Defensive Carry banner

Looking at 1911's

4K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  medmunds21 
#1 ·
Got to shoot a RIA 1911 recently and have now gotta have one. I have asked my local gun shop to find me a Ruger SR1911 but availability seems to be an issue. The MSRP on the Ruger is about $800.00 but I will be able to get this at a much better deal.

My question is, if I cannot get this gun in a reasonable length of time what are your suggestions. I have got to stay in the price range of the Ruger but changing to another manufacturer does not bother me much. I do want to stick with .45 caliber and full size.

Almost wish I had never touched that gun... Gonna cost me for sure!

#2 ·
If you can't get the Ruger, you should be able to get a Springfield in the same price range.
Personally I'd get the Springer over the Ruger. The Springer 1911 has a proven track record and their customer service is outstanding. Ruger is new to the 1911 market and hasn't been around long enough to insure it's durability.

#4 ·
Para is a good option.
One thing to keep in mind if you have your hart set on one model do settle unless you find a darn good reason to change your mind.
Settling for some thing else most often ends up in disappointment.

#7 ·
Would go with a springfield or colt, you can pick up a gently used colt for that price range where i am from. I took a RIA on a trade deal at a gun show, cause It was at a great price, and really glad I did, it has been an excellant shooter, and now it lives in my truck, and there is no doubt it will go bang when i pull the trigger, but if you have the money to go better, i definatly would.

#10 ·
My youngest son bought himself a Springer Range Officer for Christmas. Took it to the range and it shot groups the size of a quarter at 25 yards! Beautiful weapon, with a lot of the upgrades built right in! It was only $900.

#13 ·
If you are going to buy a 1911 for $800, why don't you buy this Dan Wesson for $200 more. $999 , buy now & free ship.
CZ Dan Wesson 1911 Heritage 45 ACP 2 Mag Free Ship,,,,, CZ Dan Wesson 1911 Heritage 45 ACP 2 Mag Free Ship : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Or this DW Pointman for BUY now, $800,,,, Dan Wesson Pointman 1911 .45ACP, Match barrel NIB : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
Yes you may get the Ruger for $650, but ,,,,,,,

I, personally, for less money than the Ruger would get an RI or an American Classic II Government Deluxe,( write up here by Gunblast):;
Firestorm and American Classic II Government Deluxe Model 1911 .45 ACP Auto Pistol

American classic @ GB for $400-500 all day,,GunBroker.com - Error

#14 ·
I went with American made.
Smith and Wesson E series. <900 out the door.
Very happy with it.
It is my first 1911.
It won't be my last.
Lots of choices in the <1000 range.
Springfield RO is a good one.

In the basic GI model, hard not to look at the Phillippines variantes.
Fundamental question-is it a range gun or intended for carry?

#15 ·
I have a Springfield Armory Loaded and a few Kimbers. I want a Ruger too.
Springfield is not American made but has a life time warranty, and you'll probably need it. Mine went back when the thumb safety was sticking. The slide to frame fit on mine is very loose and the barrel and bushing are loose, Springfield says it's normal and wouldn't fix those issues. It sits in the safe and never gets shot.
Kimber is American made and claims a 1 year warranty but I have known them to make repairs after 1 year for others. I have never needed to use there warranty department on the 4 I have owned. Mine all have tight fitting slide as well as barrel and bushing. Lock-up is great. These see range use at least once a week.
My suggestion would be Kimber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.