Lcr, 642, 442???

This is a discussion on Lcr, 642, 442??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, this will be my first revolver. Have a few polymer 40's and a browning buckmark. Next up is the Ruger LCR, S&W 642 or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Lcr, 642, 442???

Lcr, 642, 442???

Ok, this will be my first revolver. Have a few polymer 40's and a browning buckmark. Next up is the Ruger LCR, S&W 642 or the S&W 442 chambered w/ 38sp. I have handled all three and from my research they are all excellent guns for their intended purpose. However, I am looking for ownership input on all three of these models. If you own or have owned any of these three please let me know your thoughts.

Prices are all very close. The 642 has the CT grip so it is a bit higher for the added feature, which I like.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

2. Remove Ads

Hi shjourdan;

I've fired the Ruger LCR, have owned a S&W Model 642 for 14 years and the Model 442 is the same thing as the 642 except in blue finish. I don't know anything about the CT grips, having had only a little experience with others' laser sights.

I'd go with one of the Smith & Wessons as I prefer their trigger pulls over the trigger on the Ruger LCR I tried which had a disconcerting amount of over-travel. It was off-putting to someone used to the goodness of the double-action Smith & Wesson trigger. On the plus side for the Ruger LCR, it has less perceived recoil with any given load than the Model 642 does when both are fired side by side with the same types of ammunition.

I think the blued Model 442 is better looking than the stainless Model 642 but purposely chose the 642 as I'd never owned a stainless steel firearm before. Actually both of these revolvers' frames are made of aluminum alloy.

After owning one of the Model 642s for some time I think I'd rather have a steel-framed Model 49 Bodyguard. I have a Model 36 Chief's Special which is all steel and like shooting it better than the Model 642.
    gottabkiddin and oneshot like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If you end up opting for a S&W, try to find a no-lock version.
    Brady likes this.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I have handled the 642 and I own an LCR .38. I prefered the trigger on the LCR. It gets better the more you shoot. The recoil is very manageable and the LCR is very accurate.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

As a owner of both the LCR and a couple of S&W (638, 637) I'd suggest one of the Smiths as well. The LCR is a good shooter, but IMO after about a year or so of carrying both the LCR and my 638, I would opt for one of my Smiths due to ease of carry... The grip on the Smith is smaller therefore making it easier to carry in deep cover mode and after the trigger job I had done on my 638, the LCR doesn't have anything over my Smith.. Both are good guns, but for me the Smith is a better overall revolver. JMO, YMMV..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I chose the 442 over the LCR, because it is easier for me to pocket carry.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I bought the 17 ounce LCR in .357 Mag and use it for 158 grain 38Spl +P ammunition. I wouldn't want the 13 ounce 38Spl version. I compare my LCR to my J Frame Smith of similar weight, (15 ounces), using the same ammunition, for shooting comfort, over all ergonomics, felt recoil, and trigger, and give the nod to the LCR. The trigger is different but quite smooth and very suited to the gun's intended purpose as close up self defense. For pocket carry the Tamer Grip can be swapped out for the Boot Grip.
    Attached Images
    Ishmael likes this.

i gave carful consideration to all 3 guns you mentioned before deciding on the lcr.the deciding factor for me was the better trigger,Hogue Tamer grips and lower weight of the lcr..if you end up buying the 642/442 they are great guns too,they've been around forever and have a proven track record..good luck

For me it is the 638. I have had my trigger lightly worked over and I think the added ability of single action if needed makes this the best gun for me.
    I looked at the LCR and, while I admit it is a nice gun, the width of the gun and the vague trigger sealed the deal for the S&W. For me a self defense gun should have a solid, possibly heavy, double action and that is the 638 for me. Just my opinion and you need to make this your opinion. You are the one having to depend on the gun you choose and of the group you are considering you can not go wrong.
    Good luck, Frank.
    marcclarke likes this.

I have the 642 and thats because of it's alloy and stainless contsruction. Great for concealed carry. The LCR would work too, but I have no experience with it. I was impressed with the 642's accuracy for it's size, and it has a good DA trigger. JMO, for what it's worth.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

IMAG0409.jpg

I chose the 442. I really like it. I hate the idea of pocket carry so I am working on another mode of transportation. It is my BUG. It is a bit snappy as its scadmium, but with 38 or 38+p it is manageable. I take it to the range and put 50+ rds down range without issue. I believe that you will be happy with any choice. It was my first revolver and was purchased as a BUG, function over fun. I like it very much. Buying fun guns now
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have both the LCR and the 442. I prefer the Smith in whatever flavor and as a plus CDNN has a few of the 442 at $329 that is a great buy.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    IMAG0409.jpg

I chose the 442. I really like it. I hate the idea of pocket carry so I am working on another mode of transportation. It is my BUG. It is a bit snappy as its scadmium, but with 38 or 38+p it is manageable. I take it to the range and put 50+ rds down range without issue. I believe that you will be happy with any choice. It was my first revolver and was purchased as a BUG, function over fun. I like it very much. Buying fun guns now
    The 442 is not scandium. It has an aluminum frame, steel barrel, and steel cylinder. I would choose the 442 over the others because I like a black gun and I like Smith and Wesson.
    marcclarke likes this.

I agree with both of the above, black over silver finish...I bought what was available then. Leaves my shopping options open later! The 442 at $329, sounds like a great deal to me.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Tried all 3 plus other J's,,,, liked S&W best but bought
    the one in my avatar,,,,Smith & Wesson 337 AirLite Ti 38spl
    Lightest 38 ever,,,, love it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links