Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto

This is a discussion on Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a lot of research and searching I finaly put money down on an M&P full size 40cal. My regular carry is a J frame ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone carrying a Smith M&P auto

After a lot of research and searching I finaly put money down on an M&P full size 40cal. My regular carry is a J frame and I didn't buy the M&P with the intention of making it my carry. I personaly didn't feel that the M&P was the safest gun to carry unless it was in a rigid Kydex holster or similar. It doesn't have the thumb safety and, if you own one, you know how gentle the trigger is compared to a DA revolver. It's almost exactly like a SA auto with the hammer cocked. Once the slide is racked back the weapon is 98% cocked and the trigger does little more than release the striker. I seem to recall though that I have seen guys on this forum who carry an M&P and would like to get your feedback and opinions on it. I fully understand that the shooter is the most important safety but it sure seems like the M&P would be far less forgiving than most. From what I've read it is very similar to the glock which has one of if not the highest incidences of negligent discharges with police departments. Above most other things the trigger needs to be absolutely protected. If you carry what do you use and how do you feel about it's safety for concealed carry. The police have an advantage in that their holsters and carry method do not need to conceal the weapon.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I am picking up an M&P 9mm Pro series this week, but it'll be my 1st M&P so I don't know how they feel. I am expecting to be impressed. It is too big for carry, I want it for HD and IDPA competition. My Glock 26 is my carry and is pretty much always in a holster which covers the trigger (on a good gun belt). That's good advise.

VIP Member
    They are fantastic to carry as they are very reliable, many PD's and State Patrol have been converting to M&P left and right. I have no issues with the level o safety, just get a holster to cover the trigger. You will get used to it.
    Porp and Pistology like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I carry a full sized .357 SIG model that has a thumb safety. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB carry.
    --------------------
    "Nothing is so dangerous as an idea, when it is the only one you have." -- Emile Chartier

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    They are fantastic to carry as they are very reliable, many PD's and State Patrol have been converting to M&P left and right. I have no issues with the level o safety, just get a holster to cover the trigger. You will get used to it.

^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I own an M&P compact, and know more than a handfull of people with an M&P in some cal./configuration.

I DO NOT HAVE THE SAFETY< I think only one individual has it, and he has removed it.

Its perfectly safe.
    Its basically the same trigger setup(hinged) thats on the Sigma, and there haven't been any horror stories about that.

FWIW, anyone reading, who may be contemplating getting an M&P, you can buy the compact version, then buy some FS mags to put in it for greater capacity.
    You can buy a mag sleeve extension for it as well, so it looks like its a FS grip.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The pistol is safe, keep it holstered and it won't go off!

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

I have the M&P .40Cal. full sise and love it. It's a very nice looking gon and feels great in my hands. I use the small grips and medium must of the time cant decide between the two. Ive had it for about 3 years or more now and never had any problems with it. I have a leather holster for it over the belt and a cheap uncle mikes #15 in the waistband and use that most of the time, really hides the gun well even in a pair of shorts and t-shirt in the summer. I would highly recomend this fire arm to anyone.

The m&p can be purchased with or without an external safety. I carry a 9c (without safety) in an MTAC holster. Most decent holsters cover the trigger guard completely.

In general, striker fired pistol triggers are not quite as light as single action triggers. Maybe in the range of 5.5 lbs versus 4 lbs..? But, still pretty light, so observe the basic safety rules always (this applies to DA guns too).

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

My cousin and uncle both bought M&P 9s for concealed carry a couple weeks ago, but they both decided to get safeties. The gun salesman and I both recommended against it, but they felt more comfortable with one. The important thing to remember (with any gun) is there is no rush to reholster. I believe that is where most negligent discharges happen. Keep your finger off the trigger and pull any fabric near the holster up and away and you won't have a problem. Practice drawing and reholstering for a few minutes everyday with an unloaded gun. Pretty soon safely reholstering it will become second nature.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Agreed. Having an external safety is mostly a matter of preference as far as civilians go. Just be sure to train to disable during firearm presentation and enable when returning to the ready position.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

I primarily bought mine to use for target and plinking use. Also as a "go to" in case the SHTF. In any of those scenarios the chamber would remain empty until I was actually ready to fire. However, it is possible that I may wish to carry it under some circumstances. I bought the .40cal because I got an amazing deal on a new gun but also because it can be easily converted to 9mm where as it is not possible going the other direction without also changing the slide. I may get some argument on this but I have spoken to too many people who do it regularly and have fired thousands of rounds in both calibers from the same gun with virtually no problems. The one recurring problem has been the last round hanging up when using 9mm's in the 40cal magazines. No problems when using the correct mag. This seems to vary though with some reporting they have never had a problem with the 40cal mags.

Mine is a full size 357 SIG. I carry it in one of Tim Thurner's IWB holsters. They are safe to carry. Just as safe as Glocks, I imagine. The only time mine goes off is when I want it to. No mag problems, no malfunctions of any kind. Yeah, I carry it chambered. Not a bit afraid. Smith got this one right. It's a dandy.

I carry a .45 full size with safety and one in chamber. I don't at all feel that it will slow me down in a SD situation but like others said this is all personal preference. I also own a 9c and its great also. They are the best guns going IMHO.

My wife & I both carry FS M&P 9s and like them very much. I have 5000 + rounds through mine and my wife is a little behind with only 3000+ rounds through hers. Both are very reliable.

I prefer Com-Tac IWB and she prefers OWB.
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I've carried a FS45(no external safety) for the last 4yrs. OWB in a Tagua holster. The trigger pull is at 4.25# and I have no worries about AD/ND.
    Once it's holstered, DON'T MESS WITH IT.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links