CZ/Dan Wesson Pointman 7 1911

This is a discussion on CZ/Dan Wesson Pointman 7 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting to save my dinero for something I have never owned, but have always liked, a 1911. I was originally looking at the SA ...

Thread: CZ/Dan Wesson Pointman 7 1911

CZ/Dan Wesson Pointman 7 1911

I'm starting to save my dinero for something I have never owned, but have always liked, a 1911. I was originally looking at the SA full size 1911's and liked the idea of the light frame version:

I kept going back and forth though between that and the full weight version:

Then I started looking at info on the pointman 7. It costs a little more than the sa, but pretty much everything I have read post CZ has been very good. Here's an example of a review from another site that I'm not a member of but stumbled accross while researching it. There are more nice pic's of it here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1314594

I still have a while before I will have the dinero, but I was just wondering if anyone has opinions/experience between these 3? Any opinions on the SA light frame vs the regular one?

Thanks
    Last edited by saltysquid; August 20th, 2006 at 01:07 PM.

2. Remove Ads

In my opinion why spend so much extra money when if you buy Springfield you are getting an outstanding pistol with great customer support to boot. I personally have a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec and I would put it up against anybodys, $1,000 or more gun. In my opinion save your money and go Springfield. I would not go with the light weight, just my2cents again.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

The Dan Wesson is only about 100. more than the SA loded model so It's really not "so much more money" while saving for it. It also uses some ed brown parts (if that really makes a difference).

If I got the mil-spec and added a new beavertail, trigger, hammer, etc. isn't it going to cost as much as buying one loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    In my opinion why spend so much extra money when if you buy Springfield you are getting an outstanding pistol with great customer support to boot. I personally have a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec and I would put it up against anybodys, $1,000 or more gun. In my opinion save your money and go Springfield. I would not go with the light weight, just my2cents again.

Keep your eyes open for deals... I got a DW (pre-CZ) PM3 for $350. then I found out that the biggest difference between it and the PM7 is that the PM7 has a match grade bbl. Hmmm... OTOH, SA's have been seen in many places with "value pricing." My local gun shop has one that has had a lot of add-ons for $575, IIRC. He recently sold a used, but still VG SA Champion for $450.

I don't know that you could go wrong either way. Check out the SA and DW rooms over at 1911Forum . I'll say that the SA's I have shot have been good to go...even the MilSpec's and GI's.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

For me it's the Pointman that I would recommend to you and then the Springfields.

Why the Dan Wesson before the Springfield?

The Pointman Seven is a 5 series 70 style 1911 featuring a stainless steel frame and forged stainless steel slide. Like all Dan Wesson 1911s, Pointman models incorporate top quality parts from the best names in the industry

Forged, one piece match grade barrel and bushing.
    Round top slide with Bo-Mar style adjustable target sight
    Hand polished flat surfaces with contrasting bead blasted rounds
    Flat, all steel 20-LPI checkered mainspring housing
    Front and rear cocking serrations
    Beveled magwell
    All sharp edges dehorned by hand
    Lowered and flared ejection port
    Hand polished feed ramp
    Ed Brown slide stop
    Ed Brown memory groove grip safety
    Tactical extended thumb safety
    One piece full length stainless guide rod
    Commander style match hammer
    Match grade sear
    Aluminum trigger with stainless bow
    Extended serrated magazine catch
    Wolff springs used exclusively
    Diamond checkered coco-bolo grips
    Tuned, machined, internal extractor
    test fired for reliability
    38 ounces unloaded

All of this makes the Dan Wesson line woth it. This is by far the best value for the dollar out there. $800.00 - $830.00 is a steal for what you get with a DW. Springfield does have a lifetime warranty though.

With the Ed Brown Part's, series 70 style, hand fitting and polishing, match grade part's, Wolff spings though out, fit and finish of the DW it's very hard to beat IMO.

It really depends on what you want to do with this 1911 but my choices would go something like (for me anyway),

1) PM-7
    2) Springfield (steel frame)
    3) Springfield (LW frame)

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Nice list TI.

I like the springfields a lot, not only the 1911's but the xd's also. If I got a mil-spec and customized it myself or had it customized wouldn't that void the warranty? I'm thinking to keep the lifetime warranty one would have to get a loaded and not change it, but I may be wrong.

The 1911 I get would be mostly a bbq gun. I would carry it sometimes, but it would not be a regular carry. If I liked it so much I wanted one for daily carry I would probably get a GI or something really cheap. I really like both, but I think the wesson has more than 100.00 worth of extras over the loaded. I'm not putting the loaded down at all either.

[QUOTE=saltysquid;181403]Nice list TI.[QUOTE]

Thanks, I got it right from the CZ/DW website!

I like the springfields a lot, not only the 1911's but the xd's also.
    I like SF also, as well as the XD models. Your question was between the SF and CZ/DW 1911's and I believe the DW is the better choice between them.

If I got a mil-spec and customized it myself or had it customized wouldn't that void the warranty? I'm thinking to keep the lifetime warranty one would have to get a loaded and not change it, but I may be wrong.
    Yes, I believe that would void the warranty on your S.F., that's a good point and why the life time warranty does not sway me to the Springfields in any way.

You really can't go wrong with any of your choices, my opinion is just that, an opinion! The best thing to do is gather as much info as you can on what you want and find the best model that fit's your need's. If you do that, you just can't go wrong.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    No problems with my LW SA
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

[QUOTE=Ti Carry;181423][QUOTE=saltysquid;181403]Nice list TI.

I like SF also, as well as the XD models. Your question was between the SF and CZ/DW 1911's and I believe the DW is the better choice between them.
    I don't need to question the XD as I already have that in an xd45 svc.:)

I'm swaying toward the wessons though if I can swing it.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I have a Dan Wesson Pointman Aussie (pre-CZ). It has been utterly reliable right out of the box, it shot the pants off of all of my other 1911s, with no failures of any kind. I got it straight from the factory.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

My Dan Wesson 1911 is a great shooter. It is a prototype straight from the factory a few years ago, it ran $650.

They put some great parts in their guns and with the 1.6 lb trigger, it hits where your aiming.

I guess like anything else when your looking at comparable well made products it is just going to boil down to what strikes your fancy. I definately would have a hard time parting with my Dan Wesson
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (85.7 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (91.4 KB, 7 views)
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links