Looking at 1911's

Looking at 1911's

This is a discussion on Looking at 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got to shoot a RIA 1911 recently and have now gotta have one. I have asked my local gun shop to find me a Ruger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking at 1911's

Looking at 1911's

Got to shoot a RIA 1911 recently and have now gotta have one. I have asked my local gun shop to find me a Ruger SR1911 but availability seems to be an issue. The MSRP on the Ruger is about $800.00 but I will be able to get this at a much better deal.

My question is, if I cannot get this gun in a reasonable length of time what are your suggestions. I have got to stay in the price range of the Ruger but changing to another manufacturer does not bother me much. I do want to stick with .45 caliber and full size.

Almost wish I had never touched that gun... Gonna cost me for sure!
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

VIP Member
    If you can't get the Ruger, you should be able to get a Springfield in the same price range.
    Personally I'd get the Springer over the Ruger. The Springer 1911 has a proven track record and their customer service is outstanding. Ruger is new to the 1911 market and hasn't been around long enough to insure it's durability.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    JerryMac likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Para is a good option.
    One thing to keep in mind if you have your hart set on one model do settle unless you find a darn good reason to change your mind.
    Settling for some thing else most often ends up in disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    Got to shoot a RIA 1911 recently and have now gotta have one. I have asked my local gun shop to find me a Ruger SR1911 but availability seems to be an issue. The MSRP on the Ruger is about $800.00 but I will be able to get this at a much better deal.

My question is, if I cannot get this gun in a reasonable length of time what are your suggestions. I have got to stay in the price range of the Ruger but changing to another manufacturer does not bother me much. I do want to stick with .45 caliber and full size.

Almost wish I had never touched that gun... Gonna cost me for sure!
    Went to my local gun show today.... I'm loving my Springfield 1911 I got under $800. IMG_0933.jpg
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Check out the magnum research desert eagle 1911. Its in your price range and you won't find a bad review on one. I have had mine over a year and could not be happier with it. I also could not find a better 1911 for the money.

Nate

Sent from Nates Droid X

Would go with a springfield or colt, you can pick up a gently used colt for that price range where i am from. I took a RIA on a trade deal at a gun show, cause It was at a great price, and really glad I did, it has been an excellant shooter, and now it lives in my truck, and there is no doubt it will go bang when i pull the trigger, but if you have the money to go better, i definatly would.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    For that price range my vote would go to Springfield they make a nice gun.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Proud NRA member

My youngest son bought himself a Springer Range Officer for Christmas. Took it to the range and it shot groups the size of a quarter at 25 yards! Beautiful weapon, with a lot of the upgrades built right in! It was only $900.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

the Ruger 1911 had some decent reviews. i would go for a Springfield like others said.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    If you would consider a Remington R1 here is a link to one LNIB for $500

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?p=39660
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    If you are going to buy a 1911 for $800, why don't you buy this Dan Wesson for $200 more. $999 , buy now & free ship.
    CZ Dan Wesson 1911 Heritage 45 ACP 2 Mag Free Ship,,,,, CZ Dan Wesson 1911 Heritage 45 ACP 2 Mag Free Ship : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Or this DW Pointman for BUY now, $800,,,, Dan Wesson Pointman 1911 .45ACP, Match barrel NIB : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Yes you may get the Ruger for $650, but ,,,,,,,

I, personally, for less money than the Ruger would get an RI or an American Classic II Government Deluxe,( write up here by Gunblast):;
    Firestorm and American Classic II Government Deluxe Model 1911 .45 ACP Auto Pistol

American classic @ GB for $400-500 all day,,GunBroker.com - Error
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I went with American made.
    Smith and Wesson E series. <900 out the door.
    Very happy with it.
    It is my first 1911.
    It won't be my last.
    Lots of choices in the <1000 range.
    Springfield RO is a good one.

In the basic GI model, hard not to look at the Phillippines variantes.
    Fundamental question-is it a range gun or intended for carry?

I have a Springfield Armory Loaded and a few Kimbers. I want a Ruger too.
    Springfield is not American made but has a life time warranty, and you'll probably need it. Mine went back when the thumb safety was sticking. The slide to frame fit on mine is very loose and the barrel and bushing are loose, Springfield says it's normal and wouldn't fix those issues. It sits in the safe and never gets shot.
    Kimber is American made and claims a 1 year warranty but I have known them to make repairs after 1 year for others. I have never needed to use there warranty department on the 4 I have owned. Mine all have tight fitting slide as well as barrel and bushing. Lock-up is great. These see range use at least once a week.
    My suggestion would be Kimber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links