new gun - Page 2

new gun

This is a discussion on new gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i will have to say that i cheated and went out and fondled the sa xd sc and will have to say i like the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new gun

i will have to say that i cheated and went out and fondled the sa xd sc and will have to say i like the weight and the balance but when i hold it using the reg mag the pinky falls off =o( with the extended it is no problem but then that kinda kills the purpose of the smaller weapon. the 4" just doesnt seem to be as nice in my hand. so i am leaning a LOT harder towards the sig. =o) just need to find one in my price range or i have wait a bit =o( to be honest i would LOVE to hold and fondle the p-01 but i have yet to find a dealer in my area that has one in stock YET! when they get one in stock i will play with it a little and see what i think but until then i can only dream.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    i will have to say that i cheated and went out and fondled the sa xd sc and will have to say i like the weight and the balance but when i hold it using the reg mag the pinky falls off =o( with the extended it is no problem but then that kinda kills the purpose of the smaller weapon. the 4" just doesnt seem to be as nice in my hand. so i am leaning a LOT harder towards the sig. =o) just need to find one in my price range or i have wait a bit =o( to be honest i would LOVE to hold and fondle the p-01 but i have yet to find a dealer in my area that has one in stock YET! when they get one in stock i will play with it a little and see what i think but until then i can only dream.
    If you can't find a dealer, you might want to check out a gunshow in your area. It may give you the opportunity to handle them all.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

If you want to "fondle you a P-01" be careful not to fondle the bigger brother the SP-01. If you do it'll be like the donkey between two bales of hay......

I ended up with both a RAMI and an SP-01......."she who must be obeyed" only thinks I got the one....

What can I say.....I'm weak...>8-)
    As one of my old sergeants used to say. "WE do not play at spray and play.......Do we.... Sir....."

Remember children, when we have removed the pin from Mr Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend......

Quote Originally Posted by everalm View Post
    "she who must be obeyed" only thinks I got the one....
    Too funny!

Nope. You can only move down in size.

Quote Originally Posted by KingAirDriver View Post
    You guys mentioned getting a .40 cal and then a .357 barrel? Can you switch up in calibers? Like 9mm gun, and buy a .357 or .40 barrel? It's something I haven't thought of and I'm glad it was mentioned.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

P95Carry and Mojoski,

Thanks for the input. I understand the .357/.40 reasoning, but can you buy a .40 gun and then a 9mm barrel/mags? Guess I should've re-phrased my question a bit better.

VIP Member
    I have to recommend the P239. I have two. One 9mm and one 357Sig. I am also looking for another. My wife has decided that the extra weight of the P239 is worth it, so now I am searching for another 9mm. So soon we will be a 3 Sig family.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    can you buy a .40 gun and then a 9mm barrel/mags?
    The magwell for the larger cal's would I am thinking be too large to take the smaller (front to back) dimensioned 9mm mags.

A barrel change in itself might work but - then we have to consider base dia of case - the larger size of 40/357 would mean the extractor would not function properly.

To me - I can't see it working - and even if it could - probably way better to get a dedicated gun for cal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks P95!

Quote Originally Posted by KingAirDriver View Post
    P95Carry and Mojoski,

Thanks for the input. I understand the .357/.40 reasoning, but can you buy a .40 gun and then a 9mm barrel/mags? Guess I should've re-phrased my question a bit better.
    Yes you can!

I have just that setup for my P229. The barrel is an aftermarket Bar-Sto conversion barrel, and the mags are factory P229 9mm mags. It is a fairly common conversion. Three guns in one 9mm/.40SW/.357SIG

The barrels run $200 and whatever the going price on the mags is.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Assistant Administrator
    I stand corrected never of course have I tried that.

How do things work out tho re extractor - is there enough travel to deal with both case head sizes? I assume then there must be.

Learn something every day
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I stand corrected never of course have I tried that.

How do things work out tho re extractor - is there enough travel to deal with both case head sizes? I assume then there must be.

Learn something every day
    Chis,

It works the same as if the gun was originally a 9mm. I have experienced no feeding or extraction/ejection issues at all. I forgot to add that you need to swap out the recoil spring for a 9mm spring as well.

OooooH Ooooooh possible new toy alert.....

For the 229 just to clarify,

Get the 229 in say .40 with .40 mags

Buy Barsto drop in replacement barrel to convert .40 to 9mm, buy 9mm mags. Add 9mm recoil spring

Buy SIG drop in barrel to convert .40 to .357SIG, buy .357SIG mags, no other bits to buy.

Drool drool
    As one of my old sergeants used to say. "WE do not play at spray and play.......Do we.... Sir....."

Remember children, when we have removed the pin from Mr Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend......

Quote Originally Posted by everalm View Post
    OooooH Ooooooh possible new toy alert.....

For the 229 just to clarify,

Get the 229 in say .40 with .40 mags

Buy Barsto drop in replacement barrel to convert .40 to 9mm, buy 9mm mags. Add 9mm recoil spring

Buy SIG drop in barrel to convert .40 to .357SIG, buy .357SIG mags, no other bits to buy.

Drool drool
    You just described my setup. I carry the P229 in .357SIG daily.

Don't forget the ammo!

Cool, so doable with both the 229 and 239? You guys are awesome, thanks for the help! I'm about ready to buy a 239, was planning on 9mm, but now I might go for a .40 instead!
    Last edited by KingAirDriver; August 23rd, 2006 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Typo!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links