Which revolver do you like for a dual purpose BUG / Primary

This is a discussion on Which revolver do you like for a dual purpose BUG / Primary within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The warden , '' wife'' , has ok'd the purchase of another toy....I have been using a small 380, keltec as a bug or sometimes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Which revolver do you like for a dual purpose BUG / Primary

The warden , '' wife'' , has ok'd the purchase of another toy....I have been using a small 380, keltec as a bug or sometimes primary, cause it is the gun I always no matter what have in my pocket.
    I am wanting some input if you personally use a revolver as a primary or BUG . Which one would be the best for front pocket carry, how it carries, as my concern would be the grips, being harder to possibly get out of the pocket, if they are rubber.
    The ones I am thinking on are the Ruger LCR / S&W lightweights, several models, or possibly a charter arms. I am wanting to keep it as light as I can, but also want it to be as concealable as possible....
    As this will at times be my primary carry weapon, I want reliability, concealability, and nothing under 38 caliber. It will mainly be a pocket gun, and I am a jeans n boots kinda guy , THanks....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

My pick would be the S&W 438 or 638 and 443 or 642 depending on the finish you like. Get a good pocket holster and go.
    As an aside. CDNN has some of the 442 still on sale for $329. Heck of a bargain.

My lifestyle dictates that I can't always strap on the 1911 or even the CW9, but I always want to be armed. Thus of all the guns I carry when I leave the house, the one with the highest total "mileage" has to be my .38 snub.

You can't go wrong with a S&W J-frame for the gun you won't leave home without. I've got a pair of Taurus clones, the one frequently in my pocket is a lightweight model with a shrouded hammer, Bodyguard style. Carried in a pocket holster, it's compact and draws easily. The Centennial models (hammer completely internal) are DAO but also offer a snag-free draw from the pocket.

S&W is at the top of the heap for overall reliability; the Taurus and Rossi models have hit-or-miss quality these days (I'm lucky, I got 2 good ones). I've handled but not shot the LCR, and it just didn't do much for me, but obviously they're incredibly popular, and Rugers are known for their robustness.

Weight-wise, I wouldn't go lighter than 15 ounces. S&W has some scandium alloy J-frames that run around 12 ounces, and even with standard-pressure .38 rounds they're a handful and not a lot of fun to shoot. Even my 15 oz Taurus isn't much fun for me after a few dozen rounds - it's not a recreational gun.

If you can find a good one, the Colt Detective Special offers 6 shots in a package with an envelope only a tiny bit larger than the J frame. My DS even fits in my pocket holster, although once it gets the Grant Cunningham makeover it will get its own holster.

A lot of folks favor the .357 mag in a snubby, but I'm not one of 'em. A .38 +P offers plenty of power for "social" events without the buck, roar and muzzle flash of the .357. If I want or need to carry a compact .357, it'll be in 28-oz Ruger 101 or a S&W K-frame snub, thank you.

Just my 2 cents' worth... I'm sure there will be lots more. Use the search function and find the long-running "Ultimate Snubbie" thread for LOTS more input!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

When I bought a revolver with pocket carry in mind I opted for the S&W 438. At the time I considered the S&W 442 but chose the 438 for it's shrouded hammer BodyGuard style.
    Attached Images
    BugDude, JerryMac and marcclarke like this.

LCR LCR LCR that's my vote and my almost everyday pocket carry
    JerryMac likes this.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    My pick would be the S&W 438 or 638 and 443 or 642 depending on the finish you like. Get a good pocket holster and go.
    I second the above recommendations. I ended up with a 638 primarily because I found a new one for $336. Were I to do it over again I would get the dark colored 438 as it is harder to see the darkened butt of the 438 when carried in a pocket holster in the right front pants pocket.

I personally like having the versatility of the shrouded hammer and the single-action option. The single action trigger pull on my 638 is about 3 pounds, and I can shoot it quite accurately in single action mode. Once I add a Crimson Trace laser I expect to be able to routinely practice head shots at 25 yards (an easy feat with a S&W Bodyguard 38 with its built-in laser).

I like having a shrouded hammer because of the possibility of firing out of a down vest's or parka's pocket. I like being able to have my hand on my revolver inside my pocket if I find a situation worrysome, and I like being able to walk away with no one the wiser when the situations turns out to not be a problem. A S&W 442 would work equally well for that purpose, but does not offer the option of a single-action shot. With the 638 or the 438 I get to have my cake and eat it too, with both single-action and double-action capabilities, solid reliability when firing from inside a pocket, and a no-snag draw stroke from a pocket.

I do not like the idea of a semi-automatic for a pocket pistol as I would get off at most one round before the slide grabbed the fabric inside my pocket and jammed. I do not like the idea of an exposed hammer on a revolver as an exposed hammer will snag on the fabric inside my pocket as I attempt to draw it. Sure, the recommended technique is to cover the exposed hammer with one's thumb as one draws the revolver from one's pocket, but who is going to think to do that when some goblin lunges out of the shadows with his knife drawn? I want to be able to fire the revolver from inside my pocket and I want to be able to snatch the revolver out of my pocket without having to devote brain CPU cycles to the draw stroke when my heart beat suddenly shot up to 250 beats per minute and I only have a few tenths of a second to respond to a sudden attack.

While I personally ended up with a .38 Special +P S&W 638 I think that the newer polymer-framed revolvers also merit your close attention. The new Ruger LCR in .38 Special or .357 Magnum works well, and the new S&W Bodyguard 38 with bundled laser is a rocking good deal (versus a 638 plus Crimson Trace Grips for about $270 beyond the price of the revolver).

A Ruger LCR in .357 Magnum weighs a bit more than the .38 Special version, is still very suitable for pocket carry, and you can shoot either .38 Special +P or .357 Magnum rounds for self-defense.

As you have probably noticed, I am a huge fan of lasers for pocket pistols. Short sight radii really suck. A laser gives a pocket gun an "infinite" sight radius for times when longer shots in wretched lighting conditions are necessary.

And yes, by all means visit the "Ultimate Snubby Thread".
    JerryMac likes this.

I chose the S&W 637 Airweight

JerryMac likes this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Thanks for the input and keep it coming, I am really thinking now with a laser pkg included on the gun, so i might want to weigh my options on purchase of pkg versus seperate. Thanks all....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    The warden , '' wife'' , has ok'd the purchase of another toy....I have been using a small 380, keltec as a bug or sometimes primary, cause it is the gun I always no matter what have in my pocket.
    I am wanting some input if you personally use a revolver as a primary or BUG . Which one would be the best for front pocket carry, how it carries, as my concern would be the grips, being harder to possibly get out of the pocket, if they are rubber.
    The ones I am thinking on are the Ruger LCR / S&W lightweights, several models, or possibly a charter arms. I am wanting to keep it as light as I can, but also want it to be as concealable as possible....
    As this will at times be my primary carry weapon, I want reliability, concealability, and nothing under 38 caliber. It will mainly be a pocket gun, and I am a jeans n boots kinda guy , THanks....
    I have a S & W 638, I had a Ruger LCR, until it became my wife's "while I'm away gun". Either one would make a good back up, both are reliable and accurate. Although, with the enclosed hammer vs the shrouded hammer, the LCR has less places for pocket lint to gather.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I picked the 442 over the LCR because it fits in my pocket better, it has a better trigger (to me), and it's just plain got more character than another black gun.

For .357 flavor I chose the SP101 because it's heavier.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Love my LCR but..... "if" I was going to pocket carry, I would most likely opt for a S&W 642 or 442.
    JerryMac likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I chose the S&W 637 Airweight

This would be perfect for pocket carry "if" it did not have an exposed hammer.
    JerryMac likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Although, with the enclosed hammer vs the shrouded hammer, the LCR has less places for pocket lint to gather.
    A can of compressed air with a tube (such as the one I use to blow the crud out of my computer's keyboard on a regular basis) takes care of that problem on a 638/438. No need to worry about lint or dust bunnies with a shrouded hammer.
    JerryMac likes this.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I also wear nothing but jeans and boots, and I would have a hard time carrying even an NAA Mini in my pants pockets. Also had quite a few small framed revolvers over the years and couldn't pocket carry any of them. So, since shootability became more of an issue, I opted for a 3" SP101 in .357 mag, which is just as easy to carry IWB or OWB as any other small framed revolver, and much more user friendly with the hot rounds. But, if you insist on pocket carry in jeans, choose wisely. jmo

surv
    JerryMac likes this.

I went with the S&W 442 and put some old school wooden Chief's Special grips on it. It is my favorite all around easy to carry no matter what gun.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links