G10 grips

This is a discussion on G10 grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a SIG 226 stainless elite. Has the nice rosewood grips. It shoots well, and I can drop the slide and run the decocker ...

Thread: G10 grips

G10 grips

I have a SIG 226 stainless elite. Has the nice rosewood grips. It shoots well, and I can drop the slide and run the decocker well, but the mag release is just a touch farther than I would like. Am thinking of replacing those sharp rosewood grips, and have heard that G10s are tough to beat. They will hopefully slim the grip down a bit, and for that price, cut my groups in half (yeah, right). Maybe not. What do those of you who run them think?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I added them on my P229 SCT, third P229 I've owned and the first I've run Hogues on. I'll never use standard Sig grips again, the G-10's improve the ergonomics that much for me. I don't like how the E2's feel, but the Hogues are perfect, slightly slimmer and the chain link texture I went with is sharp and grippy. I ended up taking 120 grit sand paper and gently taking the edge off of the left panel that was against my skin because it was eating away at my flesh. Well worth the price, surprisingly so.

DSC00752.jpg
    DSC00753.jpg

On my P220 Stainless Elite, similar platform, I removed the rosewood grips immediately after taking ownership of the gun. Didn't like the feel OR the color and pretty much knew they'd be off before I ordered the gun. Now, I don't run G10 but the Sig ultra thin grips which I preferred for a while. Finally ended up with Hogue rubber grips, which feel the best to me. I like Micarta as a material--it's absolutely wonderful--and G10 is somewhat similar. G10 would be my first choice if the rubber grips ever start to look real cruddy.

As an aside, I put the rosewood grips up for auction on eBay and I think I got about $200 for them, which I donated to one of the folks at Grayguns to support her trip to USPSA Nationals a few years back. I couldn't think of a better thing to do with them--they're just gaudy to me, and not that comfy.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Administrator
    Never try to "make do" with handgun grips that don't feel right on a self-defense carry firearm.
    Swap them for grips that do fit.
    If you can't find that perfect set of aftermarket grips that fit your hand perfectly then break out the sandpaper and the Dremel and make them fit.

You might be able to tell from these pics of my P229 Elite how slim the G10s are. They are way thinner than even the factory plastic P229 grips. By far the best upgrade to date.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have Hogue G10's on my Sig P220 Carry and love them. They don't scratch, don't conduct heat and cold, are very thin and they are very grippy. Love them....

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I added them on my P229 SCT, third P229 I've owned and the first I've run Hogues on. I'll never use standard Sig grips again, the G-10's improve the ergonomics that much for me. I don't like how the E2's feel, but the Hogues are perfect, slightly slimmer and the chain link texture I went with is sharp and grippy. I ended up taking 120 grit sand paper and gently taking the edge off of the left panel that was against my skin because it was eating away at my flesh. Well worth the price, surprisingly so.

DSC00752.jpg
    DSC00753.jpg
    That's a nice pistol.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    That's a nice pistol.
    Thanks, Out of the Sig line I really like the P229 and the SCT has features I find very desirable. It splits time as my daily carry with a Colt Combat Elite 1911 and I really couldn't pick a favorite model between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Thanks, Out of the Sig line I really like the P229 and the SCT has features I find very desirable. It splits time as my daily carry with a Colt Combat Elite 1911 and I really couldn't pick a favorite model between the two.
    I'd love to have one. Shot one once, a range beater, it had to be the softest shooting .40 I shot.

sgb
    I'm seriously considering investing in some G10 grips for my 226's.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

lel
    I have the factory aluminum Sig grips on my 226. I purchased them at the Sig Pro Shop in Exeter, NH. They replaced Hogue finger groove rubber grips. They are similar to the G10's (checkered). I like the fact that they say Sig Sauer on them. Huge improvement. Can't go wrong with them or G10's.

Links