Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9

This is a discussion on Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have kinda watched this company since the news that some Kel-Tec guys broke away and started Diamondback Firearms in FL some time back. http://diamondbackfirearms.com/index...=article&id=69 DB9 ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9

Diamondback anybody? What's the verdict on the DB9

Have kinda watched this company since the news that some Kel-Tec guys broke away and started Diamondback Firearms in FL some time back.
    http://diamondbackfirearms.com/index...=article&id=69

DB9 is their latest offering that is not much bigger than my 380 pockets - P3AT & P380. Nice if a 9mm had a similar footprint to these 380s and will shoot.

As with any small gun - you have to live with some tradeoffs. With the DB9 I understand there is some ammo that just won't perform in this gun. + anything, 124 grs or lower only, and some 9mm rounds are physically too long for reliable feeding.

I get those and can certainly live with that. Not a deal killer by any means. I think any 9 is better than any souped-up .380.

The limp-wrist deal (11 oz gun/9mm load) - don't think is an issue for me anymore. Actually own, or have owned, all the notorious limp-wrist models that feel like playing catch bare-handed with a baseball after 3 mags.

Also don't mind a break-in period, a little polishing and smoothing, etc. Overall ugliness, rough edges and tool marks - could care less. Don't need a Les Baer finish to stick in my pocket.

Curious as to how this gun works and what mods the factory has made to get them reliable along the way. Don't mind tinkering -- but not at Quik Trip with a knife stuck in my face....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only experience I have with the DB line is the .380, and it FTF'd consistantly. Like with any brand or model, either it works fine or it gets fixed. I don't know if there's enough time or experiences to make a judgement on the 9mm version.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a DB9. I have gone through 1,050 rounds of widely assorted 9mm ammunition trying to get it to work reliably. On average I have experienced 2 or 3 failures to feed per magazine of 6 rounds, from round number 1 through about round 1,000. After round 1,000 I finally figured out how to grip the DB9 so it would usually function and feed reliably. At round 1,050 the trigger mechanism broke. I will be sending it back to the factory for warranty repairs.

At about round #200 my barrel's feed ramp chipped, leaving a semi-circular piece missing at the base of the feed ramp. I spent a few hours with a round diamond file cleaning up the jagged edges and smoothing the transition onto the feed ramp.

The cross pins "walked" out of the frame on every range session, even though I had applied blue LocTite to the pins after sanding them to rough their surfaces. After every few magazines of ammunition I would have to pound the pins back into the frame so they did not fall out. Diamondback now has knurled pins available in their web storefront which supposedly fix the waling pin problems.

I bought a S&W Airweight J-frame revolver to replace the completely undependable DB9. The J-frame fires each and every time I pull the trigger, completely unlike my DB9.
    Last edited by marcclarke; January 3rd, 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Fix typos. Must learn to spell.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The only experience I have with the DB line is the .380, and it FTF'd consistantly. Like with any brand or model, either it works fine or it gets fixed. I don't know if there's enough time or experiences to make a judgement on the 9mm version.
    It required polishing the feed ramp and barrel throat and reversing the magazine springs so the follower had a more nose up profile to get the DB .380 OldVet is talking about working reliably.

No room for limp wristing at all.

Little guns leave little margin of error.

I have read mixed review on the DB9 but have no actual expierence with the weapon.

I have gone back to a S&W Model 36 as my "little" carry gun.

Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    gunthorp likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have shot mine twice. Had a few failure to feeds. But no issues with the Hornady Critical Defense rounds. But its a hand full to shoot for sure.

The only experience I've had is a new DB9 that couldn't get through a magazine without more than one failure of one kind or another.

Didn't get a warm and fuzzy on that. Went back to the factory and was sold.

Have seen recently uploaded YouTube offerings and almost everyone has it running like a watch, even young boy and women. One guy had some issues, but blamed it mostly on ammo or himself. Can't imagine why anyone would fib about the reliability.

Understand they've addressed the walking pin. Not sure of the other stuff. Was another barrel sent given the chipped ramp, I wonder?

One of the guys claimed the recoil was more manageable than an LCP. I know what that is like. Hard to imagine, though.

A few unhappy folk out there, but plenty who praise it. Can't imagine they have that many employees.

They've got to be working hard on the issues. Sounds like I should wait a while....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    It required polishing the feed ramp and barrel throat and reversing the magazine springs so the follower had a more nose up profile to get the DB .380 OldVet is talking about working reliably.

No room for limp wristing at all.

Little guns leave little margin of error.

I have read mixed review on the DB9 but have no actual expierence with the weapon.

I have gone back to a S&W Model 36 as my "little" carry gun.

Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    Just had to show that .38 off one more time, didn't you.
    gunthorp likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Early in Dec, I bought a used one at a local store. They said it belonged to the owners nephew and that they could vouch for it not having problems. I gave it to my wife, who wanted a small gun, with the intent of eventually getting something else for her and I would use it for pocket carry in the summer.

First range trip it had a FTF or double feed issue each magazine reload (about 100 rds). The pin also walked out. This was with Speer Lawman ammo, which I saw a review saying others had issues with. I got some UMC in HP which were shorter and took it to the range a second time. My wife tried a couple of magazines and had a double feed. I tried a few without problem. My wife tried a few and ran into a new problem. After a reload, the first round would fire and then something would jam the slide to where you couldn't rack it, even to eject a bullet. I didn't want to fire it like this and fiddled with it till it came free. Repeated this 3 more times. The pin also walked out again.

Decided that I didn't trust it enough to carry and had my wife trade it in on a gun of her choice. Got most of what I paid for it towards a new Glock.

I would pass on this one.

By way of comparison, it is slighty easier on the hands than the LCP. I put 150 rnds through one of those without a hiccup. I would either get an LCP or a small lightweight revolver for summer pockets instead.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I will be picking mine up on Thursday. Personally I go by my own experience on firearms, not so much on others reviews. I have a PF9 and while some have problems mine works like a charm. Its completely dependable, does have some recoil which is understandable.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
    VBVAGUY likes this.

I have one and have not had any problems with it. I must be *Blessed* because my Taurus runs great unlike alot of people on the internet have reported and my Diamondback DB9 also runs fine and I have over 500+ runs through it with FMJ's and HP's. I also have a Keltec PF9 and I actualy shoot the DB9 better than my PF9. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I have one and have not had any problems with it. I must be *Blessed* because my Taurus runs great unlike alot of people on the internet have reported and my Diamondback DB9 also runs fine and I have over 500+ runs through it with FMJ's and HP's. I also have a Keltec PF9 and I actualy shoot the DB9 better than my PF9. God Bless
    We must be the Lucky ones!!! People look at me crazy when I carry my PF9 over my Kimber, but its just so easy to carry.

I only have about 100 rounds through mine so far, so I can't comment on durability. However, it has fed 5 different varieties of factory JHPs and two kinds of ball flawlessly. Only one round, some old Cor-Bon 115gr. JHP with the Sierra bullet, would not chamber. The chamber leade needs lengthening a bit. Since I keep mine loaded with 147gr. Hydra-Shoks, I don't sweat it. Other than the Cor-Bon round, I have had no failures of any kind, and it shoots to the sights.

Just got mine in yesterday sweet little package. However it didn't like the 124 Speer Gold Dots anybody else have this problem?

save your money and buy a G26!!!!!!!!!
    Taurahe likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links