Initial Range Reports/low round count range reports. - Page 2

Initial Range Reports/low round count range reports.

This is a discussion on Initial Range Reports/low round count range reports. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I don't get the point of this thread. If I buy a pistol, love the ergonomics, love the balance and feel, and put ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Initial Range Reports/low round count range reports.

I guess I don't get the point of this thread. If I buy a pistol, love the ergonomics, love the balance and feel, and put 200 - 300 rounds of mixed ammo through it without fail, with great accuracy, I'd say it's flawless for my purposes. Why would that bother anyone else? Do I have to run it over with a backhoe and drop it from a helicopter into a vat of sewage, then pick it up, shake it out, and fire 100 magazines full of 1920's vintage surplus Russian ammo before I can say that it's flawless?

By the way, if anyone knows a place (other than the internet) where a marriage equates to a gun purchase, then I've got an old 44 that I'd like to trade for 2 22's.
    OldVet and scgunlover1 like this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

i agree with above posters... where is the point a gun is broke in?? say 2k rounds, if i am to shoot 2k rounds before the pistol is broke in then i also need to know when the gun is worn out...

say 8-10k rounds the gun is now "worn out" and considered unreliable again?? should I send off to an armorer to check this pistol out now, should I put it in the safe as a collector, should I just sell it now as it's no longer any good as a s/d weapon??

Mitchell, I see where you are coming from but I do not feel people are posting there first range session to say that their pistol is the "best" and everyone else's "sucks" I believe they are posting to show their new pistol, and to share it with the community... I personally take with a grain of salt if they had no FTF or FTE in the 100-200 rounds that they have shot, "with no problems"...

I made a thread about my new Springfield a week ago, and I wrote that I had put about 250 rounds downrange without any problems, but I was not saying its the best ever b/c of this, just trying to make conversation and share my new purchase with others... I don't get to show anyone when I'm out carrying, if I do it is likely to be the last thing this person ever sees...

Not trying to be an A$$, just trying to let you know where most others are coming from...
    sixsccw and gottabkiddin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    My Colt will have a bobble here and there. I don't consider it a big deal. As a matter of fact, if my chosen carry round cycles thru the gun with 2 or 3 full magazines without issue, I consider it good to go.

Round count is for people with more time and money than sense.

You know, this guy makes about the best sense I have heard on this forum.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    If the opening post was made by someone other than such a long time and esteemed member I would suspect trolling.

There are an awful lot of factors in reaching a point of feeling confident in a weapon - I'll use my PX4 as an example:

1. Built by a reputable company, been around since 1526, etc
    2. The particular model has been around a while too, lots of satisfied owners reporting dependability
    3. The first 500 rounds were comprised of every kind of cheap range ammo as well as top-of-the-line defense ammo, with no glitches of any kind

I happen to have 4000 flawless rounds through it now, but given the above scenerio, I feel expressing complete confidence in the weapon after 400 - 500 rounds would have been justified.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Personally, I concentrate more on my ability to perform clearance drills and magazine changes than contemplating exactly which round count my firearm might eventually malfunction on...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    OP, sometimes people feel they have something to say--and a forum is a good place to do so. Threads are like TV shows--if you don't like it, change channels!

Next up: Caliber Wars!
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Something to chew on.... Say you run your carry piece hard as Mitchell says, and it just so happens that on that last round after a "hard" thousand to two thousand round range session and something internal breaks; something like the firing pin, or maybe even the extractor.... What then. If you somehow don't catch it at cleaning you will most likely strap a worthless hunk of metal on your side thinking you are loaded and ready for whatever comes you way.

IMO, the durability test should have been run at the factory like most modern manufactures do, so in essence, there really is not much to gain from conducting your own endurance test except to approach the life expectancy of your particular firearm sooner rather than later.. Just sayin..
    gen3 and thephanatik like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I guess I could shoot one of my "new" guns until if fails and then call it unreliable. Or, I could put a few mags down range, clean, inspect it, fix any new out of the box problems, and then if the next 3 or 4 mags are issue free, consider it pretty reliable. Guess I'll go for for the latter. I don't have enough time and money to go for the former. But I do have the experience and knowledge to make an educated decision.
    Last edited by Divebum47; January 4th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
    gen3 likes this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

In my opinion, an ftf or occasional stove pipe is not an issue unless it's happening so frequently you can't get through several magazines. And even then loose tolerance in practice ammo may be the culprit.

Of course it's subjective, but there are other factors beside round count that inspire confidence to this user. One of them is just sheer pleasure of shooting and owning a particular gun. Another is level of accuracy that one has with a gun.

1 round, or 10,000 rounds, who's to say what's dependable but the user?
    Confidence is a matter of state of mind, not mechanics.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    So nobody is going to get me a date with Kate? I guess I'll call my wife and tell her to move back in. : )

On topic: I fit about half way between the Mitchell and Glockman camps for SD guns. I like about 500 rounds of practice ammo through a gun and usually about 100 rounds of my carry/HD ammo. If I have a hiccup or two in the first two hundred practice rounds then no big deal. After two hundred or two fifty I expect the gun to run almost flawless. An acceptable fail rate for me would be less than one fail in 200rds under good (meaning clean gun) conditions. Then if the gun shoots through two boxes of the good stuff without a hiccup I'll trust my life to it.

ETA: Some of the reason for the 500 rounds is not only about break in, it's about me shooting the gun enough to know it. It's for me to really get a feel for it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Initial Range Reports/low round count range reports.

An initial range report will always be made with a low round count. Almost by definition, when I get a new gun and box of ammo, I head to the range. When I am done at the range I evaluate the performance of the new gun. I may not post the results, but when talking to friends I'll let them know how things went.

I don't like to assume anything but it's a pretty decent bet, given the posting time and the nearly identical comments, that the Opie is complaining about a post I made asking for advice RE: the trigger pull on my Sigma. Yeah, I just bought it and only put 150 rounds through it. However, I did not intend to brag on the gun or give some sort of opinion as to its durability or serviceability. My intent was to ask advice.

To use your example, when I was single I would often report to friends whether my date the previous night was pleasant and/or whether I might see the girl again (no details, of course). That never implied a commitment to marriage or anything of the sort nor was it an endorsement to another single guy.

I wasn't bragging about anything. Over the years I've owned a number of firearms (many lost in a divorce a few years ago) but never a S&W semi-auto. I'm pleased to own a pistol again and think I made a decent purchase. I have one reservation and asked for advice from knowledgeable gun owners who might have experience with the same weapon.
    In the big cosmic scheme of things, it's hardly important that mankind has squandered his... hey, where the hell did my beer go?

Quote Originally Posted by Therewolf View Post
    I don't like to assume anything but it's a pretty decent bet, given the posting time and the nearly identical comments, that the Opie is complaining about a post I made asking for advice RE: the trigger pull on my Sigma. Yeah, I just bought it and only put 150 rounds through it. However, I did not intend to brag on the gun or give some sort of opinion as to its durability or serviceability. My intent was to ask advice.

To use your example, when I was single I would often report to friends whether my date the previous night was pleasant and/or whether I might see the girl again (no details, of course). That never implied a commitment to marriage or anything of the sort nor was it an endorsement to another single guy.

I wasn't bragging about anything. Over the years I've owned a number of firearms (many lost in a divorce a few years ago) but never a S&W semi-auto. I'm pleased to own a pistol again and think I made a decent purchase. I have one reservation and asked for advice from knowledgeable gun owners who might have experience with the same weapon.
    It wasn't a personal attack directed to you, but in general...yes, it set me off.

From reading the comments in this thread, it seems I and many other posters have "different ideas" on how to evaluate the reliability of weapons.

We'll just have to agree to disagree for the most part.

This thread is a bit of an eye opener for me, and it's showing me things in the mindset arena I'm really not liking, and it makes me wonder what in the hell people are doing when they are carrying a weapon who's job is supposed to save lives.

If people are willing to accept such slack standards in testing, what else are they willing to compromise on?

Training?
    Safety?

I just don't think I am comfortable with some of the thinking I've seen expressed.

MitchellCT, I for one do not consider a personal standard of which myself or others decide on a firearms reliability standards slacking. Especially when that standard is not qualified or standardized.

If a firearm functions well enough to give the user confidence in carrying it, then that's all that matters.

I'll go out on a limb here, and say I do not think going to all the training institutes, and getting certificates for it makes you anymore prepared, but it does give you a measure of confidence.

Does anyone here really know the number of rounds to fire thru a gun to deem it good to go? I doubt it.

But, I would be interested to know what your formula is to deem a gun reliable for carry?
    gottabkiddin and Tally XD like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links