotgun?And i think your the first to agree with me
    Funny, it's one thing I don't really have any pics of. I have a number of other ARs, 1911's and a couple Barretts that you'll see pics of in the defensive rifle subforum and a couple other places.

I spend about 99% of my training on ARs and a Glock 17 now that I hardly ever get out there with a shotgun. Sometime this year I'm going to do an 870 project though and get it nice and tricked out.

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    I have a M&P .45 full size as well & use it strictly for practice & HD. I never thought to carry it until reading this thread. Now I want a holster to see how it feels. What's the best holster for conceal carry? Is it not only comforting, but comfortable too???

As for concealed carry holsters, I've used everything from a simple pancake style, Milt Sparks VMII, Crossbreed, Comptac, Raven, as well as less concealable holsters. My preference for strictly concealed carry is a Crossbreed, but I like upside the waistband, even with t-shirts, and prefer the Raven. It's extremely robust, thin and sturdy, plus you can buy different pieces that allow IWB or OWB and you can run the loops close or spread out similar to the Crossbreed/VMII style. I really like the M4 magazine kydex for the belt.

I feel completely safe carrying this with one in the pipe at all times possible. The ND problems with the glock are simply because 70% of PD's carry glocks. The more that use it, the higher the number. After researching the striker fired pisol, I feel 100% confident in my EDC (MP9C). I carry in a CBST as much as possible, use an LC9 in another hybrid holster or pocket holster when it's not possible. Our state PD just switched to the M&P and everyone I have asked how they feel about the change have LOVED the M&P. Striker fired autos are the way nowadays, very safe, light, high cap, reliable and concealable. M&P or Glock, you can't go wrong (this coming from a converted steel gun/wheel gun diehard, (I still LOVE my 1911, but am now a combat tupperware fan as well).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links