Is Loading Empty Cases Damaging?

This is a discussion on Is Loading Empty Cases Damaging? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone share thoughts or experiences with training for malfunctions by loading empty cases (forward or backward)? I'd like to start doing more of this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is Loading Empty Cases Damaging?

Can anyone share thoughts or experiences with training for malfunctions by loading empty cases (forward or backward)? I'd like to start doing more of this and would rather not have to search for snap caps on the ground at the range. My concern is that this could damage the feed ramp or dirty the magazine. Has anyone done a lot of this before or heard of issues?

Brass is softer than steel, you shouldn't have any damage to the feed ramps unless the ramp is aluminum or plastic. You'll definitely get some interesting jams though. The only thing I'd be worried about would be marring the exterior finish.

-John

VIP Member
    Rather than loading an empty shell casing, why not use a snap cap?
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the replies. Wanted to avoid using snap caps so I wouldn't have to search for them on the ground at the range. I guess they should stand out, being bright orange though. Otherwise, will just replace the lost ones.

- Sent via Tapatalk on Android -

VIP Member
    Know anyone who reloads? I occasionally do a little practicing like that and I use dummy rounds that I've made up for that purpose. I always try to pick 'em back up so I can reuse 'em though.

Yes and there are also the Plastic Caps that are available to be loaded into your mags by some one else so you do not know when they come up for Malfunction Drills. I use them and recommend them for everyone. You just don't know things will not go Bang! But you better know how to get the gun back into action as fast as possible.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Be REAL careful with dummy rounds made up from real brass. It's all too easy for them to migrate into the "real" ammo, and vice versa.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Be REAL careful with dummy rounds made up from real brass. It's all too easy for them to migrate into the "real" ammo, and vice versa.
    I use a black or red sharpie and put a big stripe around the case and they do only get used at the range during live fire drills. But yeah, I wouldn't suggest that anyone use them for anything other that sort of purpose.

Just be certain that the brass that is used as a dummy is not primed, it could cause the bullet to move into the barrel and that would not be a good thing.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I've heard that "it could hurt your gun" - using the spent brass - but I could never really understand why, as-reasoned by PoLockNLoad. Nevertheless, it does, again as he mentioned, give some pretty nice malfunctions for you to work.

For how many times I've done it to my range/class gun, it didn't seem to hurt anything.

I have the ability to duracoat the cases black,and then load without any powder or primer,haven't done this in awhile,but sumpin tells me were gonna be running some FTF drills at the range this sunday.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I load dummy rounds, brass, no primer, plated round nose or FMJ bullet. I've put them in magazines to catch people flinching. It works great. Also good practice for clearing an FTF (they get ejected by hand so they are not hard to find). When ever I bring a handgun of a new caliber home I make up some to use for practicing handling the gun. Most recently I made up some for my wife to practice with her new P238.

To do this you pretty much have to be a reloader, but a friend who reloads could do it for you as well if you supply the brass and bullets.

Fitch
    CaptSmith and Cloudpeak like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I tried it but my Colt fed the empty brass! Go figure.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I tried it but my Colt fed the empty brass! Go figure.
    Yeah but I bet your groups were noticeably larger.

I made my own. I used nickle cases and lead bullets and drill 2 holes in the side of the case to mark them. I get a great price on FMJ from Precision Delta so I never use nickle or lead in my reloads.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links