Opinions on Springfield Armory Micro .45 ACP

This is a discussion on Opinions on Springfield Armory Micro .45 ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone own this particular gun and if so what do they think about? Does it shoot well? Is it easy to conceal? How good ...

Thread: Opinions on Springfield Armory Micro .45 ACP

Opinions on Springfield Armory Micro .45 ACP

Does anyone own this particular gun and if so what do they think about?

Does it shoot well? Is it easy to conceal? How good does it feel in their hand?

2. Remove Ads

I haven't been able to get my hands on one but want one. Met a guy at the local range who had one, loved it, had no problems with it, let his wife shoot it and lost it to his wife as he loves her more than the gun! It's now her carry gun. The local gun store has had three on order for six months now, damn!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

We had a used one at the store...........seems I was interested in it, as it looked identical to the Kimber Ultra CDP, and was a lot shorter money too. Well, the gun was sold and it seemed to have a habit of returning several times back into the inventory. I think it had some troubles in the FTF and FTE catagory. You may want to do a little more research before purchasing one, just in case. The Colt Defender is a good alternative, or the SA Ultra Compact Loaded is good as well, and if you're adventurous, the Ultra CDP, or similar made by Kimber is a great choice too
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I used to own one of the loaded MicroCompacts.

SA makes a pretty good gun. The thing was cute, tight, and accurate - but it would recoil enough to slow you down. The trigger was great and the night sights were very good. The safety would sometimes click off during regular carry - somewhat disconcerting, but it made me happy for the grip safety. It concealed well and felt great in my hand.

I would have occasional reliability issues (failures to feed and double feeds, 1 failure in every 100 rounds or so) that I was never able to track down a cause for but that I wanted to blame on the magazines. (FWIW, I've been shooting 1911s since the mid-'80s, and I've only had one - a highly worked over 1917 Remington Government Model - that did not have some failures to feed sometime in its life.) The .45 acp doesn't chrono very fast out of a 3" tube, but the Micro Compact sure would buck with them.

I traded it off when I realized that my Glock 36 was the same size, lighter, had a longer barrel and less perceived recoil, shot the .45s faster, and had no reliability issues.

I own a SA Micro Compact. It is a terrific gun, IMO. I've never had the safety click off on its own. It is well balanced and there is not very much muzzle flip. It is also easy to conceal. I am very happy with my choice after looking at Kimbers, Kahrs, Taurus', etc.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Anytime you reduce the 1911 below service size you can expect some problems. That's just my opinion.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Blue Lion, to a certain extent, I agree with you, but for a carrying piece of .45 caliber that is easily concealed, I think the Micro Compact is an excellent choice. Just MHO, also.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Lead Moderator
    I researched the 3" 1911 guns. From what I found it is a craps shoot whether you get 1 that works
    1. all the time
    2. good once the factory has fixed it
    3. never is right even with multiple trips to the factory.
    The least amount of out of the box problems seemed to be the Colt defender. This is why I went with a 4" SA champ instead. Not much size difference, takes standard mags and less felt recoil.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I agree with rocky. If you can conceal a Micro, you can conceal a Commander. I'm a small guy and have no trouble hiding a Commander with a Brommeland Max-Con V. The advantage is that the Commander is less inherently prone to feeding issues, gives you a longer sighting radius, and recoils less.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Relative size of micro vs. commander

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    If you can conceal a Micro, you can conceal a Commander. I'm a small guy and have no trouble hiding a Commander with a Brommeland Max-Con V.
    I have both a "Commander" size 1911 (4 inch Kimber Pro) and a "micro" (3 inch Colt Defender). The difference in size is about 1 inch in barrel/slide length and 1/2 inch in grip length. The thickness is identical, and the small gun weighs about 3 ounces less than the larger gun (25 ounces vs. 28 ounces).

Whether this size difference is significant from a CCW standpoint is a matter of opinion. I have carried both, and find that the shorter grip of the micro is an advantage, as it is less likely to print on your cover garment, especially when you sit down or lean forward. The shorter barrel/slide length of the micro allows "shorter" holsters which protrude less below the belt line, so there is less chance of "peeking" out if the cover garment rides up for some reason. The 3 ounces of weight difference is hard to notice, I've found.

I like both guns for carry because of their thin profile which lays very flat against my side. I tend to prefer the commander length in the winter, when clothing is heavier anyway and concealment is not much of a problem. The micro is probably better in warm weather when wearing light clothing.

Links