Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9

This is a discussion on Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just stick with the PF9... it is proven to work. DB9 (according just even using this thread) is not. and you can use +p for ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9

Just stick with the PF9... it is proven to work. DB9 (according just even using this thread) is not.

and you can use +p for seldom practice and SD. DB9, no...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    DB had problems from the get go and initially failed to support their product and received their fair share of bad press. I bought one of the first DB380's and experienced problems so I dumped it.

DB9 Handgun

I bought one a few week ago and it's now at the factory. It has been jamming, failing to feed and not extracting. I do not feel comfortable or have any confidence in this gun. I am going to be getting rid of it as soon as I get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has bought one new, within the past two months.

I have read that some changes were made, any feedback to support or trash that will be helpful in deciding whether to move forward with one.

We have a LC9- and I'm thrilled with it, but it's not a true "pocket" 9mm. Whoever said the G26 was a pocket gun has some really baggy pants; I've rented and shot one and didn't carefor the thickness nor the ergonomics.

Far as I know, there is NO other 9mm subcompact with the dimensions of the DB9 (and 1/2" longer is not the same size). IF they can, or have, got the bugs worked out, they'll have a winner.

I have had nothing but problems. I am selling mine. Big waist of my money.

I wouldn't buy one. There are a lot of problems. Mine fails to feed, jams and fails to extract. You can't relay on a gun that might not work when you need it!

I was going to buy one, but I think for now, I'll stick with the LCP for pocket carry needs.
    Honey, I forgot to duck.- Ronald Reagan

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

I think I've had better luck than most, but now a year later with over 1k down the pipe my first DB9 is starting to give me problems. In reality, I'm probably 4x more than most people will ever shoot theirs. Since it was one of the first 250 shipped, I shot it quite a bit throughout the year and kept a running review going on my blog. There isn't much else out there that compares in size and weight, but that doesn't matter if the pistol isn't reliable.

I did make one change with mine that has made all the difference in the world with reliability. It's worked for many other people too.

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    I think I've had better luck than most, but now a year later with over 1k down the pipe my first DB9 is starting to give me problems. In reality, I'm probably 4x more than most people will ever shoot theirs. Since it was one of the first 250 shipped, I shot it quite a bit throughout the year and kept a running review going on my blog. There isn't much else out there that compares in size and weight, but that doesn't matter if the pistol isn't reliable.

I did make one change with mine that has made all the difference in the world with reliability. It's worked for many other people too.

It was your blog that was encouraging. Unfortunately for me, it didn't work out one bit for me and I followed all of your tips. I sold it and got a Sig P938. Excellent gun.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    It was your blog that was encouraging. Unfortunately for me, it didn't work out one bit for me and I followed all of your tips. I sold it and got a Sig P938. Excellent gun.
    Strange how things work out. I'm reviewing my 938 this weekend/week and it's giving me some trouble. I guess that's why there are so many different makes and models out there. No one pistol will be right for everyone.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I bought a DB9 less than two months ago. So far I have about 250-300 rounds through it. It has had some (maybe 7or8) FTEs, but no FTFs, no double feeds. I think there have been two stove-pipes. I think most of this is due to me learning to shoot the gun. My other pistol is a Beretta 92fs. Obviously it's there going to be a big difference.

One thing I've noticed is that mine may have the occasional problem with 115gr FMJ, but when I switch to 124gr HP rounds there's never a problem. I have to admit I went out on a limb and bought this gun despite all the bad reviews and it still makes me a little uneasy reading them but when I shoot my self-defense rounds there's no hiccups at all, I don't know what to think at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I have one and have not had any problems with it. I must be *Blessed* because my Taurus runs great unlike alot of people on the internet have reported and my Diamondback DB9 also runs fine and I have over 500+ runs through it with FMJ's and HP's. I also have a Keltec PF9 and I actualy shoot the DB9 better than my PF9. God Bless
    I recently sold my PF-9. I loved the size and weight, shot well with it (even though it wasn't lots of fun to shoot) and carried it frequently... until it broke for the third time (ejector, hammer spring, trigger spring). Now, if I'd failed to follow Kel-Tec's suggestions regarding dry fire, +P ammo or nickel-plated cases, or if I'd fired thousands of round through it (like I have through my G19, which has never failed in any way) I could understand. But I just lost confidence that it would go bang for me when I needed it. I'm looking into a DB9 as a replacement and so far it sounds more reliable.

Zero problems with the DB9

Quote Originally Posted by tomwalshco View Post
    Have kinda watched this company since the news that some Kel-Tec guys broke away and started Diamondback Firearms in FL some time back.
    http://diamondbackfirearms.com/index...=article&id=69

DB9 is their latest offering that is not much bigger than my 380 pockets - P3AT & P380. Nice if a 9mm had a similar footprint to these 380s and will shoot.

As with any small gun - you have to live with some tradeoffs. With the DB9 I understand there is some ammo that just won't perform in this gun. + anything, 124 grs or lower only, and some 9mm rounds are physically too long for reliable feeding.

I get those and can certainly live with that. Not a deal killer by any means. I think any 9 is better than any souped-up .380.

The limp-wrist deal (11 oz gun/9mm load) - don't think is an issue for me anymore. Actually own, or have owned, all the notorious limp-wrist models that feel like playing catch bare-handed with a baseball after 3 mags.

Also don't mind a break-in period, a little polishing and smoothing, etc. Overall ugliness, rough edges and tool marks - could care less. Don't need a Les Baer finish to stick in my pocket.

Curious as to how this gun works and what mods the factory has made to get them reliable along the way. Don't mind tinkering -- but not at Quik Trip with a knife stuck in my face....
    I have fired about 300 rounds through mine and have had absolutely no problems. I do use quality ammo even at the range and keep the gun very clean so that may be a factor. It IS a handful of gun. Stock is too short for my hand so you have to hold on tight. But I feel so much more comfortable with a 9 in my pocket than most of the small guns available. And when i say "in my pocket", I really mean it. This gun is a perfect size to fit in my jeans or a jacket packet with or without a holster (I use a sticky holster to protect the trigger.) And now that Taurus owns DB, spare mags etc should be easier to find.

All will be saved. Taurus just bought them!!!

gtn
    Got one yesterday just before I found this thread. Took it to the range today. Got 60 FMJ rounds through it without any problems. Tried 6 JHPs and then it started. Got 2 failed extractions out of 6. Went back to 10 more FMJ and had 1 more fte.
    Problem is I really like this little pistol. It really fits the niche I need. I'll keep shooting it and hopefully the bugs will work out

I have about 75 rounds thru mine. So far so good. Gonna run some more tomorrow.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links