New Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring

New Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring

This is a discussion on New Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So...my PM9 has a bit over 700 rounds through it, and depending on who I speak to at Kahr tech support, the life of a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: New Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring

Lightbulb New Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring

So...my PM9 has a bit over 700 rounds through it, and depending on who I speak to at Kahr tech support, the life of a PM9 recoil spring is 1000-1500 rounds. I bought a new spring, and relegated the old one to "practice use only."

The new recoil spring was notably longer than the old one - these light pistols really pound their recoil springs into submission. However, when I installed the new spring, I could not get the slide to lock open - at all.

I called their tech support, and spoke to a very knowledgeable tech. He said that the recoil springs need to be fitted to each individual pistol. You need to cut 1/2 of a coil, and try to see if the slide lock will work. For me, the very first cut did it.

What was interesting to me was how this revealed variations in the tolerances of each individual pistol. When I installed the new recoil spring, and got it "fitted" properly...lo and behold...I could slingshot the slide, and it would load properly! In other words, the new spring is probably slightly longer and stronger than the original was even when the original was new, and that extra power allows the spring to load from a slingshot, where before I would get the infamous "Kahr nose down jam."

I hope this helps anyone else who runs into this issue when getting new recoil springs for their PM9 (and CM9). And, if you cannot easily slingshot your first round into your Kahr pistol, perhaps a more powerful recoil spring (Wolff makes extra-power springs for the PM9, 20.5 lbs vs 18 lb factory) might solve the issue.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Interesting. You just gave me an idea for a 1911 that I've been monkeying with. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the information.... As a side note. The CM9 is about 1/8" longer in the slide over the PM9 whether or not that translates to a longer recoil spring, not sure. I wonder if it's possible that Kahr is shipping the same recoil spring for both. My CM9 works everytime with a good sling shot slide rack.. Anyway, glad it's working for ya.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    This is the first report I've read of Kahr CS recommending a spring be custom "fitted" to one of their pistols. I too wonder if it's due to the recent slide length change. Sounds like a recipe for failure.

I think the two spring rotation, (one for carry and one for practice), is a good idea for guns that are carried and have a short recoil spring life span.

I don't have one of the smallest of the Kahr models, but do all the others. I've yet to own one that didn't load via the slingshot method when done vigorously. Perhaps the size is a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I think the two spring rotation, (one for carry and one for practice), is a good idea for guns that are carried and have a short recoil spring life span.
    I don't know.. I think I would rather leave the same recoil spring in it that I practice with to ensure reliable functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    I don't know.. I think I would rather leave the same recoil spring in it that I practice with to ensure reliable functionality.
    Except that, at a certain point, you will start to get failures to return fully to battery. I experienced that issue with my first PM9 at about the 1400 round point, IIRC. I suppose I should run a box of range ammo through it - if it functions fine with that, it should have no issues with +P defensive ammo.

With these small, light guns, you have to walk a fine line between testing it, practicing with it...but at the same time, being aware that you are "wearing it out" with every shot fired. When you change a component like a recoil spring, you start the process almost all over again from the beginning.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; January 7th, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: more info
    ripley16 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Somewhere in production Kahr changed the PM9 slide/barrel from 3.0 to 3.1 in. With the new slide they increased the recoil spring from 13 coils to 15 coils. Their web site now tells you to count the coils on the existing spring so you can order the correct one, it indicates old style 13 coils new 15. I think the new guns have a bevel at the front of the slides where the old is squared off. If you order from Kahr, regardless of whether you have the new or old style they sell the recoil assembly as one unit, I think its about $25. If you have the old style you can still order just the larger outer spring separately from Wolf for around $9.00. They offer two spring rates, the standard is 18.5 lbs and a stronger version at 20.5 lbs. Hope this helps.

I didn't know this. Thanks for the information, I'll be ordering a new spring for mine soon. Mine is an older version.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So...my PM9 has a bit over 700 rounds through it, and depending on who I speak to at Kahr tech support, the life of a PM9 recoil spring is 1000-1500 rounds. I bought a new spring, and relegated the old one to "practice use only."

The new recoil spring was notably longer than the old one - these light pistols really pound their recoil springs into submission. However, when I installed the new spring, I could not get the slide to lock open - at all.

I called their tech support, and spoke to a very knowledgeable tech. He said that the recoil springs need to be fitted to each individual pistol. You need to cut 1/2 of a coil, and try to see if the slide lock will work. For me, the very first cut did it.

What was interesting to me was how this revealed variations in the tolerances of each individual pistol. When I installed the new recoil spring, and got it "fitted" properly...lo and behold...I could slingshot the slide, and it would load properly! In other words, the new spring is probably slightly longer and stronger than the original was even when the original was new, and that extra power allows the spring to load from a slingshot, where before I would get the infamous "Kahr nose down jam."

I hope this helps anyone else who runs into this issue when getting new recoil springs for their PM9 (and CM9). And, if you cannot easily slingshot your first round into your Kahr pistol, perhaps a more powerful recoil spring (Wolff makes extra-power springs for the PM9, 20.5 lbs vs 18 lb factory) might solve the issue.
    Remember my post last week with the pic? I think I was only at 600. However, I did not have to do any cutting. I counted the coils and there was the same number. I inserted and done. However, I did notice it was considerably harder to pull slide back. As noted last week, 80 rds and zero ftf's. Hopefully will get back out this week.
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

Links