Carry Sights?

This is a discussion on Carry Sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry a pistol with non-traditional sights? By that I mean lasers or holosights. Is there any merit to these devices? Thanks 45...

Thread: Carry Sights?

Question Carry Sights?

Does anyone carry a pistol with non-traditional sights? By that I mean lasers or holosights. Is there any merit to these devices?

Thanks 45
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Well the holosights are very hard to conceal, I'm assuning your talking about something like an EOTech???

Crimson trace lasers are pretty good especially for point shooting and and the over all mental advantage of an attacker, that little red dot on thier crotch maked them think twice. I prefer the Crimson Trcae over the LaserMax due to ease of use, the Crimson Trace grips are easier to install and easier to activiate.

What does an attacker look at?

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Crimson trace lasers are pretty good especially for point shooting and and the over all mental advantage of an attacker, that little red dot on thier crotch makes them think twice.
    I would think that an attacker would be looking intently at his victim, rather than his own crotch.

do a search for laser sights....there are pleennttttyyy of threads out there that talk about these in detail. That is where you will find out good info and the merit of them.
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

Kelly Mcann (sp?) has reporetedly been running a function-test on the Docter/JP micro-holosight set. Overall, he seems to feel they are top-notch. Battery-save mode has allowed one user to keep running the same set of batts for roughly 5 years, now. Pricey, but again, reported to be exceedingly fast on-target and durable.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I had a set of Crimson Trace lasergrips on my 1911 for about a week and got rid of them. To me you can grow too dependent on the laser and forget the basics. They may be OK for "special" uses but I now use Heinie Straight 8 tritiums and will never go back to a laser.

Assistant Administrator
    I have CT's on several guns - and do not find I place too great a reliance on them at all. If I go for a std presentation and ''happen'' to see the dot, all well and good - it is a big bonus. I do not however raise the gun normally trying to aquire the dot as priority. CT's must only be an adjunct but IMO a darned handy one.

I have night sights on my EDC 226 and 228. These are good to have but rarely noticeable as I do not shoot much in real low light often - just an annual IDPA night shoot where I do ''play'' with the CT's
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Regarding laser sights, I don't have them on my pistols, but my wife does on her S&W 642.

Given I had a gun with laser sights, if I drew in a self-defense situation and saw that dot on the bad guy, that's all the better and likely faster/easier than trying to acquire the traditional sight picture. I don't care if it's "non-traditional" or if I "forget the basics" at a time like that, so long as it gets the job done.

I'll agree with P95's post in that they are subordinate to traditional sighting, but when things are happening fast and up-close-and-personal, they could be what saves my bacon!
    Last edited by JimmyC4; August 21st, 2006 at 01:59 PM.

Just sold my Crimson Trace laser sights on Ebay. Just couldn't get the hang of them. I also disposed of a Glock 23 .40 S&W with aperture night sights. The point of aim vs. point of impact was totally different from my 1911's. Don't know if it was the Combat Tupperware or the aperture sights, but too much difference for me.
    Pershing SIR!!

Links