Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9

This is a discussion on Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even if I asked opinions on a Toyota Camry, I would be found and the "get a Glock" chant would still resound from the mountaintops.......

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9

Even if I asked opinions on a Toyota Camry, I would be found and the "get a Glock" chant would still resound from the mountaintops....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tookerw1040 View Post
    Just got mine in yesterday sweet little package. However it didn't like the 124 Speer Gold Dots anybody else have this problem?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
    Range report 100 rounds of Remington fmj not a single hiccup

Went to the range last night with my Diamondback DB9 and ran another 50 flawless rounds through it. I looked at my records and found that I am actually at 650 rounds through mine since purchasing it back in July 2011. This gun is definetly not for someone with a weak grip or hands or limp wrists easily. A few weeks ago, I was at the range, I had someone that was a little larger than me (I am around 210 pounds) that was interested in a small pocket gun, try my gun out and it would FTE on him. I told him that he was limp wristing it, he said that he did not think so. He gave me my gun back and I finished the magazine he had problems with and fired another magazine. Filled both magazines up again and gave it back to him and after the 3rd shot, he got another FTE and he finally conceeded that he could be limp wristing it, and said this gun was a little hand cannon. LOL !!! I went on and finished the rest of the box of ammo I had without any problems. God Bless
    kaboomkaboom likes this.

^^^ SO VERY MANY of the complaints folks have on these little guns FTF etc.., is because they limp wrist it but either won't admit it or really don't understand what it is and why it has such an effect...IMHO of course...

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Went to the range last night with my Diamondback DB9 and ran another 50 flawless rounds through it. I looked at my records and found that I am actually at 650 rounds through mine since purchasing it back in July 2011. This gun is definetly not for someone with a weak grip or hands or limp wrists easily. A few weeks ago, I was at the range, I had someone that was a little larger than me (I am around 210 pounds) that was interested in a small pocket gun, try my gun out and it would FTE on him. I told him that he was limp wristing it, he said that he did not think so. He gave me my gun back and I finished the magazine he had problems with and fired another magazine. Filled both magazines up again and gave it back to him and after the 3rd shot, he got another FTE and he finally conceeded that he could be limp wristing it, and said this gun was a little hand cannon. LOL !!! I went on and finished the rest of the box of ammo I had without any problems. God Bless
    Saw you have a PF9 also. Is the DB9 an easier shooter, about the same, snappier? Had a PF9, have a P3AT now as well as a Kahr P380. All pretty punishing after any extended period of time. But I'm much better with the limp wrist deal now.

I have a DB9 and any FTF or FTE problems I had were in the first 200 rounds. The recoil spring is super stiff when you get it and needs to be broken in. They've addressed the walking pin issue but I never actually had that problem with mine anyway. After 200 rounds, it's also much more tolerant of limp wristing. It CAN be ammo finicky with hollow points if the round is even micro inches longer than normal (like for instance some 147 grain rounds) but I use Hornady Critical Defense 115gr with no problems ever. Rounds that didn't work for me include Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P and Winchester PDX1 124gr +P. Diamondback now says +P voids the warranty (they said it was ok when the gun came out) so I don't use those anyway. IMO it's an unbeatable combination of size, weight and price. For me, it's a keeper BUT I specifically wanted a pocket sized gun, if you don't plan on pocket carrying, I don't know that I wouldn't recommend the Kahr CM9 or Beretta Nano just cause they're built a little beefier.

Good info, slack. I've got a PM9, love it, but just not a pocket rig for me. How does the DB9 pocket carry? Anything like an LCP or P3AT?

Yeah, DB9 is much closer in size to a .380 than any other micro 9mm out there (unless you can afford a Rohrbaugh that is). I had a Smith Wesson Bodyguard .380 before and the DB9 was so close in size and weight that I couldn't see the point of carrying a .380 anymore. The DB9 is also accurate as hell and recoil with standard pressure rounds isn't bad at all. The trigger's really nice on it too since they basically copied Kahrs camming design.

Of course, if you buy anything other than a Glock 26 all the tactical weiners at the range will disown you....so factor that in. :)

I dunno. From the specs, it seems the DB9 is actually slightly longer than the PM9. They are the same height. The DB9 is slightly thinner, and lighter by a few ounces. I don't see how the DB9 is going to be much better in the pocket than a PM9 or a CM9.

Given that the Kahrs will take +P ammo, I would lean that way.

I got to handle one briefly at a local gun store. I was not too impressed - just seemed flimsy. The owner also reported that a customer had one blow up on him. I don't know any of the details, so I'll leave it at that. As with any new model, I would wait at least a year for any bugs to get worked out.

OP - If you want smaller than the PM9 that you already have, I would really recommend the LCP. When I need to carry in pockets that are too shallow for my PM9, I use my LCP. I just don't see the DB9 doing anything your PM9 won't do already.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Since a picture is worth a thousand words.

DSC_0738.JPGDSC_0739.JPGDSC_0740.JPGDSC_0741.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - If you want smaller than the PM9 that you already have, I would really recommend the LCP. When I need to carry in pockets that are too shallow for my PM9, I use my LCP. I just don't see the DB9 doing anything your PM9 won't do already.
    Have a Kel-Tec P3AT and Kahr P380, both which run fine and are great pocket guns. Maybe the caliber arguments are getting my attention again. PM9 too big for pocket, especially in jeans, but my favorite carry by a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by slacking View Post

The PM9 is supposed to be shorter than the DB9 but looking at these pictures says different. Either Diamondback's or Kahr's specs are wrong as it looks like the DB9 is a tad shorter than the PM9. I am guessing that the DB9 is longer if you count the little beaver tail. I still want to eventually get a PM9 in the future. Have to save more pennies !!! God bless

Thanks for the pics!

So, looks like the PM9 and DB9 are really the same size - just that the DB9 is thinner and lighter.

I still don't see the DB9 doing anything for you that the PM9 (or cheaper CM9) won't do.

The pocket .380s are smaller than either of these pocket 9mm's, and lighter still in weight.

OP - IMHO, just load your .380s with FMJ, and be happy.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have a DB9 and any FTF or FTE problems I had were in the first 200 rounds. The recoil spring is super stiff when you get it and needs to be broken in. They've addressed the walking pin issue but I never actually had that problem with mine anyway. After 200 rounds, it's also much more tolerant of limp wristing. It CAN be ammo finicky with hollow points if the round is even micro inches longer than normal (like for instance some 147 grain rounds) but I use Hornady Critical Defense 115gr with no problems ever. Rounds that didn't work for me include Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P and Winchester PDX1 124gr +P. Diamondback now says +P voids the warranty (they said it was ok when the gun came out) so I don't use those anyway. IMO it's an unbeatable combination of size, weight and price. For me, it's a keeper BUT I specifically wanted a pocket sized gun, if you don't plan on pocket carrying, I don't know that I wouldn't recommend the Kahr CM9 or Beretta Nano just cause they're built a little beefier.
    What issues did you have with the 124 gr ammo. I have tried the GD's twice both times had a heck of a time getting the round to eject.

Was at the range one day a while back and one of the Diamondback guys was there testing their guns, my buddy got a chance to fire a few 9mm rounds with one of the test guns, it actually hurt his hands and trigger finger. Their not really recommended as very reliable here in Fla. Just my 2 cents worth.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links