Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9

This is a discussion on Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PM_Emissions Kahr has filed lawsuits for patent infringement against Diamondback. Kahr News Well, no wonder people say they are unreliable. My experience ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9

Quote Originally Posted by PM_Emissions View Post
    Kahr has filed lawsuits for patent infringement against Diamondback.
    Kahr News
    Well, no wonder people say they are unreliable. My experience with Kahr was the worst ever.

2. Remove Ads

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has bought one new, within the past two months.

I have read that some changes were made, any feedback to support or trash that will be helpful in deciding whether to move forward with one.

We have a LC9- and I'm thrilled with it, but it's not a true "pocket" 9mm. Whoever said the G26 was a pocket gun has some really baggy pants; I've rented and shot one and didn't carefor the thickness nor the ergonomics.

Far as I know, there is NO other 9mm subcompact with the dimensions of the DB9 (and 1/2" longer is not the same size). IF they can, or have, got the bugs worked out, they'll have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Far as I know, there is NO other 9mm subcompact with the dimensions of the DB9 (and 1/2" longer is not the same size). IF they can, or have, got the bugs worked out, they'll have a winner.
    The Nano is probably the closest.

DB9
    Height 4"
    Length 5.6"
    Width .8"
    Weight 11oz

Nano
    Height 4.07"
    Length 5.63"
    Width .9"
    Weight 17.67oz

I just received a replacement this week. It's a brand new frame.

Still jams. Hahahahahahahahahaha

I bought some other ammo to see if it works. If not, this gun is finished.

Winchester 115 grain
    Winchester PDX1
    Federal 125 grain

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I carry a DB9 everyday as my primary CC weapon. Like others i had problems at first. after i pick up my gun from the LGS i took it out with ~500 rounds to fire through it, well as i hit the 125-150 mark the problems started. at first i had a lot of FTF and DF, Nose up and Stove Pipes. i expected this from what i heard from others and was just expecting it to get better. well it didnt of the 200 rds i shot that day, i had quite a few of the mentioned problems. well at the 125-250 mark is where my biggest problem started. i would chamber a live round and the slide would be locked into battery, i could not rack the slide no matter what i tried. the only way to remove the round was to fire the weapon. this became really unsafe and it emptied the gun and went home.

I called DB and told them what happened and they sent me a call slip. i sent it back to the factory and the had it for about 3 weeks before sending it back. they replaced the barrel and Palmer grip with a newer one. well i took it out again with a few hundred rounds and thought i was going to have to start all over on the break in process. well i fired ~400 rounds that day with only 2 FTF both were caused my limp wristing. since that day i have but close to 900-100 rounds through it from SD HP's to FMJ and i have not had any problems. i have shot every brand of ammo through it that is available to me and it has age everything. even put some old reloads through it which most guns dont like and it ate them like a champ.

I feel 100% confidante in this gun. i expected the problems at the beginning and was willing to be a "test subject" for DB but they treated me well and i would not hesitate to purchase another firearm from them in the future. the RTS looks pretty good and they are in the makings of a full size pistol too.

Distinguished Member
    I got the pf9 instead of the DB9 because of the bad reports. My PF9 does great. This DB9 reminds me of several Colt 1911s I've bought new. Have to work on them to get them to run ammo ...I don't like buying a new gun and then have to tinker with it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Thumbs down I don't trust mine.

After the first 200 rounds, I started having issues. It started jamming all the time, it wouldn't always fire, and it would sometimes try to load two rounds at the same time. I sent it back to Diamondback, and it took them 5 weeks to get it back to me. They're not good communicators there. Some people reported receiving a bonus magazine when their gun got shipped back, but I didn't get one. When it came back, one of the white dots on my sights was mysteriously missing, and the slide looks like it doesn't fit securely. It works most of the time now without jamming, but it's disturbing that it sometimes doesn't fire when a round is in the chamber. It makes me a little nervous to trust my life with it. I'm bummed because I love the shape, design, and how it fits in my hand, but it's just not a reliable enough firearm.

DB9

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has bought one new, within the past two months.

I have read that some changes were made, any feedback to support or trash that will be helpful in deciding whether to move forward with one.

We have a LC9- and I'm thrilled with it, but it's not a true "pocket" 9mm. Whoever said the G26 was a pocket gun has some really baggy pants; I've rented and shot one and didn't carefor the thickness nor the ergonomics.

Reply:
    I just bought a DB9 as it was recommended by the gun shop owner. He's carries one and is happy with it. I was also considering a Kel-Tec, Kahr, Glock, or S & W.
    I took it to the range this week and cyclled 30 rounds of Remington UMC, 115 gr., flawlessly. I switched to Sellier & Bellot and it jammed twice on the first magazine of 6 rounds. These are few rounds to judge by but I had limited time to test that day. It looks like the DB9 is ammo sensitive. I haven't gotten throught the first 200 rounds yet, so I'm just guessing. But, I like little gun. After running a couple hundred rounds, and several types of ammo, I'll report back. If I get too many FTE or other malfunctions, this will be sold and I'll be looking for something else.

VIP Member
    My R9 is a tad thicker (.83" vs .746") and heavier (13oz vs 8oz) than my P3-AT, but it is otherwise smaller. It is double strike capable with a smooth trigger that breaks without disturbing the sight alignment in the slightest. A high end gun, it has been reliable and easy to shoot.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

My son gave me a DB9. Between the two of us we've shot about 300 rounds with no issues. I'm not 100% on it yet but we've not had any issues.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I took my third (3rd) DB9 to the range this past weekend and put 350 rounds of assorted weights and brands of FMJ through it. I averaged 3 or 4 failures to feed per 6-round magazine for most types of ammunition. I did find two flavors of ammunition that I was able to run a whole 50-round box without any jams.

With the ammunition that my DB9 would digest I was able to fire successfully using a two-handed grip, locked elbow, and raised shoulder. I was able to fire most of the rounds of a 6-round magazine one-handed, right-handed. I was unable to fire more than 2 rounds in a row left-handed.

I give up. I'm selling the gun. I have the purchase price of the DB9 and well over $1,000 into ammunition, gas, and range fees trying to get 3 different DB9 pistols to function (a pair of early 2-pin frames and a very new (factory replacement) 3-pin frame). Sorry, I can't possibly recommend a Diamondback DB9 pistol to anyone for any purpose, especially for self-defense. The factory support has been great. The DB9 pistol simply does not work, in my first-hand experience having fired about 1,400 rounds through my 3 different DB9 pistols (I only ever owned one at a time, the second and third were replacements, one from my gun shop and one from Diamondback's factory).

Any gun out there will get all of these varied reponses. My take...shot one and had three jams in the first mag. Nope.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Let me start by saying I have a Beretta 950 in 25 acp that has not jammed or FTE even once. I know what limp wristing is, and how to properly hold and fire a small semi-auto. The issues I experienced are 100% functional to the gun, not shooter-effected problems.

If the DB9 is based on the same platform as their DB380, here is my story:

1. Initial break in of slightly more than 100 rounds had stovepipes galore. Literally every round. Sent back to the factory.

2. Factory replaced the extractor, springs, and did something to the slide, but cannot decipher what was written on the ticket.

3. "repaired" DB380 fired one magazine flawlessly, then started light-striking the primer so the round would not fire...about every second shot. After 2 magazines, the light-strikes were every round, and got the point where the dimple on the primer was so light it would not fire a round at all.

4. Been back to the factory for a week now, pending its return/repair.

When I get it back, it will go directly to a LGS that doesn't already have 4 or 5 used for sale (obviously a trend here for LGS getting used DB380's traded in) and I will take whatever I can get for it and buy a Smith & Wesson airweight.

I already have an early S&W 37, and have never had an issue with it. Sometimes you have to be willing to throw in the towel and accept that in .38 special, sometimes
    "5 for sure" will beat any lightweight small-frame auto that has performance issues.

I have a LCR on order. After three attempts at getting a PM9 to work as I wish it to work, I think I've just about given up on the whole concept of a "pocket" 9mm pistol. If I can get the LCR to work in my pockets, that will likely be my new off-duty primary, backed up by one of my LCPs, for those times when the G26 is too big or heavy.

Taking these small pistols to the range, paying the fee, trying various kinds of ammo to find a brand that the gun likes, making sure to run a bunch through each magazine you will use, etc etc etc...just runs into time and money that I'm not willing to expend any more. Not to mention that every failure saps your confidence in the gun.

So...if the LCR ends up working for me, I'm getting off the pocket 9 merry go round...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by tomwalshco View Post
    Have kinda watched this company since the news that some Kel-Tec guys broke away and started Diamondback Firearms in FL some time back.
    http://diamondbackfirearms.com/index...=article&id=69

DB9 is their latest offering that is not much bigger than my 380 pockets - P3AT & P380. Nice if a 9mm had a similar footprint to these 380s and will shoot.

As with any small gun - you have to live with some tradeoffs. With the DB9 I understand there is some ammo that just won't perform in this gun. + anything, 124 grs or lower only, and some 9mm rounds are physically too long for reliable feeding.

I get those and can certainly live with that. Not a deal killer by any means. I think any 9 is better than any souped-up .380.

The limp-wrist deal (11 oz gun/9mm load) - don't think is an issue for me anymore. Actually own, or have owned, all the notorious limp-wrist models that feel like playing catch bare-handed with a baseball after 3 mags.

Also don't mind a break-in period, a little polishing and smoothing, etc. Overall ugliness, rough edges and tool marks - could care less. Don't need a Les Baer finish to stick in my pocket.

Curious as to how this gun works and what mods the factory has made to get them reliable along the way. Don't mind tinkering -- but not at Quik Trip with a knife stuck in my face....
    I'm not so sure about the KelTec guys moving away to form Diamondback guns. The link you provided doesn't work. I'm fairly certain they are part of Diamondback Airboats in Cocoa, Fl.
    DiamondBack Airboats

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links