4'' 1911 or glock for main carry gun.

This is a discussion on 4'' 1911 or glock for main carry gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMO only you can decide it. I like 1911s and I carry one; I never carry the Glock....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 4'' 1911 or glock for main carry gun.

GM
    IMO only you can decide it. I like 1911s and I carry one; I never carry the Glock.
    Troll1 likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    1911's are fantastic firearms, but I much prefer a Glock for carry. They're lighter, no manual safety, higher capacity, easier operation and mostly..... more affordable. If you use your firearm, it's likely going to be confiscated. I'd rather my $500 Glock be taken than a $1000+ 1911. I guess that's easy for me to say since I prefer a Glock over a 1911. For somebody who prefers 1911's over Glock's that may not matter to them. I own a 1911 and I love it, but it's nothing more than a range toy.

I personally prefer the 1911 over the glock, I have 3- 1911s,one being a RIA, and two glocks. But when you throw the lower end 1911 into the equasion, I think I would go with the glock, and I am looking into another Glock myself, thinking one of the smaller glocks might not be bad, one thing for sure, I have never pulled the trigger on a glock and not got a bang or had a follow up bang, never had a malfunction period, so my vote reluctantly goes to the Glock, and if your wanting a 1911 to play with, per say, the RIA has been an exceptional weapon for me so far, thats with around 400 rounds with no hiccups. Am i contradiciting myself here, lol ......
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I have both..a Glock 19 and a recently purchased Sig Scorpion Carry. I am partial to 1911's, I feel I shoot them better and feel better to me. However my Glock 19 is smaller,lighter and easier to conceal then my Scorpion Carry. Last year I purchased a Kimber Ultra Carry,,I ended up selling it to buy my wife a Macbook. I wish I hadn't, it really was the best of both worlds, but went with the Sig when I got more $, to try something different and because I liked the look.

OK so which model glock to go with in a 9mm something bigger than my xd9sc

So....being a 1911 guy for almost 40 years I find myself not comfortable with the striker fire trigger system. Much rather rely on the thumb safety and long trigger I'm used to.

I have also decided to go back to the 1911 platform. I put my H&K USP Compact 45 back in the safe and have been carrying my Para Ordnance P12-45 Limited.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

It looks like you're leaning towards Glock. Ya can't go wrong with a 19. It's just about the perfect Glock for size and caliber. It is considered a compact 9mm, even though it is large enough to use as a duty weapon.

I have numerous Glocks, but my first (and one of my favorites) is a Gen 2 19.
    jlis914 and Fitch like this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

^ What NR27 said. I'd seriously consider a Glock Model 19 if I were to only have 1 Glock or as my first Glock.
    Fitch likes this.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

Thanks guys ill check out the 19.

Obviously, as others have pointed out, it is a personal preference thing. Its no secret that I really hate the 1911 style guns. I think they are too large, overpriced, and ugly. On top of that, a Glock will hold at least 50% more ammo in a smaller package.

My best analogy is that a 1911 is sort of like a big jacked up monster truck. They may look cool, but they don't carry much, and sure are hard to park. They just aren't practical for daily use.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I carried a concealed FNP45 daily for 2 years. Then I started reading about the American Classic 1911s and figured I might get back to the 1911 platform for
    carry again. When I finally saw one in person (the commander model), I was immediately impressed with the fit and finish along with the smooth operation of
    the gun. That was all it took. It took me about 10 minutes to re-adjust to the 1911 and even less time to realize how much more comfortable it is to carry. I am also way more accurate with it than I was with the FN.. it fits my hand much better as well.
    At least check out the AC before you decide, I think you'll be surprised.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Why not look onto the Dan Wesson CCO? You already love the best pistol design ever produced so stick with it. I have the CCO and love it. Reliable to date and carried daily. 4.25" bbl with officer sized frame.

Oh yeah..7+1 rounds of .45acp. Anyone saying 8 rounds isn't enough and you should get a Glock because of that is full of it.

I'll add: I carried a G29 for a long time IWB. Got the CCO and strapped it on. I cannot describe how much thinner and more comfortable it was to switch. Lighter as well.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I grew up with 1911's in MI in the fifties. When we retired and moved from CA to PA, my first gun was a Gen 3 Glock 19 in 2005. Several years later I don't think I could have made a better choice. I've carried it a lot since, carrying it as I type this in fact. I've entered Action Pistol and IDPA matches with it, put thousands of rounds thorugh it for practice, and generally used it. It has a rail which I put a light on every night when it goes in the night stand drawer.

Somebody said they had to send one to a Gunsmith which mystifys me. The gun is so simple to disassemble and reassemble, with parts available almost in vending machines they are so common, I can't imagine a problem I couldn't fix myself. Mine has been almost as reliable as gravity. I've never had a problem that was the gun's fault.

I went through several other guns and ended up with a Glock 26 for those times when the grip of the 19 printed too much, and LCP and a P238 for the times I couldn't hide the 26.

So I'd say, get the Glock. It's a really good self defense handgun, at least in the contest for the best available at any price.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by DW1911fan View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but here it goes. I mostly carry an xd9sc. When i want to mix it up ill carry my Dan Wesson 5'' 1911. I love 1911 and have been looking at the 4 and 3 inch models in the ria and the American classic. I want a lesser gun than the Dan Wesson to carry all the time. But needs to be 100% reliable. Or get a glock in 9mm I will buy both eventually but which one should I buy first sense it will be about six months until I by the other.

So when it comes down to it the question is would you trust your life on these budget 1911s or would you rather carry a glock?
    If you're buying both guns within a year what difference does it make which you get first?

Far as which is more reliable well you're not comparing two manufacturer's, but one manufacturer with a different type of handgun made by multiple manufacturer's. To get an answer you'd have to pick a 1911 manufacturer and compare that to a Glock 9mm for accurate feedback.

So, the answer to what you did ask is: Unknown.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links