anyone carrying a makarov?

This is a discussion on anyone carrying a makarov? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been shopping for a new carry pistol. But every time i convince myself that i've found "the one", i mess with my mak again, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: anyone carrying a makarov?

I've been shopping for a new carry pistol. But every time i convince myself that i've found "the one", i mess with my mak again, and think that they really aren't $300 to $500 better than what i have. i'm gonna order a really nice iwb holster to help with the weight, and then a good gun belt. i guess there's no point in fixing what's not broke.

2. Remove Ads

The Makarov is suppose to be one of the most reliable guns ever made - it's probably not worth selling. Use it as a car gun.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    The Makarov is suppose to be one of the most reliable guns ever made - it's probably not worth selling. Use it as a car gun.
    Right...use it as a car gun. So, some low down cretin can break into your vehicle steal it.

Grrrrrrr.

Buy a good CC holster and CARRY your Makarov to your car and carry it back home.

New Member Array mickeydonofrio's Avatar

Carry holster for Makarov

I love and carry my mak regularly. I carry it IWB appendix position and find it very comfortable and accessible. I bought a great Kydex holster from gamefaceholsters.com .I am very happy with the fit and finish of the holster. Service was excellent and the price is very reasonable. Carry your Mak.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I remember the good old days of $199 Maks that came with a duty holster and extra mag. I hate that I didn't pick up three or so back when they were priced at such a bargain. They really are a beautiful little weapon.

I use DC forums a lot for similar research but this is my first post. In fact when I bough by first pistol in '04-'05, it was a Makarov and I got some good data points from this fine group of folks.

That being said, my Mak is one of my favorite pistols and I carry it very often (can't carry everyday unfortunately due to base restrictions). I'm military and I shoot it just as well as my M9 (better sometimes I think). I use a Spec Ops brand riggers belt and I have an awesome custom holster from Eric Larsen at HBE Specialty Leatherworks. His work I phenomenal and I had originally wanted the holster for a Kahr CW40. However, when I told Eric about it and my Mak, he said that was one of the few gun combos he could make a holster that would fit both. Amazing!!! I've since gotten rid of the Kahr (trigger and I never got along very well) but still carry the Mak in it- fits like a glove and tough/strong but so comfortable I almost forget its there. I wear it at about the 1630-1700 (4:30-5:00) position and it just disappears. I've also got a Bersa BP9CC on layaway after testing it in the same holster (apparently almost identical to the Kahr in size). Eric's work was about a buck-twenty before shipping if I remember right which was more than reasonable with the shark-skin reinforcement panel. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363929941.722210.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363929953.342004.jpg
    The Mak also has been wearing an awesome set of Marschal grips from Budapest, Hungary for the past 6-7 years. They're CNC machined from a wood called Wattle which I'd never heard of before I bought them but the finish gives the wood look a dark luminescent blonde color (darker than in the pics). The fit and finish of the grips is near perfect and is heads and shoulders above the stock grips or any others I've tried. They fit my hand like they were made for me and they make the Mak just that much better to shoot. Best if all, they're not very pricey (check 'me out if interested. http://www.marschalgrips.com/?content=Makarov-models

Apologies for the rambles and no, neither Eric nor Marschal grips paid for any of that-just passing along some quality craftsmen. Hope it helps somebody.
    Attached Images

before the market got flooded with small lite weight pocket i carried a polish p64 when i was off duty. the p64 is one great gun. never given me any problems. love steel case ammo. was cheap to buy. the p64 is a polish copy of the ppk in 9mm mak caliber. so it does not matter what you carry, just as long that you carry something. don't let others talk you out of carrying any gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

(QUOTE) "Right...use it as a car gun. So, some low down cretin can break into your vehicle steal it.....Grrrrrrr."

I dont know where he lives, but in Missouri most of my friends always keep a loaded handgun in their car -- usually in center console or glove box. It is 100% legal for any non-felon to have a loaded handgun in their auto in Missouri; no permit required. No one that I know has ever had one stolen from their parked car. My current "car gun" is a CZ-82 in 9mm Makarov. One friend keeps an S&W Model 64, another has a pitted old .38 Colt Detective Special.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't.

Likewise one can keep a concealed firearm in a private vehicle in FL w/o a permit, but I wouldn't suggest leaving it unsecured it as there are far too many vehicle thiefs here. It's not uncommon for there in be 20-30 car burgluries overnight in a small area, primarily of those who fail to lock doors. Youths simply go down the street checking doors and enter those that open.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links