.357 Sig Recoil question? Glock 32 or 33....

This is a discussion on .357 Sig Recoil question? Glock 32 or 33.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How is the .357 Sig's recoil? How does it compare with the 9mm for instance? I have a G26... how will it compare with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: .357 Sig Recoil question? Glock 32 or 33....

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

Question .357 Sig Recoil question? Glock 32 or 33....

How is the .357 Sig's recoil? How does it compare with the 9mm for instance? I have a G26... how will it compare with the Glock 33? or what other caliber is it close to? .357Mag? a hot .40? I am considering another Glock, and am curious about the .357 Sig.

I am just trying to get an idea of what it feels like. I also have a Glock 29SF which I enjoy shooting and its recoil is not a problem.

I would appreciate any comments.

2. Remove Ads

if you have no problems with the 29, you will think the .357SIG out of a Glock is a pussycat. Very loud, but using 125gr WWB from Walmart, you will wonder what all the fuss is about. The Corbon 125 grainers are a little bit more to handle.....and a lot of fun to shoot. The dual recoil springs of the Glock 33 dampens the recoil a bunch, and well.....you'll enjoy shooting it. I have the G32 and G33 and they are great carry guns with a little extra punch than the 9mm....since they are basically a 9mm magnum. I picked up a Storm Lake G23 .40 barrel which interchanges nicely and works perfectly if you feel the urge to shoot .40SW. Glock .357SIG and .40SW mags are interchangeable.

not sure if I've come close to answering your question, but recoil is more than the 9mm, but not by much. Shooting a G33 vs a G26?? Not a whole lot of difference other that its really, really loud. You will annoy your neighbors at the gun range.

My carry load in .357SIG is Hornady 147gr at 1250 fps. Heavy and fast.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have a G33 and it's actually pretty smooth. Definitely less kick than 357 magnum out of a Ruger SP101. I enjoy shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I am just trying to get an idea of what it feels like...I would appreciate any comments.
    It pushes back harder than .40 but has less muzzle snap / flip. I've shot it out of glocks and sigs. Have shot a G23 and G32 back to back - did not like the 23 at all and the 32 was nice. The Sig was a 229. The round has a very audible "crack" as opposed to a "boom". No experience with the 33, but did own a 27.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Consider a P229. The gun the round was designed for. As a added bonus... it's a Sig.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It sounds worse, but isn't.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a Sig P229 with a 40 barrel & a 357 sig barrel. I also have a S&W M&Pc with a 40 barrel & a 357 sig barrel.

That being said. I find the 357 sig to be somewhere between 9 & 40. I have heard other people say it is identical to 40, but I have not found that to be the case personally. I carry Winchester Ranger t-series 180 gr in 40 and Doubletap 158 gr in 357 sig.

Hope this helps.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The G32 has less recoil than the G33 which can become painful to shoot for me around the 30th round mark,
    as the recoil isn't so bad but my hand starts buzzing.

Double Tap +P ammo in 125 gr. is/was quite an experience in either gun but the 147 was very sweet to shoot as well with less recoil.

My M&P 357 Compact has less recoil than the G32 or G33, but I guess because it fits me so well.

I run a full size M&P with Gold Dots. Snappier than a 9, easier than any 40 I have shot, including my 229. Very accurate. My favorite carry gun. Only problem with a 357 SIG is feeding it. She is a spendy date. Ammo can be a pain to find.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    zonker's pretty spot-on, with what I've experienced.

It's nowhere near a .357 Magnum.

I pretty much am along the same line of thinking as those who "feel" that the .357 Sig as a "hot 9x19." If you don't have an issue with a +P 9x19, you'll be fine with the .357 Sig.

No one I know that has changed a .40S&W for a 357Sig has changed back.

A better question is what logical reason is there to use .357 sig? Its terminal performance doesn't show any noticeable difference from 9mm, and is slightly worse than .40 for the same capacity and increased cost.

Winchester Ranger-T

Federal HST

Speer Gold Dot
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Thanks for the links Texag. Looks like the .357 sig round in the Speer Gold Dots does.
    Anyway, I never felt the sig round has too much recoil. At least in my.... p226
    Good luck on yours tony.............................. Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    A better question is what logical reason is there to use .357 sig? Its terminal performance doesn't show any noticeable difference from 9mm, and is slightly worse than .40 for the same capacity and increased cost.

Winchester Ranger-T

Federal HST

Speer Gold Dot
    Our resident ill informed 357Sig hater.
    zonker1986 and .XX like this.

As usual Texag spots a 357Sig thread and throws in a negative comment, with out even trying to give any constructive answer/advice/input to the OP's question what so ever........We get it Texag, you don't care for the 357Sig, but thanks for sharing, again.

As to the OP's question, I have a Glock 22, 27, and Sig 229 all with .40S&W and 357Sig barrels. In recoil comparision the 357Sig is a little snappier, but not all that much, especially after you shoot it and get used to it some. For a Glock 33, I'd say pretty comparable recoil to a hot 9mm load out of a Glock 26. On a side note it is louder though.

As Zonker1986 stated, if you are ok with a Glock 29, you won't have any issues with a 357Sig.
    .XX likes this.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links