Charter Arms Rimless Revolver

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Rimless Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the unlikely event anyone else was wondering what the status of the Charter 9mm, and .45 ACP rimless revolvers are, I copied the response ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Rimless Revolver

Charter Arms Rimless Revolver

In the unlikely event anyone else was wondering what the status of the Charter 9mm, and .45 ACP rimless revolvers are, I copied the response I got from Charter below:

Mr. Danimal,

Thank you for your email regarding our new Pitbull rimless revolver series! The .40 cal S&W is currently available and shipping. We will be releasing the 9mm in February of 2012.* The .45 will probably not be available until the end of 2012 at the earliest.
    We appreciate your continued interest in our innovative American made revolvers!
    Sincerely,
    Dee Ecker
    Customer Service Manager
    Charter Arms
    281 Canal Street
    Shelton, CT** 06484
    203-922-1652
    203-922-1469 (Fax)
    303british likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I would really like to see the 9mm version.
    I was thinking of picking up another Charter, my mother “appropriated” my On Duty as her home gun.

Wow..make the rimless 9mm before the 45 acp..? great..wonder if they can get a 6 shooter in 9mm...you'd think market for big bore small frame would have driven production for the 45 over the 9mm...interested in the 40..now 45acp small frame..

I can only assume that the 9mm is going to be a 6 shot......, but who knows with them. They currently offer a 6 shot .38 special, so I am guessing that they will use the same frame and cylinder dimensions as the 6 shot .38 to build the 9mm.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Can't wait to see the 9mm version. 9mm performs GREAT out of short barrel revolvers.

What is the advantage of having a .356 versus a .357 caliber revolver?

I guess I just never figured that out.
    Eaglebeak and jem102 like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I test the .40-caliber version of this revolver in the current issue of GUN WORLD

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

I can get 9mm a lot cheaper than .38. Other than that I have no idea.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

sometimes it helps to remember that the 38 was originally a smokeless cartrage.
    years later along come smokeless powder and its getting the power of BP in a muchly reduces case size.
    so the 9mm was born of a weight to operate the fancy new auto-loader and came to exceed the 38 in power.

im thinking that you are joshing with us. though sometimes we forget how it started and
    why power and size do not always go together.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    years later along come smokeless powder and its getting the power of BP in a muchly reduces case size.
    so the 9mm was born of a weight to operate the fancy new auto-loader and came to exceed the 38 in power.

im thinking that you are joshing with us. though sometimes we forget how it started and
    So purchase a .357 caliber revolver that is capable of shooting magnum charges as well as the standard or +P .38's, if you are looking for power.

Like you said the 9mm was designed for an autoloader. Why try to adapt a revolver to shoot it when there have been cartridges for the revolver for well over a century. It seems to be finding a fix to a problem that didn't really exist.

Is it a neat idea, sure. Is it practical, not really in my opinion. Could it lead to problems that could be avoided, yep.
    Eaglebeak, jem102 and CaptSmith like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I don't mind flaunting my ignorance since I do it so often anyway; but since almost every auto (rimless) round has a close, equal, or better counterpart in a rimmed revolver round, I can't understand the purpose of a "rimless" revolver to begin with unless it was simply to help standardize ammo a little better.

Obviously, instead of the usual straight bore, each hole in the cylinder would have to be machined down to resemble the chamber of a SA so the round would be held in place by headspace without falling through the hole. Plus, it would seem like any full-cylinder ejector for spent rounds would have to incorporate some complicated mechanism that engaged into the rimless groove of each shell case before they could all be pushed out.

Sorta sounds like a lot of extra mechanics that flies in the face of a revolver's inherent "KISS" advantage (simplicity = higher reliability) with fewer things to possibly malfunction
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I don't know about others, but I like to have fun, and if I can buy a revolver that shoots 9mm, .380, and 9x18 mak through it....then so be it. Is it practical? Probably not. But, it might be fun as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I don't know about others, but I like to have fun, and if I can buy a revolver that shoots 9mm, .380, and 9x18 mak through it....then so be it. Is it practical? Probably not. But, it might be fun as hell.
    I agree, I actually like the concept of a .45 acp, and 9mm revolver. yep got auto's in the same caliber, but have been leaning towards revolvers lately. Who cares what their reasoning is, bring on the variety.

I'd try a 9mm , if nothing else but to decide whether or not to get the .45 acp revolver when it comes out. Good to hear the 9's may be available around February.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post

Hi Claude;

I'll bet you meant to say that the .38 Special was originally a black powder cartridge which it was. You make a good point though in telling the original reason for the .38 Special's case length. It certainly wouldn't have required all that length to hold a charge of fast-burning smokeless powder.

I have some .45 ACP revolvers but never really enjoyed fiddling with the moon clips. I mostly use them with the .45 Auto Rim cartridges which gives the convenience of doing without the clips. Of course the clips make for a rapid reload which is a consideration.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'll take TWO in .45 acp.....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links