My S&W Model 10s

This is a discussion on My S&W Model 10s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately, I've been going through a bit of a revolver phase. I picked up a Model 10-10 from Bud's, and that led me to want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: My S&W Model 10s

My S&W Model 10s

Lately, I've been going through a bit of a revolver phase.

I picked up a Model 10-10 from Bud's, and that led me to want a Model 10 snubbie, so I picked up a 10-5 snubbie to feed my addiction.

Why didn't anyone tell me these things were so much fun to shoot?

model10s.jpg

I use the 10-10 4" for a nightstand weapon, but am planning to carry the snub. Right now, I'm planning on picking up a Don Hume JIT Slide for it, because they just really work well for me, but I also welcome suggestions for both pancake and IWB holsters.
    wmhawth, pistola and bmcgilvray like this.

2. Remove Ads

Great looking pair you have there! I see a S&W revolver in my near future.
    lowercase likes this.

VIP Member
    Sweet looking pair of 10s you have there, carried a 2” model many years as an Air Force Aircrew member.
    lowercase likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Nice guns! I've got the same "brace" in stainless - a pair of 64s. Great shooters, even more fun now that I started reloading for 'em!
    lowercase likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Nice guns! I've got the same "brace" in stainless - a pair of 64s. Great shooters, even more fun now that I started reloading for 'em!
    I think a 64 with 4" barrel might be my next purchase. I've been eyeing the police and corrections dept trade-ins. I'd like to get one that still has a hammer spur.

Both my 64s are cop guns. The 4" must have spent years in a desk drawer since it looked almost new, not even any holster wear. The snub has a factory DAO conversion with bobbed hammer, which I think is perfectly appropriate for a snub, but I'm glad the 4-incher has the conventional SA/DA.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Great guns, can't go wrong - classics for a reason.

You may want to look into Buffalo Bore Ammo - they have great .38 Special ammo, 3 types, wicked stuff, for Self-Defense. They are thought very highly of for all their ammo.

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Here is example of one I use:

38 Special
    Product Details
    Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol and Handgun Ammo

SKU: 20D/20
    List Price: $29.33
    Our Price: $26.66
    Your Savings: $2.67
    Quantity:

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo - 150 gr. Hard Cast Wad Cutter (850fps/M.E. 241 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Due to customer demand, we've developed this defensive 38SPL ammo. Our customers wanted some devastating 38SPL loads that would fill the following criteria.

1. It won't hurt older/fragile/alloy revolvers. (Non +P)
    2. Is effective as a "fight stopper" through the use of proper bullets.
    3. Is more powerful than typical/standard, weak 38SPL ammo.
    4. Generate much less recoil than our +P 38SPL ammo.
    5. Is flash suppressed.

Buffalo Bore is introducing these three different heavy, yet standard pressure loadings for 38 SPL. These offerings are loaded at standard pressure, but they are much more powerful than normal 38SPL ammo. These loads will not harm older more fragile revolvers. So, these loads are safe for use in ANY 38 SPL revolver, provided it is in normal working condition. As stated above, the "POWER" level of these loads is really closer to a typical +P power level, but the pressure is standard. We are able to develop these powerful standard pressure loads with modern non-canister powders. Again, these loads recoil far less than our +P 38 SPL ammo.

This load is flash suppressed, so firing it in the dark wont blind you. We use flash suppressed powder in our defensive ammo in the loadings whenever possible as over 90% of all civilian shootings in America, occur in low light, when the criminal element is at work. We don't want you blinded by your own gunfire after the first shot.

Item 20D utilizes a very hard cast 150gr. WAD CUTTER bullet. The bullet is made hard, so it won't deform or mushroom. It cuts/crushes a "cookie cutter", full diameter hole in human flesh just like it does on a paper target. It penetrates deeply (roughly 14 to 16 inches in human tissue) and its full diameter profile maximizes blood loss as it cuts and crushes (not slips or slides) its way through tissue. Although I've never been shot with a full profile wad cutter bullet, I must assume that the initial impact of that wide flat nosed bullet, is crushingly formidable. As a teenager, I took to the woods on a regular basis and killed many a critter with heavily loaded 38SPL wad cutters'. The effect of a full profile wad cutter on small game was obvious and amazing, compared to regular round nosed bullets. That flat nose, literally hammers living things. These bullets are hard and properly lubed and will NOT lead your barrel. Note my velocities from real world "over the counter" revolver s- NOT test BARRELS!

a. S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel - 868 fps (251 ft. lbs.)
    b. S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch barrel - 890 fps (264 ft. lbs.)
    c. Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel - 961 fps (308 ft. lbs.)
    d. S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch barrel - 1005 fps (336 ft. lbs.)

Item 20D - Exterior Ballistics Charts for different Muzzle Velocities

Muzzle Velocity @ 1200 fps for Item 20D

Muzzle Velocity @ 1100 fps for Item 20D

Muzzle Velocity @ 1000 fps for Item 20D

Muzzle Velocity @ 900 fps for Item 20D

Muzzle Velocity @ 800 fps for Item 20D

Field Proven pistol and handgun ammo. Maximum firepower ammo. Best ammunition for pistols and handguns for sale. Buffalo Bore. Strictly big bore. Strictly Business.
    lowercase likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    There is something about a non-shrouded ejector rod on a wheel gun that say's class and beauty.
    lowercase likes this.

VIP Member
    Nice revolvers. A Model 10 is on my short list.

Very nice.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Well, hello Mr. & Mrs. S&W! They are sure a good looking couple!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Years ago I had a 10-6 that I ended up selling to friend. I kind of miss it. I bought it used. It was no where near as pretty as yours.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

"Why didn't anyone tell me these things were so much fun to shoot?"

I've never become tired having fun with Model 10s, even after enjoying them for many years. They really are a lot of fun to shoot. You have a couple of dandies there! That 4-inch you have with the round butt is an intriguing version. I have a brother-in-law who has one of those. Very nice for rapid fire work on targets, it is. Your 2-inch is the best keep snubby secret around. It's nearly as concealable as a J-Frame but is easier to shoot accurately, especially when +P loads are called for and holds six rounds to the J-Frame's five.

Way too many Smith & Wesson Model 10 revolvers are around here to admit to exact numbers. I keep some as collectors' pieces and some just as spares. The 4-inch Heavy Barrel (Model 10-6 variation) is my very favorite. The 4-inch standard tapered barrel (some call it the "pencil barrel") is the classic and the best looking version in my view (like the one in my icon photo). Love 2-inch versions and have both a square butt and round butt 2-inch. The square butt is so familiar it feels like an old friend when my hand grasps it. I really like the feel of the round butt with factory grip panels as well. They feel so good even though I have fairly large hands.

I have older model shoulder holsters, hi-rise belt holsters, field belt holsters, and IWB holsters for mine. I'm not really happy with the IWB holsters I have. They came from England, are made of thick, stiff leather and add bulk. I can add enough bulk of my own around my middle without having help from a holster. I've carried the 2-inch in pockets, in shoulder holsters, or an old Bucheimer Federal Man holster. Bucheimer is now out of business though they were once quite popular. Given a few more years they'll likely become collectible and valuable like the original S.D. Myers or Heiser holsters. Their Federal Man line was a hi-rise, thumb-break holster that can hide under a short jacket or even a shirt. The Federal Man holster for the 4-inch Smith & Wesson K-Frame is still fairly commonly seen and is worth a look. I've had the Federal Man model for my 4-inch Model 10 for about 35 years. It doesn't look so hot but is sturdy and has held up to quite a lot of use.

Just for grins I looked on Ebay and found quite a few Bucheimer holsters including one similar to the one I have for the snubs. This one looks to have a Colt Detective Special stuffed in it so it may be a mite small for a 2-inch Model 10.
    Vintage RH holster made by Bucheimer, fits small snubnose revolver | eBay

The shoulder holsters on hand for use with the Model 10s are various models of the Bianchi X-15.

My first holster and the one that has seen the most field use was as Smith & Wesson brand holster purchased for 7 dollars and some change in the mid 1970s, a time when Smith & Wesson pushed their own line of holsters. These were inexpensive but made of sturdy leather. Mine hiked, hunted, and fished a million miles before finally gasping its last in 2010 so had to be retired. My favorite brother-in-law said he couldn't bear to see me outdoors without my old Model 10 in one of these holsters so gave me a new/old stock replacement for Christmas last year that he ran across somewhere. I'll see if I can get 30-something more years out of it. Such a belt holster wouldn't be ideal at all for a concealment effort though.

Just for grins I just looked on Ebay and found quite a few Bucheimer holsters including one similar to the one I have for the snubs. This one looks to have a Colt Detective Special stuffed in it so it may be a mite small for a 2-inch Model 10.
    Vintage RH holster made by Bucheimer, fits small snubnose revolver | eBay

Here's a photo of the Bucheimer Federal Man holster. It positions the revolver high enough to be concealed by a jacket or shirt. It looks kind of old but then most of my stuff is getting kind of old like me.

On jaunts to our old family place I had to press the Federal Man into duty as the field holster for a while until I got the replacement holster for Christmas of 2010. Here it is, shown in a photo taken by my wife, going along for the ride when I was there, testing a new/old Colt revolver I'd acquired.
    wmhawth, glockman10mm and pirate like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Us K-frame shooters don't want people knowing about how great they are because we are planning on buying more and want to keep the price down!
    bmcgilvray and wmhawth like this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

My S&W Model 10s
    I want that 4" round butt shown it the picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links