new gun

This is a discussion on new gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am having to make a really tough decision here.....i am looking at buying a new handgun and am stuck trying to decide between three ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new gun

new gun

i am having to make a really tough decision here.....i am looking at buying a new handgun and am stuck trying to decide between three guns i am looking at the sig 239, cz rami, and xd either 9 or 40. any one who has shot and handled these weapons any info you could give me on what you liked and didnt like would be great. I would go and shoot them myself but there isnt any gun shop locally here that you can rent and try the guns otherwise that would be my hobby again any opinions on this topic would be great oh yeah and the reason you chose the model you did too please =O)
    Last edited by palmgopher; August 20th, 2006 at 01:34 AM.

2. Remove Ads

My pick goes to the Sig 239. I have never fired a CZ, but have heard nothing but good things about them. They seem to be a very good bargain. I have fired a service size XD in 9mm and 40. I liked it and I now like the XDs more than Glocks. But IMO the Sig is on another level.

I currently have a Sig 220 and a Kahr PM40 for carry guns. Because the Sig 220 might be too large for every day carry I'm looking at getting a 239 or 229 in 40. The 239's have the best trigger of the three and is also the best DA/SA trigger in the Sig line because its about 1 pound lighter and it feels a little shorter. I like the decocker and the exposed hammer. I'm the most accurate with the Sig bar dot style sights. I like the all metal construction and the full length frame rails. The recoil will be the lightest in the Sig. Also if you go with a 40cal 239 you can get a 357 Sig barrel if you so desire.

+1 for the sig, and for the interchangible bbls. Im looking into the same gun as we speak.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Assistant Administrator
    If budget will cover it then yeah - 239. Not to say others no good at all but that'd be my choice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree with the SIG for the reasons stated. SIGs are awesome.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    SIG all the way. Here's why:

I have had a 9mm RAMI, and while they are nice guns, about the only options out there for them are custom grips. If you want night sights, no one makes them (as far as I know), and finding holsters that fit right can be a problem.

The XDs are nice weapons too, and if I had to have a polymer framed striker fired pistol, I'd go for the XD over the Glock any day. It's a fit vs function issue with me (the XD just fits my hand better). Both function fine.

However the XD (and the Glock), have one drawback that completely turns me off to them. Neither one have "second strike" capability. That is, if a round fails to fire on the first pull, you have to rack the slide (albeit slightly) to reset the trigger on the XD or Glock. This necessitates losing your sight picture. While on the SIG or the RAMI you just have to pull the trigger again.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

O the ones you're considering, I'd go XD sub-compact in 9 mm. Good shooting little gun given the minimal recoil. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!

Lead Moderator
    Get the SIG! I have a 239 in 9MM and love it!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I have the XD9 Subcompact, and it's a great little gun like the others have said. It's more accurate than I'll ever be! I want something with either a decocker or a manual external safety, so that's why I started shopping around. I've been looking at a 239 9mm for a while and have pretty much made up my mind that I'll get one. It's just a matter of how sane I am and whether I want to spend the money on one!

You guys mentioned getting a .40 cal and then a .357 barrel? Can you switch up in calibers? Like 9mm gun, and buy a .357 or .40 barrel? It's something I haven't thought of and I'm glad it was mentioned.

I would get the XD in 40 or 45.
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

Assistant Administrator
    You guys mentioned getting a .40 cal and then a .357 barrel? Can you switch up in calibers? Like 9mm gun, and buy a .357 or .40 barrel?
    KAD - You can't start with 9mm and then go to .40 or.357 SIG.

The reason you can change barrels beteen .40 and .357 SIG is that the mags work for both - the .357 SIG is a necked down .40 case and the OAL is kept about same - so one mag serves both.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Choice=Sig

Of the ones you are choosing from, I'd take the Sig every time if price isn't a huge factor. Sig makes as good of a production weapon as is available. I'm not "badmouthing" the CZ or SA, but as mentioned earlier they are just in another league. I bought a P239/9mm for my daughter as home defense while away at college. (of course I tested and broke it in before giving it to her, for reliability) It was VERY accurate and reliable and fits well into a small to medium size hand. I'm not real sure I'm crazy about the "DAK" trigger (being a SA 1911 person) but its good to avoid ND's.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Well to be honest upon further consideration the cz is out because i was playing with it again and it just doesnt fit my hand well. Now as mentioned above price is kinda an issue. I could prob swing the price of the sig given a little more time but would be able to get the xd sooner. I am going to make another trip to the gun store on my day off (wed) and take another look at the two and see which seem to fit my hand better....will be looking at the 239 in 9 and 40 and the xd in 3"and 4" and 9 and 40 and get another feel for them and hopefully the dealer will let me use some snapcaps to check which trigger i like. In other words i get to play and drool more =O) I appreciate all the info from you guys. and if i do get the sig it will be with the decocker im like some of you just not fond of the DAK. like many of you the xd is haunting my dreams though =O) but we will see!

Palmgopher,

If the RAMI is a bad hand feel, possibly try the CZ P-01, slightly upsized but a very comfortable and highly accurate weapon, alloy frame, and decocker comes in at 1.7lbs as opposed to the RAMI 1.6Llbs.

I admit to a particular fondness/prejudice for CZ....8-)
    As one of my old sergeants used to say. "WE do not play at spray and play.......Do we.... Sir....."

Remember children, when we have removed the pin from Mr Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend......

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    You'll find that the Sig 239 is a very well rounded weapon....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links