anyone carrying a makarov?

This is a discussion on anyone carrying a makarov? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, i just registered on the site, and i must say i'm very impressed with the people and content here. i'm new to cc, i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: anyone carrying a makarov?

anyone carrying a makarov?

Hi, i just registered on the site, and i must say i'm very impressed with the people and content here. i'm new to cc, i just received my permit this fall. i currently have a makarov that i'm using with a small of the back holster. i was wondering what other style of holster would be good for me, and what ammo you would recommend? i'm 5'9" and 220lbs, so i have a belly that seems to be in the way with some holsters i've tried:).

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to DC! It's a wonderful place.

As for the Makarov, there's nothing wrong with it, but you can get smaller, thinner, lighter 9mm's that will be a much easier carry and a better round on top of that.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with a Mak, but it would not be my first choice.
    kahrcarrier likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

While I don't carry a Makarov, I do on occasion carry a CZ82 chambered in 9mm Makarov. My defensive loads for it are Hornady Custom 9X18 MAK with the 95 gr XTP bullets.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 9X18 Mak :: 9 x 18mm Makarov 95 gr XTP®
    LoneWolf26 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry mine to the range all the time but it is a bit heavy and the mag release is the pits

I carry one occasionally..tried SOB, and didnt like it..retention,comfort,draw issues..carry it in a cheap leather Triple K IWB between 4 and 5 (deep)camo'd with a leatherman holster...not my first choice because I dont have a good holster for it, it is uncomfortable...(and I will not spend the money for a good one) the wife keeps it in her purse/sling bag...it is the most finely accurate pistol we own...keep Corbon warheads in it for carry...worked a little on the trigger with the dremel..and the hammer spring...Welcome CHEEZY
    Last edited by CaptSmith; January 8th, 2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spell

I carry one all the time, and it was my primary yesterday.

I carry in both a Don Hume JIT slide and a Falco OWB holster.

The Falco used to be sold on Makarov.com, but now the guy has an online store through Amazon.com. The Falco isn't some great custom holster made of top-grade leather, but it works well enough for its intended use. More importantly, it fits (and is actually intended to fit) the Makarov. The downside is that for just a little more cash, I could have bought a custom holster. I wish I had known at the time.

I'll add my 2 cents and say that while these holsters are better than some nylon bag from Uncle Mike's, they are far from being in the same league as a nice, custom holster. For the money I spent on these, I could have easily bought a custom holster. There are highly-regarded holster makers right here on this forum, and I'm definitely going to check them out for my next holster. It took me a long time to find out that a drawer full of inexpensive holsters costs more than a few custom ones that are in a totally different league. (steps off soap box)

I carry OWB at 3:30-4:00, and my next holster will be an OWB "pancake" worn at the same position.

Mak1.jpg Mak2.jpg Mak3.jpg
    Last edited by lowercase; January 8th, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Pics added

I carry one had two re-finished at Robar they are so accurate, shoot very well with little recoil. I have a Cross Breed mini tuck and a IWB super tuk delux. I started making my won kydex holsters. Not so hard actually rather easy.

I load it with Hornady Critical Defense rounds practice ammo is dirt cheap and allows allot of practice.

The Czech models are really good bargains and if you can inspect before purchase you can get a really nice reliable handgun for a great price.

Not a 9 but more than a 380. So close ot the 9 good ammo should yield close to 9 results. If nothing else using this gun to hone your skills at low cost ammo prices is worth having one.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The Makarov is one of the most reliable semi-auto designs ever made. This simple blow-back pistol has only 27 total parts. As we all know modern polymer framed compact handguns are much lighter and easier to carry but the Mak is a fine pistol and you are well armed with it. As archer61 stated above the Hornady 95g XTP is a fine carry ammo option. Russian steel cased HP by Wolf, Silver Bear and Brown Bear will also work well since the Makarov was designed around Steel cased ammo. Most holsters for the PP series Walthers or the CZ82 will work with the Mak. A good strong supportive belt and holster is the key with these all steel handguns.

Here are some inexpensive Mak holster options
    Makarov Holster: SportingGoods: makarov holster

Jaeger likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    The Czech models are really good bargains and if you can inspect before purchase you can get a really nice reliable handgun for a great price.
    I am assuming you are talking about the Czech CZ82 not the Makarov? Many people and dealers mistake other guns chambered for the 9x18 Makarov round to be a Makarov pistol when in fact they are another handgun entirely like the CZ82, Polish P64 and P-83 or FEG PA63.

These handguns are chambered for the 9mm Makarov (9x18) but are not Makarov pistols

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

OP - No comment on the Mak, but I would suggest you consider carrying somewhere other than small-of-back. If you fall (or get pushed) onto your back, you risk a spine injury by landing on a hard metal object.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Thanks for the help everyone. i was looking around tonight and found a Don Hume slide holster that looks like it may do the trick. also, i found a fobus kydex pancake holster that i may try. my mak is unusual, as it is the Chinese Norinco model 59. i've had it for many yrs now as a hd gun. my wife can shoot it quite well. i was thinking about replacing the mak with an lcp or a smith airweight, maybe a bersa 380cc, but now i'm thinking i should just invest in a good holster and belt.

its fine but i wouldnt recommend small of back carry. if u fall backwards there's little protecting ur spine from that piece of steel ur holding. js
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

I sometimes carry a Hungarian PA-63 which uses the 9mm Makarov ammo. I have a strong side IWB holster I wear right behind my hip bone. My Pa-63 is very reliable with the fmj Wolf ammo that I prefer.

gold40

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    I sometimes carry a Hungarian PA-63 which uses the 9mm Makarov ammo. I have a strong side IWB holster I wear right behind my hip bone. My Pa-63 is very reliable with the fmj Wolf ammo that I prefer.

gold40
    I carry the same gun the same way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links