4'' 1911 or glock for main carry gun.

This is a discussion on 4'' 1911 or glock for main carry gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; draw, point, shoot. Glock....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 4'' 1911 or glock for main carry gun.

draw, point, shoot. Glock.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

2. Remove Ads

For concealed carry, I'd take the glock any day of the week. As reliable as any semi auto you'll come across, and definitely more reliable than most of the smaller 1911's as they are notorious for having reliability issues.

The "mix it up" is something I've stayed away from mainly. This may be personal preference, or on a whim. I'm familiar with many platforms....I grew up with many of them on my way to where I want to be. I never truly thought about carrying a 4 inch 1911. 1911 is burned into my mind just like the same day as issued. Know it like the back of my hand. Better survival tool I did seek. Glock was created and I found home in combat handguns. If you ever feel the need to ask which gun for something, then you're still in the growing stages of finding what works best for you. Call it an ERA of sorts....an ERA of reckoning. Once you find your way, less questions and more answers. Keep looking for anything 100% reliable and you'll end up eating your own tail. Give it your best and hope to narrow things down to 95% or less and be happy you got the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I'd rather carry a Glock. 1911's are pretty, and they do have their followers, but in my personal opinion, Glocks are more reliable.
    I love my 1911's and do carry one often... but I'll second tkruf here, especially since you already have a nice 1911. I'd go G19 or G26 all day.

I'll vote for the 4-inch 1911 even though I like the original 5-inch length better. I must be the only person who doesn't consider light weight an advantage.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have both, two 1911 a kmber and a para ordanance, and my EDC is a Glock 23, spend your money on the Para gi expert less than 600 has never had a failure and IMHO much better than the kimber only because of the sights, side by side you can't tell them apart and i prefer the 3 dot sights on the Para keep carrying your springfield.. save your money for a good 1911
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I have 5 1911's and love the platform. I have an officers ACP sized para LDA. I owned a kimber ultra carry II in stainless and aluminum. That gun had feeding and ejection problems. I sent it back to kimber twice. I did not trust it so I traded it in on another toy. Do not waste your money on a cheap turkish or Phillipine 1911. You said you were going to buy both anyway. Just wait and save up for something nicer. Or buy a Glock 26 or 19 and never look back.

I'm going to show my ignorance here! What exactly is a 1911? Is it any .45 pistol? A specific model? I'm new to pistols, but I'm here to learn.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I took my Glock 26 to the range to do some long overdue practice. I took 3 previously used IDPA targets - I try to make the targets last at least 100 rounds and keep them useful by putting little square stickers over the holes. Anyway, with the 26 still in the VM-II on my hip under my sweatshirt I stapled the targets to 1"x2", stuck them in the stand and then did what i always do next - shoot the two rounds that have been rechambered the most since the last trip to the range (the one in the chamber and the top one in the magazine). I put my timer on my belt, stood 7 yards from the target, punched the green button on the timer, and when, after the delay, it went "beep" I pulled my 26 from it's concealed carry position and fired a double tap at the target. From beep to done was 2.3 seconds, the ammo was 2 shots of 115g COR-BON DPX +P, this is the target:

That's why I like my Glock 26! It may be a polymer plain wrap inexpensive pistol, but it's reliable as gravity and it works well for me with this ammo, and my handloads of the same MV.

Actually, I like it for carry better than my 19 (I like the 19 a lot) because 9 out of 10 double taps I shoot with this ammo in the 26 look very much like this. The 10th pair will have the shots 3" or 4" apart, and usually a slightly longer split time. The best pairs have splits around 1/4 second, the bigger ones have splits just over 1/3 second. As the stickers show, over time I tend to shoot a bit to the left of center with this gun, but I seldom miss the target completey.

FWIW: I always practice with the timer, always drawing from concealment, and time and score the results. I put up 3 targets at different heights so I can get multiple target practice as well. I also practice shooting while moving with about half the shots at each session, though I don't run like in the videos of the excellent practice one of our forum members does. But I do move. (This pair was standing still.)

I realize 2.3 seconds is slow, but for a 70 year old who hasn't been to the range in 6 weeks, drawing a G26 from concealment (wearing a jacket and sweatshirt over the gun) it will just have to do.

Fitch
    Philly Boy likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I've carried Glocks & 1911's & I much prefer a 1911.

However I most certainly would carry a Glock over any budget 1911.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    I'm going to show my ignorance here! What exactly is a 1911? Is it any .45 pistol? A specific model? I'm new to pistols, but I'm here to learn.
    Google Browning 1911, or Colt 1911. You will get more than a bazillion hits. Bottom line it's the John Browning semi-auto pistol designed 100 years ago. It was the standard US Military sidearm for decades, then replaced for reasons most (including me) can't understand.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Personally, for CCW less weight wins. I carry my Glock 19, even at the range when I'm shooting my 1911.

I have both ,,,, use
    my Glocks more for CC,,,,

I carry a Wilson Compact but have tried many Glocks and 1911s. The least expensive 1911 that I tried that was awesome right out of the box was a S&W Commander sized piece. Scandium frame. I recommended one to my best friend's son. He bought it and has never had a failure. S&W customer service can't be beat either ! Having said that, a Glock can't be beaten for reliability. Once you master the trigger and the grip angle you're good to go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links