Advice - .40 Sigma VE

This is a discussion on Advice - .40 Sigma VE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I recently posted, I bought a pistol over the holidays. It's the first I've owned in several years. I chose the S&W Sigma .40 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Advice - .40 Sigma VE

Advice - .40 Sigma VE

As I recently posted, I bought a pistol over the holidays. It's the first I've owned in several years.

I chose the S&W Sigma .40 VE. After putting 150 rounds through it on the range - without a hiccup, I might add - I have to say I'm very pleased with the pistol with one reservation: the trigger.

I knew about the heavy trigger before buying, and 150 rounds is not near enough to train on this weapon. However, I plan to carry this pistol and I'm asking for advice on whether it would be better to have the Sigma smithed (not a real word?) for the trigger or simply train with it and adapt.

Thanks in advance.

Keith
    In the big cosmic scheme of things, it's hardly important that mankind has squandered his... hey, where the hell did my beer go?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You'll get lots of different opinions...

Personally I wouldn't touch the trigger on a SD weapon. Lots of folks will tell you otherwise, and that's fine, but I wouldn't.

I would suggest that you get a lot of practice with your weapon and decide if you can effectively use it as is. If yes, then keep it and be happy. If not, then it's not the right choice for you.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    I've had mine for many years. it is the house gun and also for training ( myself and students).
    so it has had a great many rounds fired over the years and the trigger is smoother than when it was new.
    i do not think it is any lighter than when it was new though i never measured it.

it is near impossible to get 'perfect' in any material thing but choosing something that fits you well to
    begin with is a good start. than train with what you have to be the best you can be with it.
    once you have reached that point, than if there is some aspect of it that is still lacking--and it is very important
    to you; fix it or with your practiced knowledge of what it is that suits you, buy that one.

if you choose to have work done on a SD gun it is best to stay with the factory peoples that made it and
    keep all records.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Sigh.

The initial range report, detailing the flawless performance of a weapon.

150 rounds means the gun was assembled with only 3 missing parts, and the rest of it is not made of tissue paper & chewing gum.

Talk to me when you make 1,500 rounds without cleaning, lubrication or parts breaking.

RE: The sigma...it's not a well respected weapon for various reasons, among those reasons are durability.

Sell it and get an M&P.

I have close to 2000 rounds through mine with no problems at all. Even took a tactical pistol course on a pouring day. All of our weapons were caked in mud. All the expensive sigs and hk's were jamming up and I was flying right through.
    There are a few spring kits out there to ease up the trigger pull, but as a sd weapon you know what you have to consider.
    You could also take out the striker assembly and polish up the metal contact parts as well as the bar that connects it in the frame to the trigger. They have a lot of machine grooves and burrs, and I don't think cleaning it up like that would cause issues in court, but I'm no lawyer.
    Regardless, it's a darn good little handgun for the price. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Opinions vary. However I had a Sigma series pistol and had zero problems with it. After nearly three years I traded it for something I wanted badly. And that is the ONLY reason I turned it loose. Sigmas are inexpensive pistols - not cheap pistols. Some folks think if you dont spend more than a grand on a pistol it is not worth having. I completely disagree. It is my position that you leave the trigger alone. You will get used to it and it DOES change over time. Work with the pistol, shoot it and enjoy it.

Futhermore I've seen more posts about Glock and Kimber issues then S&Ws Sigma series.

Regards,
    Idahokid and Richard58 like this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Congrats, I think you have made a good choice, just in the fact alone you have decided to arm yourself. Your choice of weapoon is just that, your choice. If you are comfortable with it, and shoot it well, that is great. Give the trigger some time, it may smooth out for ya, but the big thing is to shoot it a lot, and it will be a second nature thing, I personally would not have any work done on the trigger, I would just keep feedin that sucker ammo...... I will not bash anyones choice of weapons, as I own several different mfg's.... some I like more than others, but htere again, that is my personal choice. Congrats on the purchase , and like i said, just keep feeding it ammo...
    Idahokid likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I personally would not put 1500 rounds through any of my weapons without cleaning them, unless i was doing it all at one time, that is almost like spouse abuse.....
    RE: A sigma will kill you just as dead as an M&P / Glock / Colt / or anything else I have in my safe...... although I do not own a sigma, I would not bash it either untill I had one that gave me problems,.... have not really heard a lot of negative on them....and for the price, you get what you can afford....
    Idahokid likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I have over 4000 tounds through my 9VE, and love it, it is a house gun. I carry a 642.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Sigh.

150 rounds means the gun was assembled with only 3 missing parts, and the rest of it is not made of tissue paper & chewing gum.

Talk to me when you make 1,500 rounds without cleaning, lubrication or parts breaking.

RE: The sigma...it's not a well respected weapon for various reasons, among those reasons are durability.

Sell it and get an M&P.
    You know I respect your posts but I disagree with this entirely. Most people don't respect the Sigma because of what they read from others who don't have any personal experience with it either. Sure plenty of folks hate the trigger, but many more base their expert opinion on someone else's opinion alone.

I have one of the original Sigma pistols (got it back in 96-97) and I couldn't even begin to guess how many thousands of rounds I've put through it. It functioned flawlessly for years. I never babied it. I eventually tossed it in the safe, dirty and loaded, and didn't touch it for 4 years or so. When I finally took it back out it after all that time sitting dirty, it had developed a light strike issue. S&W happily paid to ship it back, they fixed it and even cleaned it up for me, then returned it. Hard to fault the pistol when I could have easily made some effort to care for it and that probably wouldn't have happened.
    Last edited by TX expat; January 3rd, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    michellct you come off as just another gun snob. I to have a 40ve for a house gun and play gun for all the kids and son-in-laws. It has about 2100 rounds fired and other than replaceing the recoil spring and a change to a lighter wolff stricker spring I have replaced NOTHING it has been a very reliable handgun. Mitchell ct ,you can play with the higher dollar guns if you have the money to spend , not ever one does. With the likes of rugers P series and the sw sigmas work well for real people.
    Idahokid likes this.

Another vote for the Sigma. Bought my 40VE in '08 and like it very well, zero problems.

I contacted S&W about my 9VE that I have had for a few years, and said I wasn't too fond of the trigger, that it seemed unnecessarily heavy and gritty, and that if effected my performance with the pistol.

They sent me a pre-paid fedex label, and I had it back a week later, with a significantly better trigger.
    Idahokid likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I got my .40 Sigma 2 years ago and have had zero issues with it. It and my Remora are my EDC. Love em both. Have a Glock, Taurus, S&W, Ruger, and a Colt and still carry my Sigma everyday. The only issue is mime came with a bolt on laser that never stayed on. The laser is now a toy to bother the dog. The gun is great.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Sigh.

Sell it and get an M&P.
    Have you ever shot one? If so, did you give it a chance (did you shoot it enough to learn how to control it?). I have a 40VE with just over 1950, 100% trouble free rounds through it. The gun only has a bad rap or reputation with those that haven't taken the time to learn to shoot the gun well. Does it take more time to learn than other guns, maybe, not as far as I'm concerned though. I shoot it as well as any other pistols that I own. And that's a bit more than a bunch of them..pistols that is. I own several Glock's and Sig Sauer's and the Sigma can keep up with anything that I have all day long. I have been shooting for years, 25+, and have even won a few competitions to boot. So it's not like I just jumped into the whole gun thing recently and don't know what I'm talking about. So, I speak from some experience. I hve found that almost always, the people complaining about a Sigma have never even
    held one, much less shot one. That may not be you, but I'd be willing to bet that if you did shoot one, it wasn't a lot. The Sigma's are fine guns, and the heavy trigger is ON PURPOSE!

EDIT:
    I just went back and read ALL of the posts. I gotta say, there are a lot of positive comments on the Sigma. And that is for a good reason. The gun is U.S. made, affordable and reliable. What more could you ask?
    By the way, my trigger is stock and it got "better" all on it's own after shooting it and dry-firing it for some time.
    Idahokid likes this.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links