Any Ruger LC9 Owners Out There? - Page 2

Any Ruger LC9 Owners Out There?

This is a discussion on Any Ruger LC9 Owners Out There? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You will need very large pockets to comfortably carry the LC9....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any Ruger LC9 Owners Out There?

You will need very large pockets to comfortably carry the LC9.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have one and keeping it.
    This is another option for a laser cost around 80-90 dollars if you shop around
    Laserlyte — SML Ruger/Kel-Tec 9mm

No, I don't think the LC9 makes for an easy pocket carry, unless we're talking a large coat or such. I've got a holsterpro pocket holster for it, for those kinds of occasions, but IWB or OWB, with a good holster it will disappear and you will rarely notice you're carrying it.

The trigger issue is largely addressed by removing the magazine disconnect safety, and range time will get you familiar and comfortable shooting it. For me, it took around 600 rounds before my accuracy got to where I'm confident of hitting anything at target at distances up to 30 feet.

The LC9 has rounded edges all around, and it's really solid - feeds anything, including any JHP I've tried in it. It's this quality of total reliability that gives me confidence in making it an EDC. I also enjoy carrying the SR9c, and that's another one to try out. Having the option of 10+1 or 17+1 is very nice.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I really like the LC9. I pocket carry (in a holster) 8- 15 hrs a day,no problem. Probably the best thing to do is try it and see what is right for you. The right pants help.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I carry the LC9 in a IWB Hybrid from Tommy Theis. I'm in business dress most days so wear it tucked in under my dress shirt. Its nice I don't have to unholster every time I hit the WI / MN border now to be legal. It took me about a week to find the sweet spot for me right about 4:30 on the belt. Its very comfortable you may need to go up a pants size, mine were already a little loose so it was good incentive to drop a few pounds and not update my wardrobe.

Make sure you have a solid belt most important. The LC9 shoots well, one tip is take the trigger all the way to the joint of your and pull straight back, it smooths out with shooting as well. I'd rather carry my SR9 or HP but I must be discreet at all times, and prefer the little 9.

good luck
    shoot straight and shoot often
    GF

I took my wife on Monday to get a EDC. We started with the LCP, which was too small for her hands and didn't feel comfortable to her. The salesman then showed us the LC9 and she fell in love with it...and I must say, it felt good in my hands as well. I went to look at a M&P .40 and a XD .40 for me to carry, but I couldn't line the sights up as quick with either one like I could with the LC9 and they didn't feel as comfortable. Long story short, I bought 2 LC9s!

I got them all cleaned up today and will get out to the range on Thursday. Needless to say we are both excited on the new additions!

My wife recently got and LC9 and it's been a good gun thus far. The trigger is quite smooth, and it's fed everything I've given it so far. It's too big for me to pocket carry, but works nicely for IWB or appendix carry. I made a holster for each. It's great for when my SR9c is just a little too big to conceal easily, but to be honest, I'd recommend the SR9c or a similar sized compact for your first or only gun. You'll enjoy practicing with it more, and it's not much harder to carry.

Here's a holster I made for a customer's LC9. I made one just like it for my wife, and the customer just ordered one like it for his father's Kelt-tec PF9:

I think the consensus is that the LC9 is NOT (as is) what you want in a small firearm. Trigger sucks, muzzle flip (plastic guide rod), mag disconnect makes bad trigger worse, too heavy for pocket carry, needs a laser, needs polishing and tuning and mag disconnect removal (not for the amateur).

One person said they can put 7 shot groupings under a quarter dollar at 7 yards, with the LC9, AS IS. I'd like to see the youtube of that feat. I don't believe it. I can put 13 shots in the 10 ring with my XDm 9mm compact at 7-10 yards, but I can't even hit the target (small shoot-n-see) with the LC9 EVEN with a laser. Do I suck? Maybe I'm limp wristing, IDK. (I'm not Hickock45, that's for true, lol).

Having said that, it's not a range gun, and most SD shootings occur at 3-5 FEET, so there's that. But if you mess up something and tap the mag release a little, or if you try to do a tactical re-load, then what? You'd messing around and your firearm is a brick even with one round in the chamber while you tactical reload. That's just STUPID.

Some females have said 'if I have a mag release disconnect maybe I can pop the mag if someone is trying to take your firearm away'. GOOD GAWD. That's like saying carry a butterknife to keep from cutting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    I think the consensus is that the LC9 is NOT (as is) what you want in a small firearm. Trigger sucks, muzzle flip (plastic guide rod), mag disconnect makes bad trigger worse, too heavy for pocket carry, needs a laser, needs polishing and tuning and mag disconnect removal (not for the amateur).

One person said they can put 7 shot groupings under a quarter dollar at 7 yards, with the LC9, AS IS. I'd like to see the youtube of that feat. I don't believe it. I can put 13 shots in the 10 ring with my XDm 9mm compact at 7-10 yards, but I can't even hit the target (small shoot-n-see) with the LC9 EVEN with a laser. Do I suck? Maybe I'm limp wristing, IDK. (I'm not Hickock45, that's for true, lol).

Having said that, it's not a range gun, and most SD shootings occur at 3-5 FEET, so there's that. But if you mess up something and tap the mag release a little, or if you try to do a tactical re-load, then what? You'd messing around and your firearm is a brick even with one round in the chamber while you tactical reload. That's just STUPID.

Some females have said 'if I have a mag release disconnect maybe I can pop the mag if someone is trying to take your firearm away'. GOOD GAWD. That's like saying carry a butterknife to keep from cutting yourself.
    Nope, that's not what I said, at least. I can shoot it fairly accurately, and my wife hit a bullseye with her first shot at about 4-6 yards. It's a long, but smooth, double action trigger that takes practice to shoot well. I don't have a problem with the thumb safety or mag release.

My opinion is that it's a good gun for what it is: a small, slim concealable 9mm, for when you can't carry something bigger. However, those traits don't make it an ideal range gun, so if the OP is buying his first or only gun, I'd recommend something slightly bigger, with an easier trigger, that he can use for longer range sessions, comfortably. The SR9c, g26, M&P9c, xd9sc are just a few that fit the bill. The new bersa single stack 9 looks like a nice choice, too.

I don't regret buying an LC9, but I'm glad I didn't have it a my first gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Umm, No. While the consensus seems to indicate that the LC9 is not a great pocket carry, as far as its performance as a firearm it was just named Handgun of the year. Ruger’s LC9 Takes Handgun Of The Year | Radical Survivalism Webzine

I also think you will find many here that absolutely LOVE their LC9 and while it is far from perfect, is satisfies the needs of many firearm consumers.

Can I shoot it as accurately as my SR9C? Nope. Can I pocket carry it like my old BG380? Nope. Yet it does what is was designed for. Practical concealed carry in 9mm that is best for close quarters use.

In the January 2012 issue of Guns Magazine, FMG Publications has announced The Ruger LC9 as the 2011 Academy of Excellence “Handgun Of The Year”.

According to Guns Magazine, the LC9 weighs 17 ounces, and is 6 inches in overall length. It’s 9mm caliber insures adequate stopping power for self-defense, and the 3-dot sights, 7+1 capacity, and glass-filled nylon frame adds to this already award-winning package.

The Academy of Excellence Awards are decided not by the FMG Publications staff, but by a cross-section of manufactures, dealers, distributors and independent writers throughout the firearms industry.

FMG Publications says: … The academy has garnered a reputation for finest objectivity, and a spotless record for plainly being the vehicle that people involved in the industry use to make their votes known.”
    mr.stuart likes this.

Any Ruger LC9 Owners Out There?

I am new to this forum and had my CCL for just three weeks. I have been carrying my Ruger LCP in my coat pocket mostly. Tried my Beretta PX4 SC .40 OWB and found it very heavy 30oz loaded. That is why the LCP. Now I am thinking to add an LC9. Are there other light 9mm on the market that would be better than the LC9. I know it is personal thing but don't want another mistake like the Beretta. The Beretta is an excellent shooter but for me too heavy to carry daily.

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    I am new to this forum and had my CCL for just three weeks. I have been carrying my Ruger LCP in my coat pocket mostly. Tried my Beretta PX4 SC .40 OWB and found it very heavy 30oz loaded. That is why the LCP. Now I am thinking to add an LC9. Are there other light 9mm on the market that would be better than the LC9. I know it is personal thing but don't want another mistake like the Beretta. The Beretta is an excellent shooter but for me too heavy to carry daily.
    Other "pocket" 9's off the top of my head......

LC9
    Kimber Solo
    Beretta Nano
    Sig P290
    Rohrbaugh R9
    Taurus 709 Slim
    Kahr CM9
    Kel-tech PF9
    Walther PPS

The list is long, many choices and I'm sure I forgot a bunch of them.

I have had a LC9 for a couple of months now. I have only shot 150 rds. thru it. But my impressions of the gun are very positive. It's very slim and easy to conceal. Although IMO not for pocket carry. I agree that the trigger on it is long, but that is one of the built in safety features. But on mine anyway it is smooth. Of course I am an old revolver shooter and am used to long DAO trigger pulls. I have only shot it at SD distances (7 & 15 yds.). However, I was very easily able to keep all my shots in the center portions of a paper plate. I was not braced. I was shooting as if I was defending myself. I carry it in a clipless Remora Holster quite comfortably IWB. I plan on purchacing a good quality OWB holster for it soon. Just to give me more options. I also just went in halves with a buddy and ordered a 1000 rd case of ammo for practice. So I will be shooting a good bit here very soon.

I did however still see the need for a little pocket pistol. So I bought it's little brother the LCP. I carry it daily now in my front pocket on a Desantis Superfly holster and it is equiped with a Crimson Trace Laserguard. I really like this little pistol as well. And if you are looking for exclusive pocket carry. I would highly recommend it. But the LC9 IMO is to heavy for pocket carry. And once you place it in a pocket holster. It would create quite a bulge. As was stated before. Good luck with your decision.
    Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight and Shoot Often

As much as I love my PPS my wife loves it more (happy wife = happy life). I got the LC9 as a replacement and for pocket carry. it is a little big for pocket carry in many of my pants but it does vanish in an IWB holster and is extremely light compared to everything else I own.

The trigger is long but that's fixable easily enough with aftermarket parts (Galloway) and it is accurate. Would I buy it again? Yes. Do I carry it? Yes. Is it my PPS or my M&Pc? No, but it is a great little gun without going "mouse hunting"...

FYI, 147gr NON +P ammo doesn't have too bad of a mussle flip for me. I haven't tried +P ammo in it but then again I didn't like it in my Walther so why would I consider it in an even lighter gun...

I've only had the LC9 for a week but I'd say it's as good as any. Small enough to carry but big enough to be fun to shoot, although I think it may be at the upper limit as far as pocket carry; I wouldn't pocket anything larger. IWB works really well for the LC9.

I usually carry the SR9c but I could easily get used to the LC9.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links