Any Ruger LC9 Owners Out There?

This is a discussion on Any Ruger LC9 Owners Out There? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, First time poster here! Just got my CCW permit for Colorado in the mail today, very excited. Now, I need a weapon to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any Ruger LC9 Owners Out There?

Any Ruger LC9 Owners Out There?

Hey all,

First time poster here!
    Just got my CCW permit for Colorado in the mail today, very excited. Now, I need a weapon to go with the license.
    I was at Cabela's and saw the Ruger LC9, looks like it really fits my needs; thought about the Solo, but it seems it just has too many issues.
    For those of you who OWN the LC9, can you comfortable pocket carry it in jeans?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Hey,

Congrads on your permit! I just got a Crimson Trace Laser setup for my LC9 and the LC9 no longer fits in my OWB Desantis holster. I am carry it in a pocket holster and it works fine. I am 6'1" but I would rather carry OWB like I was before. It seems no holster manufacture (big companys) are making a holster for this set up. I did talk with Luke Adams of Adams Holster and he said he would make me a rig but lead time is 8-10 weeks. To answer your question it is a bit tight fitting but yes it works.

V
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

I carried the LC9 all summer (until the unfortunate boating accident) and it is significantly heavier than other BUGs, and has substantial muzzle flip and the trigger is crap. OTOH having a 9mm in a HG that size and weight is pretty nice.

I think the best method is to carry with a partner, one with a .357 revolver and one with a .380 BUG, when you think about what you will still be carrying in 3-5 years, and have both of the partners train together, go to the range together.

So I would say that the LC9 is 'luggable'. Like the early laptops. But it's not comfortable. (Depends a lot on your body size - a luggable gun for a person who is 250lbs, 6'5 is different than one who is 5'4, 150lbs).

HTH

OP, congrats on your CCW. I own an LC9 and really like it BUT it's not an ideal pocket carry. I can pocket carry in cargo shorts with deep pockets but it still feels heavy and wouldn't be comfortable for more then an hour or two. I can't fit it in any jeans pocket. I prefer to carry my LC9 in a Remora IWB holster at 3:00. If you want something for pocket carry, I would get an LCP.

I would use an IWB holster. Better yet, start out with a compact double stack. It's where you will end up anyway. Just something to think about as I know my opinion isn't worth much.

VIP Member
    Congrats on your permit and welcome to the forum. As for the LC9 I had one but got rid of it. The trigger sucked.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have 2 LC9's (one is the wife's). Contrary to what some say, I find that pocket carrying the LC9 to be easy in jeans. I'm 5'9" 165lbs and can pocket carry it in Wrangler five start relaxed fit 32x32 jeans. The trigger isn't bad, especially after removing the magazine disconnect. If you are looking for a target pistol to shoot super tight groups at a distance, then you will want another gun, as this pistol was not designed with that in mind. It is a self defense pistol for deep concealment, and it does that job superbly. I normally use one of three holsters for this gun, a "Shielded Holsters" double Phalanx, a Remora no clip IWB, or a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (used to use the $10 Blackhawk pocket holster which worked fine).

it's a nice peice. If there are too many safeties, just leave them off. Also, I am a terrible shooter with pistols. With this one, I can put all 7 in a circle the size of a quarter at 7 meters. Also, the trigger being bad is greatly exaggerated. I found the trigger to be just as good as any other gun, that isn't a 1911 or isn't made by Kahr.

Welcome and congrats on permit. Check out Holster Pro Holsterpro Gun Leather - Custom Hand Crafted in the U.S.A. he is a good fellow and has a video for the LC9 on his homepage.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Replaced my LC9 with a Kel-Tec P11: 14 oz. empty vs. 17 oz; holds 10+1 9mm. Both triggers are less than great, but the P11 is much easier to conceal and, contrary to many folks on the forum, I like it for what its intended purpose is--- up close & personal situations. Welcome to the forum: this IS THE BEST!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

My LC9 fits in my pocket just fine but I find it to be an issue when trying to reach in and remove it. The gun takes up so much space that getting my hand inside and removing the gun in an acceptable time and manner just doesnt make it feasible. Buy a good IWB holster and you will find that this gun is quite comfortable to wear and it will be easy to get to.

I also find that it leaves a big lump in your pants (not the good kind) when pocket carrying. It makes it pretty obvious, even properly holstered, that there is something big and heavy in your pants. I don't know about you but I don't have room for two things like that.

I'm an LC9 owner and, while I could pocket carry it, I wouldn't want to. It's bigger than I'd like for a pocket carry gun and when I get a combat grip on it, in my pocket, I become like a raccoon with his fist in a log.

that is to say, I become stuck. Gun fits in pocket. Hand fits in pocket. But hand clenched around gun in pocket becomes too girthy to remove from pocket.

I just bought a LC9, Sunday at the gun show in Roanoke. I haven't shot it yet, but will soon. I'm use to carrying a LCP in my pocket, but this is about an inch larger each way, but it fits O K. I couldn't pass it up for $329.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

I had one .... after a fluff and buff and a polish job on all the trigger parts the wife stole it..... time for another one I guess.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have an LC9, and like it a lot. However, it is not my primary carry. I try to carry the largest gun I can based on my dress. It's usually a Sig 250 or Glock 19. I carry the LC9 when I'm in a hurry out the door and drop it into my pocket, or I just can't conceal one of my other guns because of the clothes I'm wearing.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links