Kahr CW 9 barrel issue

Kahr CW 9 barrel issue

This is a discussion on Kahr CW 9 barrel issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm cross posting this from another board for some more opinions. I have to say, I'm not terribly happy at this point. And so no ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kahr CW 9 barrel issue

Kahr CW 9 barrel issue

I'm cross posting this from another board for some more opinions.

I have to say, I'm not terribly happy at this point. And so no one gets the impression Kahr will not do anything, there is an offer for a pre paid shipping label on the table with no questions asked.

So here is the issue. I was cleaning the gun after getting it home this afternoon. When I got to the barrel it looked like it may have been test fired but not cleaned. So I grabbed a rod, swabbed it with CLP, ran a brush through it, and swabbed it again. Well, it was not dirty. In front of the chamber rim, about half way up the barrel, the barrel is scratched. Not just one scratch though. Every one of the lands has multiple scratches on it that make it look like another circle in the barrel. So it looks like a dotted line circling the inside of the barrel.

I don't believe this is a safety issue. But I'm not too happy with this on a new firearm. After being told by Kahr I could shoot it first and ship it later if I was unhappy, I did just that. I ran about 20 rds through it. The marks are still there, so it's not a surface issue. I'm assuming it is some type of machining issue. It looks like something bounced around that should not have. FWIW, the gun shot low left. But 20 rds can't diagnose whether it was me or the gun.

Anyone know of, or heard of, this issue? I'm likely going to send it back unless there is some experience with this and it's a non issue. Annoys me that we have waited a few days to get this shipped in and now it looks like we are shipping it right back out. ARGH!!!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

If Kahr is offering a prepaid shipping label and is willing to resolve the issue, I would send it back in a heartbeat. No sense in driving yourself crazy about it.

VIP Member
    Send it back on their nickel and get it fixed.
    gottabkiddin and TN_Mike like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Solid advice right there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Mine... the nickel plating in the chamber was 1/2 gone and the barrel material looked very pitted and degraded. They did a big duck and weave, and eventually admitted they have been having a lot of problems with barrels doing this... and had to use up those barrels before they would start using one's with no nickel plating in this area. (No it's not chrome like many think, per Kahr it's nickel).

Long story short..... they got it back & replaced the barrel, 2nd barrel also did it ... and after getting to the Director of Customer service, they replaced it as well. The third barrel, they agreed to polish and remove the nickel in the chamber area and swear that by removing it would not affect the function of the gun in any way.

My point being, they've been having a lot of barrel issues on CW9"s, and have been reluctant to do anything about them if they can avoid it. I'ld send it in and let them give you a good one.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Kahr will replace the barrel and resolve the problem..nothing to worry about..

I have shot 700-800 round through mine and seen that issue. But the gun is pretty new.

I say it back make clear what you expect in nice manner they will meet or exceed your expectations.

Figured the advice would lean towards sending it back. I'm gonna call them back tomorrow. I would say the closest thing I could compare this too is pitting. But it's definitely done mechanically. To precise and symmetrical to be random. I guess everybody slips up once in a while. How they take care of it will be the important part now.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    Kahr will replace the barrel and resolve the problem..nothing to worry about..
    Heard that before.... but wasn't quite my experience with them. It took pulling a few teeth first.
    The guys who do the work on them are great, but the customer service guy.... ugh.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

My CS guy was a riot. English accent, easy to deal with. His computer started acting up and he told me he was putting me on hold while he beat his computer into submission with a stick. I got a chuckle.

Gonna send it out tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

Administrator
    "But it's definitely done mechanically. Too precise and symmetrical to be random."

Those would be called "chatter marks" and that happens when the cutter jumps or vibrates during the machining process.

As I recall from my days of chrome plating in the Army, nickel plating by itself is soft. Chrome being harder is applied over nickel.

My Kahr P-380 barrel shows nickel plate wearing off.................but the gun shoots so well, I can live with the nickel plating.

A lot of drama-post to tell us that Kahr is handling your problem like they should but you are hesitant to take them up on it.

Just get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by bpang1 View Post
    A lot of drama-post to tell us that Kahr is handling your problem like they should but you are hesitant to take them up on it.

Just get it done.
    FYI, overnight Fedex. Left at noon. Just wanted to bounce if off more folks than I normally could. I did not expect it to be normal, buy who knows anymore.

Not sure what the drama reference is about. I bought a new product and expected it to look the part. Just looking to see if it's a known issue or just something that slipped through.

If Kahr takes care of it I'll be happy, just a bit disappointed in having to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    If Kahr takes care of it I'll be happy, just a bit disappointed in having to deal with it.
    - Take a look at the way some other gun companies handle issues and you'll find that Kahr is one of the better ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links