Lcr, 642, 442???

This is a discussion on Lcr, 642, 442??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oneshot Wow^^^^^^^ Wish I would have saw that before I went to the local GS and bought a 642 & 442 for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Lcr, 642, 442???

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Wow^^^^^^^

Wish I would have saw that before I went to the local GS and bought a 642 & 442 for $405 apiece.

Nephew said they shot ok, but wasn't happy with the DAO trigger.
    He's spoiled tho,
    he's used to his dads nickel 19's, 29 and his M&P.40 tho.
    Hey now.... I like the Airweights... just not as much as the nickel 19's and 29.... The M&P is not even close...(thank goish)... but the airweights are just not nail driving accurate (which most of my guns are) so I see there use strictly for pocket carry and self defense shooting....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

I have owned both a 642 and LCR 357. The 642 and 442 are essentially the same but different color.
    I loved the trigger on the LCR, but it's fall from grace for me was how easy it was to short stroke the trigger.
    I now own and and carry a 340pd(basically a 442 but shoots .357) daily.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSharp View Post
    I loved the trigger on the LCR, but it's fall from grace for me was how easy it was to short stroke the trigger.
    I hate when that happens. I've never had it happen with live ammo but I have done it while dry firing. Remember to apply the Tantric Overtone , looooooooongannnnnnnnnndsmoooooooooooooth.

I would have to handle the LCR and the 442 and then make up my mind , though I'm leaning towards the LCR.

The LCR would also be my choice. I would also be interested in the 22lr if they had a 22mag conv. version.

Rich

I debated this recently and got the 642, although I liked the trigger on the LCR better. The 642/442 is smaller and lighter and in the end none of them are range guns so the slight trigger difference doesn't matter.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

I carried a 442 as back up until the LCR357 came out. I like shooting and carrying 357 Snubs. The LCR makes shooting 357 easy for me so it took over the back up gun position. I still carry the 442 once in a while but prefer to carry Two 357 Subs.

While Ruger and Smith both make good guns, I personally prefer the S&Ws. I have a 642, which is my summer/cargo shorts/tank-top carry gun. I chose it over the 442 simply because of finish durability. I actually like the looks of the 442 better, but was told by the LGS that the finish would scratch. So, I bought the 642. I've had/have several S&Ws in various calibers, and love every one of them. Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I have both a 642 and an LCR .357. With .38 Special and plus P ammo, I personally am far more accurate with the Ruger. As a caveat, that could be due in part to the larger Hogue grip. I like the trigger pull better on the Ruger as well as the sights. I carry the LCR in a pancake holster and it works well. If you want to pocket carry, the Smith has an edge due to the smaller grip. As another poster pointed out, one could always put a smaller grip on the Ruger for easier pocket carry. You can't go wrong with either weapon.

I have a 642 and added the Crimson Trace LG 405 laser grips. I find those grips to improve my actual grip on the gun, accuracy, and recoil management. And those improvements have nothing to do with the laser capability.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links