Ruger LC9 SS Guide Rod

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 SS Guide Rod within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a while I've been looking at the Galloway Precision stainless steel guide rod for the LC9. It's probably not a matter for concern, but ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Ruger LC9 SS Guide Rod

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar

Ruger LC9 SS Guide Rod

For a while I've been looking at the Galloway Precision stainless steel guide rod for the LC9. It's probably not a matter for concern, but the stock plastic guide rod just wasn't rocking my world. Upgrading to steel felt like a good move.

Potential cons: 1. Ruger might have intended this part to be plastic because some flex was desirable. 2. A metal rod might wear at the aperture it sits in at the front of the slide. Neither argument seems compelling, but these were discussed on the Ruger forum.

Potential pros: 1. Increased forward weight. 2. One less thing to fail. 3. Looks good. Can't shoot any of these down. So I sprung $20 for the upgrade.

Ready to go:

Stock and replacement rods, side by side:

In the slide:

Finished result:

Operation is smooth and no discernible difference from stock in feel or weight. If it added a half ounce or such, I can't feel it. Now I'm looking at their options for the hammer to reset the trigger break point.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

$20-not bad. Mine was $25 from Steve Bedair. Lotsa potential upgrades for the LC9. I admit the trigger pull could be shorter but I don't want to mess with the mag safety. Lotsa videos on YouTube for upgrading it. There's one for modifying the hammer bar with a new hole and brazing a little extra metal on it to shorten the trigger pull. A little to much for me to consider right now.

Found no reason to change the LC9 yet only about 500 rounds through it maybe down the road it may need some work.
    But for now work flawless and eat anything I feed it.

Smitty do you (or any LC9 owners) have a problem with the LCI (loaded chamber indicator) now that you have the firearm at home and carry it

I am really torn between the LC9 (I own the LCP which I love) and the Kahr CM9.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    do you (or any LC9 owners) have a problem with the LCI (loaded chamber indicator) now that you have the firearm at home and carry it
    I've got pretty much the same LCI on my LC9 and SR9c. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like it. It doesn't interfere with sight picture nor does it snag or cause any issue whatsoever in either case. On the other hand, after racking the slide, it lets you know there's one in the chamber and you can press check if you like on top of that.

From time to time, you see comments here along the lines of "I'd never buy a gun with a stupid LCI!" Such remarks strike me as being emotional in origin. I have yet to have any experience that caused me to dislike the feature in any way. The magazine disconnect safety, on the other hand, is something that did bother me and I took the appropriate measures to ensure that it is not a problem anymore on either gun.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

auto's (2).JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    Smitty do you (or any LC9 owners) have a problem with the LCI (loaded chamber indicator) now that you have the firearm at home and carry it

I am really torn between the LC9 (I own the LCP which I love) and the Kahr CM9.
    I do not understand the fuss over the LCI it is not a problem on my LC9 or my SR9C.
    I also own a LCP380 the LCP is a different subject it is a pocket weapon you pull it get center mass and empty it no safety no sights just a simple plat form to send rounds down.
    My daughter carriers both a LCP and LC9 wife carriers a LC9.
    Burn some round in them and they will eat what you feed them.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Shockwave; Yes, the Galloway Guide Rod is very good..... I have one and I like the "Look" and the believed "fix" to the plastic rod...

As for the LCI, I'm with you as I like it! But, I also like the safety!..

Shoot safe and straight.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Links