i need opinions....

i need opinions....

This is a discussion on i need opinions.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well I recently acquired my one and only handgun, a SA mil-spec .45, and I love it. The only problem is that since it isn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need opinions....

i need opinions....

well I recently acquired my one and only handgun, a SA mil-spec .45, and I love it. The only problem is that since it isn't a Loaded model with all the factory "custom" work, I find that it is very picky when it comes to JHP's. I plan to carry this pistol, but only when I can get this issue resolved. So here is the question: There is a gunshop near my hometown that has a resident gunsmith that will do a ramp job for 45 dollars, should I do it? I've heard people say that I should only trust a well known gunsmith, but I don't know any well known gunsmiths around here and I don't want to have to ship my pistol anywhere. Also is a gunsmith required to warranty his work?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

If he is the only gunsmith, and you don't want to send it out, he's probably your only bet. I would have it done and trust him. I don't think that a gunsmith is required to warranty his work, but it is good business, and will cost him business in the future if he doesn't make things right.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Lead Moderator
    personally, I would try using Powerball or other expanding poly tipped ammo first.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

well the powrball was my first instinct, but I can't find any to save my life, the gunstores are always sold out. Also that really cuts down my options as far as defensive loads go. But I guess if they work, then I don't need any other options

Administrator
    First you need to determine why your firearm is hanging up feeding hollow points.

It might be an improperly tensioned & poorly adjusted extractor and not the frame ramp or the barrel throat.

The Extractor is THE most common single thing that causes feed related problems with 1911 pattern pistols.

Once you figure out exactly what is causing the problem you can easily correct it yourself.

There is no reason why you can't polish the frame feed ramp yourself without special equipment.

You do not even need a Dremel tool to do that cake job.

You can also polish the the top of the barrel chamber & polish the barrel throat cut at home and without any special equipment or tools.

Here are your choices BEFORE you do any feed ramp or throat work:

> ~ Try different hollow points until you find one that feeds reliably.

> ~ Buy & Try a Cobra Mag from Tripp Research since it positions the top round in the mag very slightly higher up for better feeding. They are GREAT mags anyway & you'll never be sorry that you bought one.

> ~ Buy a Cylinder & Slide spring steel extractor.

well the mags may be the way to go, when the malfunctions occurred I noticed that the flat tip of the bullet was lodging against the feed ramp. But the odd thing I noticed was that this only happened with a fully loaded factory 7-shot mag. If I only loaded 4 rounds in the mag it functioned fine. So do you think it is simply the mag feeding from too far south? I don't really have that much technical know how aside from field stripping and cleaning this particular pistol. My GF's grandfather is the guy I usually turn to with questions when Im in my hometown( he owns many 1911's and tuned his own for 3 gun comp's.) but when Im not in town he can't really help me.

Administrator

The bullet nose may just appear to be "stuck/jammed" on the feed ramp because the rear of the cartridge case cannot easily slide up the breech face into the extractor.

In simple terms...if the rear of the case can't slide up...then the front of the bullet/nose can't go in.

Ideally...and if everything is 100% tuned the 1911 pistol SHOULD feed the intended "Carry Cartridge" from a fully loaded magazine by easing the slide forward as slowly as possible.

The cartridge should feed by just the recoil spring tension alone.

In fact...looking down into the ejection port...you should be able to ease the slide forward & watch the cartridge slide up the magazine lips & release...the bullet nose move up the ramp...the cartridge slip up into the extractor & the round pop right into the barrel chamber.

Natrually you'll want to do that test with the pistol pointed in a safe direction while paying extremely close attention to what you're doing.

Or if not that....then (slightly less than ideal) the slide will stop and the very lightest tap with the fingers on the rear of the slide should feed the round right into the chamber.

I think it's time to do comprehensive forum thread on understanding & correcting the feed dynamics of the 1911 style pistol...since it is really not all that complicated to get everything working properly.

I'll open up a thread in the next few days.
    I can't do it today because this weekend my Brother has my digital camera & it will be impossible to do without close-up photos.
    I won't have my camera back until Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange View Post
    well the powrball was my first instinct, but I can't find any to save my life, the gunstores are always sold out. Also that really cuts down my options as far as defensive loads go. But I guess if they work, then I don't need any other options
    Try Online sources ... be your best bet.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Before you turn your gun over to him, get some references from shooters who have let him work on their 1911s. Not their bird guns or their kid's .22s or S&W wheelguns or anything else, JUST 1911s. I found out quite expensively that a "gunsmith" and a "pistolsmith" are two different animals, much less a "good" one of either type. The gunsmith may not warranty his work...but if you can't find the answer on the board easily, Springfield Armory does warrantee their GUNS, and pay shipping both ways if it's their problem. Call their customer service, they will help you out.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    well the mags may be the way to go, when the malfunctions occurred I noticed that the flat tip of the bullet was lodging against the feed ramp. But the odd thing I noticed was that this only happened with a fully loaded factory 7-shot mag. If I only loaded 4 rounds in the mag it functioned fine......
    The mags are the weakest link in the 1911 design. I have a couple Kimbers that were completely cured of feeding problems just by ditching the factory mags in favor of Wilson's and Cobramags. I would try (borrow if you can) some quality mags before I have the pistol worked on.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Ditto the magazine suggestion

There would be little risk in buying a Wilson magazine and trying it to see if the problem was solved. A quality spare magazine is always a good thing to have anyway. Midway sells them for about $28:
    Wilson magazines at Midway

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You can buy Corbon Pow'rball 45 ACP online for $17.97/box at Sportsman's Guide http://tinyurl.com/gkwno

Another option is the Federal Expanding FMJ. This is a standard pressure round, where the Pow'rball is +P. I've bought them in quantity from Ammoman for $27/box (50, not 20 as the Pow'rball), minimum purchase 5 boxes. This is the delivered price.
    http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm, and click on 45ACP

Question

Mr. Orange,...are you having any problems with FMJ's feeding? How many rounds have you put through the weapon during the "break-in" period? If it feeds FMJ's without problems, I wouldn't think the extractor tension is the problem, but I'm no gunsmith.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

it runs FLAWLESSLY with fmj's. I'm not sure on the exact round count but its between 600-800. That's why I was thinking about the ramp job, since its a mil-spec and 1911's were built for fmj's.

well I recently acquired my one and only handgun, a SA mil-spec .45, and I love it. The only problem is that since it isn't a Loaded model with all the factory "custom" work, I find that it is very picky when it comes to JHP's. I plan to carry this pistol, but only when I can get this issue resolved. So here is the question: There is a gunshop near my hometown that has a resident gunsmith that will do a ramp job for 45 dollars, should I do it? I've heard people say that I should only trust a well known gunsmith, but I don't know any well known gunsmiths around here and I don't want to have to ship my pistol anywhere. Also is a gunsmith required to warranty his work?
    Most states do not have a formal licensing/certification program for gunsmiths. The result is that a lot of "gun butchers" hang out their shingle and just cannot do the job. Getting a guarantee/warranty from one of these guys only means that they will continue to work on it (and charge you) until you run out of patience or money.

Before you send the gun out there are some "experiments" that you can do. First, how does the gun perform with FMJ ammo? If the gun performs well and reliably with FMJ then your likely "culprit" is a magazine problem. I have a SA GI and I can tell you that the mag that they send with the gun is pretty bad.

Buy a couple of high quality mags e.g. Wilson and see how the 1911 performs with that mag in place. If mags are the problem then that is an easy "fix" and just throw the old mag away.

Have you tried calling up Springfield Armory and see what they suggest? They tend to know their products pretty well and should be able to give you some good advice.

Hunt for the gunsmith with the absolutely best reputation in your area. If there in only one guy and he does not come highly recommended - look elsewhere. Putting your 1911 into the hands of a lousy gun smith is a recipe for anger, frustration, and heartache.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links