Which revolver do you like for a dual purpose BUG / Primary

This is a discussion on Which revolver do you like for a dual purpose BUG / Primary within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mr surveyor I also wear nothing but jeans and boots, and I would have a hard time carrying even an NAA Mini ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Which revolver do you like for a dual purpose BUG / Primary

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I also wear nothing but jeans and boots, and I would have a hard time carrying even an NAA Mini in my pants pockets. Also had quite a few small framed revolvers over the years and couldn't pocket carry any of them. So, since shootability became more of an issue, I opted for a 3" SP101 in .357 mag, which is just as easy to carry IWB or OWB as any other small framed revolver, and much more user friendly with the hot rounds. But, if you insist on pocket carry in jeans, choose wisely. jmo

surv
    My "comfort fit" Wranglers(TM) let me pocket carry my 638 without difficulty.

Once I have to put a pocket gun into a holster inside or outside my belt I'll wear my Glock 30SF IWB or OWB instead of a 5-round or 6-round revolver on my belt. A small-framed Glock weighs about the same as a steel snub-nosed revolver (e.g. Ruger SP101 snub-nose) and carries twice the number of rounds as a J-frame revolver (5 in the J-frame and 9+1 or 10+1 in a Glock 26 or Glock 30).

To my way of thinking a pocket gun is just that, a gun light enough in weight to comfortably carry and conceal in one's pants' front pocket or one vest's pocket or one's parka's pocket. I'll accept the limited number of rounds (5 in a S&W J-frame) for the convenience and ease of concealment (I buy all my pants with a pleated front and a "comfort fit" cut). Once I move up to a gun that is too heavy to carry in my pocket I'll switch over to a polymer-framed semi-automatic in a belt holster or belly band.
    JerryMac likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar

That is my vote
    JerryMac and Rigrat like this.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I like my Smith model 60. All stainless 357. Heavy but easy to hang on to. 38+P is the ammo of the day, no 357 mags for me. Primary carry is IWB in an Alessi holster. BUG carry is in a Desantis Nemesis in a vest pocket. J frames are like four wheel drives: once you have one, you'll always have one.

I'll add another vote for the 638! It was my first J-frame, and is still my most-carried gun. I wore it all day today in a Mika pocket holster and was hardly aware it was there. I have a Crimson Trace 405 grip on it and would certainly recommend it. The pocket on the backstrap DOES help lessen the felt recoil.

VIP Member
    I really like the stainless 2.5" 626 plus. Ya, it's a little bigger, but I love it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Although I don't carry anything in my pocket, I do carry a S&W 2" Airweight in a holster a lot. I carry in a holster as this is the way I have carried for 45 years, muscle memory does not like change.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I own a couple of small frame revolvers. For a day just tooling around on the Harleys I would carry my 642 AIWB I just prefer it over pocket carry in pants pockets anyways. I have often stuck my J frame in the pocket of my leather jacket for easy access in cold weather. I don't own a car so the Harleys are my year round transport.

I just got two more small frames havent gotten home to carry them yet though. I have a feeling the Colt will quickly become my favorite.

JerryMac likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

S&W 642 airweight snubby

My preferred small revolver for concealment is the S&W 642 with internal hammer. I have a pocket holster for it, but find that it makes an obvious bump in pants pockets and is a little uncomfortable when seated, as well as difficult to draw when seated. So I generally prefer an appendix position IWB belt holster like the Comp-Tac shown below. This is more comfortable for me and can be drawn when seated.

JerryMac likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I love my .38 lcr. I bought it as a package with the CT laser grips included. The trigger is much better than any found on a S&W snubbie! No comparison there!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    S&W 360. Option of .357 or .38. Less than a pound and pocketable. Hammer is not an issue if drawn with thumb over hammer spur. Hammer gives you options as well on the range and possibly in SD situation.

Mine is used as a primary in the gym and other times when a belt is not worn (IWB draw string shorts or sweats). Used as a backup when I feel the need.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I also wear nothing but jeans and boots,

???
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I have the LCR, S&W 637 & 638 revolvers that I use for BUG and occasional primary carry pieces... Outa the three my 638 get more use by far over the others. All of um are top tier choices IMO, but for me, the 638 has the best of everything I consider important; SA, or DAO trigger system, smaller overall size verses the LCR and absolute reliability.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

S&W 642 is my go anywhere gun. Although a K40 or G23 are my primaries, the 642 in a Mika pocket holster allows me to always be armed. In Wrangler relaxed fit jeans, dockers, or slacks it's a comforting companion. A definite plus is that with pocket carry you can have a firing grip on your gun with no one the wiser.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My every day dress consists primarily of cargo-shorts and a tee shirt. I too use a P3AT whenever I find it necessary to put on slacks and a collared shirt. The worst thing I can think of is a heavy gun, of any type, flopping around in my pocket. I absolutely love my LCR in .357, but in the final analysis it is noticeably heavier than my S&W 342. I am currently waiting to find a dealer who actually has a Berretta Nano in stock so I can compare it's weight. I may end up with a Kel-Tec PF-9 or P-11.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links