Advice - .40 Sigma VE

This is a discussion on Advice - .40 Sigma VE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT Sigh. The initial range report, detailing the flawless performance of a weapon. 150 rounds means the gun was assembled with only ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Advice - .40 Sigma VE

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Sigh.

The initial range report, detailing the flawless performance of a weapon.

150 rounds means the gun was assembled with only 3 missing parts, and the rest of it is not made of tissue paper & chewing gum.

Talk to me when you make 1,500 rounds without cleaning, lubrication or parts breaking.

RE: The sigma...it's not a well respected weapon for various reasons, among those reasons are durability.

Sell it and get an M&P.
    My Sigma has over 15,000 rounds through it with a problem. I've treated this gun like crap, its seen mud, snow, body of water, and even sand even though the body of the gun show the abuse, the gun mechanically keeps on going strong. In fact, I sold my full sized M&P to keep my Sigma as the Sigma is smaller and I can shoot it better (same goes for my M&Pc)

To the OP, I sent my Sigma back to Smith and Wesson so they can reduce the weight of the trigger. It is a noticeable difference, so noticeable that I dislike shooting another Sigma that doesn't have the trigger job on it. Most that bad mouth the Sigma hasn't had any real time behind the gun, thus their opinion is worth..... well squat.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

2. Remove Ads

I too, have a 40Ve and I have run thousands of rounds through it without any trouble. I have polished the internals a bit and removed a few burrs on a couple of surfaces and it has made the trigger pull much smoother. I have pistols that cost 10 times what the Sigma costs but it is just as much fun to shoot as any of them, I don't sweat getting it a little roughed up, and every time I let the hammer fall it goes bang. I shot 100 out of 100 with my Ve last year in a "friendly" competition.....no M&P will score better than perfect.

VIP Member
    Gentleman.
    First to the OP continue shooting the pistol and there is a good chance the trigger will improve with age if not then simply get an aftermarket kit for it.

Secondly everyone has an opinion in regards to a particular firearm. Sigmas were S&W's attempt to compete with the Glock. I was in the local police supply house when the S&W rep brought the first ones in many moons ago. If I remember right an officer could buy one for $195.00 and could even get your choice of finishes including some ungodly grey/silver/pimped out thing. The original Sigma's were rushed into production to compete in the polymer market and it kind of backfired on Smith.

The Sigma did not have a good reputation. If you got one that worked great if you didnt it seemed no matter what you did it just did not help. In 06 I went to Afghanistan to train the Afghan National Police and lo and behold we were issuing them Sigmas, Smith had gotten the contract. The experience was not a good one as they were issuing Wolf ammo that the gun simply did not like so they got plenty of malfunction drills in. The guns ran ok with steel cased sub gun ammo though. I have never owned a Sigma, nothing against them just did not like them, but have shot I dont know how many rounds through them.

The newer models "V" series, not sure, seem to have fixed a lot of the problems of the earlier ones. But with all that being said no one is being snobbish or putting down anyone. Mitchell has an opinion as do I. If the OP likes his Sigma and it shoots well for him great have at it. If I was issued one I would carry it and stroke on without looking back. Is it my first choice? Nope but that is me. The low round count so far by the OP is merely the tip of the iceberg only time will tell after 500 - 2500 rounds see how the weapon does.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thank you

I really appreciate the constructive feedback from everyone. I'll run another thousand rounds through it over the next little while and see how it goes. If I can get used to the trigger or it smooths out, I'll leave it as-is.

As suggested, if I still don't like the trigger, I may send it back to S&W.

Thanks again to everyone for the opinions.

- Keith
    In the big cosmic scheme of things, it's hardly important that mankind has squandered his... hey, where the hell did my beer go?

you can do the trigger job yourself, all you have to do is remove a spring and it reduces the trigger by half.

Sigma Trigger Fix / Mod DIY walk through for beginners EASY - YouTube

if you feel you need to. Send it back to sw with a "very gritty" trigger. Not heavy. Then change the stricker spring out for a lighter wolff spring and you should be pleased.

The sigma 9v was the first pistol I owned. Wedding gift from the wife. I kept the gun for 3 years and thousands of rounds with zero problems. I carried mostly hunting and camping/hiking. Once I became more educated about other firearms I chose to switch to glock. I love my g26 and g19 but for a new shooter or a shooter on a budget, a sigma is perfect. You cannot decide what is good for you until you have owned and shot many rounds. The sigma is perfect for this.

Distinguished Member
    My sigma ve40 has many a round though it with no problems....excellent pistol for the price ....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Therewolf View Post
    I really appreciate the constructive feedback from everyone. I'll run another thousand rounds through it over the next little while and see how it goes. If I can get used to the trigger or it smooths out, I'll leave it as-is.

As suggested, if I still don't like the trigger, I may send it back to S&W.

Thanks again to everyone for the opinions.

- Keith
    OP I have a suggestion for you, but first I'll say this: You have a Sigma. It is what it is. It will be reliable for many years but the trigger will always suck. It's not a bad pistol if you can get past the crummy trigger.

Now for my suggestion. If you have the money to send it to a gunsmith for work or if you have the money to burn 1000 rounds of 40 cal just to try and smooth out the trigger THEN SELL IT AND UPGRADE. If you have the money to do the stuff you think it's going to take to make the gun right then you don't need to keep that thing. No matter what you do to it the trigger is always going to stink. It may get better but it will never be good.

Now don't misunderstand me. I think the Sigma is a good, reliable gun for folk who don't have the cash to get a top shelf gun, but this doesn't sound like your situation at all. Sell that thing for a $20 to $30 loss and go get a Glock, a M&P or an XD. Then you will have a great gun with a great trigger for the same amount of money that you would have spent to get a mediocre gun with a crummy trigger.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I spend 4 dollars on a stricker spring and shipping watch all the videos on tuneing the triggers and pick the least ratical and a bit of tlc polishing metal parts to got a 6 1/2lb trigger. Or tell sw how gritty the trigger is and let them fix it for free then change the stricker spring.

Distinguished Member
    Do not change that striker spring, ur asking for trouble by the possibility of getting light firing pin hits on bullet primers which is not good for a SD weapon. Leave things as they r since this weapon was designed to have this type of trigger. It is a SD weapon and not a comp gun.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Richard If you wish to leave a heavy trigger alone then you may do that. You must not realize the lighter striker spring has ZERO effect when talking about lighter hits on the primer, right?? It might be possible to have a machine gun affect if the stricker spring was light enough, maybe. I think some call it slam fire. Hard to call a 6 1/2lb trigger pull a Comp Trigger too. Also not sure a VE trigger could ever be a comp trigger. HA . I do have a few 2 1/2 lb triggers that may pass as a comp triggers also but there on hunting revolvers. If you don't run a lighter stricker spring and you have a lighter pulling trigger assembly than stock then you could have lighter primer strikes. Maybe that is what you ment?? Remeber to this was S&W first attempt at stricker pistols and they started with a to heavy a trigger and the VE was not much better but it does work better than some handguns as it is. .

I and many others have done the stricker spring swaps but tend to not be the only changes done. But I also don't light'n much if at all for carry, polish a bit, maybe. I have yet to have a problems that has been trigger related of any kind with any firerm I own. Some have many many years worth of use too.

Now my current carry pistols are left alone but they allready have a nice smooth 6lb or less trigger from the factory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links