4'' 1911 or glock for main carry gun.

This is a discussion on 4'' 1911 or glock for main carry gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure this has been discussed before but here it goes. I mostly carry an xd9sc. When i want to mix it up ill carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 4'' 1911 or glock for main carry gun.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but here it goes. I mostly carry an xd9sc. When i want to mix it up ill carry my Dan Wesson 5'' 1911. I love 1911 and have been looking at the 4 and 3 inch models in the ria and the American classic. I want a lesser gun than the Dan Wesson to carry all the time. But needs to be 100% reliable. Or get a glock in 9mm I will buy both eventually but which one should I buy first sense it will be about six months until I by the other.

So when it comes down to it the question is would you trust your life on these budget 1911s or would you rather carry a glock?

I'd rather carry a Glock. 1911's are pretty, and they do have their followers, but in my personal opinion, Glocks are more reliable.
    kmagnuss and Philly Boy like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Try to convince a Chevy guy to buy a Ford or vice-versa. It probably isn't gonna happen. Those devoted 1911 lovers won't be sold on anything else. Likewise for the Glockadites. Figure out your particular desires in a carry gun and go from there. If steel, thin lower capacity handguns suit your desires, go 1911. If lighter, higher capacity, almost always sure to go bang does, look at Glock. I carry a Glock, but I'd sure like to own a 1911--just not for carry.
    tkruf and Philly Boy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'm a 1911 guy and Glocks feel like blocks in my hands so I will never buy one. IF it was simply 1911 or Glock I'd say 1911. But you were specific in the brands of 1911's so...of the 3 options you gave for defending your life I'd say Glock.

Since I actually answered your question I'll now be the first to throw out the "You should buy xxxx!" comment. For lower cost 1911's you should at least look at the Sig Sauers.

Senior Moderator
    It's not a matter of reliability; both are extremely reliable unless you get a 1911 shorter than 4".

I like both. I have both. The thing about the 1911 is it's size and even moreso it's weight. I know a lot of guys carry them comfortably and with the right rig, etc., etc. But I just recently read an article by a die-hard 1911 man that said as he got older the weight is beginning to cause problems and he switched, recluctantly, and sadly, to a Glock.

I can't help but wonder if there's an acculative affect of carrying 3 lbs on one hip for long periods of time for years and years. Of course my answer to weight was to get the Al alloy frames. That helps but it's still not as light as a Glock. But then what is as light as a Glock?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    I'm a 1911 guy and Glocks feel like blocks in my hands so I will never buy one. IF it was simply 1911 or Glock I'd say 1911. But you were specific in the brands of 1911's so...of the 3 options you gave for defending your life I'd say Glock.

Since I actually answered your question I'll now be the first to throw out the "You should buy xxxx!" comment. For lower cost 1911's you should at least look at the Sig Sauers.
    Well said, I'm a hard core 1911 guy and my EDC is a Springfield Pro. However I'd NEVER trust my life to a cheaply made 1911, I have to vote glock ..........

.......... but I'd have to give it a grip reduction and some trigger work.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'm a Glock guy who also has a Sig and wants a 1911. I'm researching the lower end 1911's. I would say get the Glock, then the 1911. If you dont like the Glock, you can sell it and spend a little more on the smaller 1911. I know the Glock will go bang every time, so I would start there first.

Good luck on your search.

Given your stated options, I'd have to say to go Glock. But, I also have to ask, what is wrong with the xd9sc that you said you mostly carry? I am very pro Glock, but there sure isn't anything wrong with an xd9sc.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Depends if you prefer a steel gun cocked and locked, or a polymer subcompact with a pull closer to DA. Different strokes for different folks!

I carry a Colt Defender rather than my full size 1911.
    JerryMac likes this.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the input guys. And docglock there is nothing wrong with the xd. I just wanted a full size polymer gun. I would go with another xd but they are top heavy and bulkier than the glocks. And I like to have a well rounded collection. I do carry the full size 1911 comfortably and like the thinner profile. But if knowone here has confidence in there lower end 1911s then I might as well buy the glock first.

I'd get a Glock, but I already carry a Glock. If I didn't carry a Glock, I'd look seriously at a Walther PPQ. The slide on the PPQ is a bit more refined than Glock slides. Heck, I may sell my CZ and look seriously at a PPQ even though I do carry a Glock.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DW1911fan View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but here it goes. I mostly carry an xd9sc. When i want to mix it up ill carry my Dan Wesson 5'' 1911. I love 1911 and have been looking at the 4 and 3 inch models in the ria and the American classic. I want a lesser gun than the Dan Wesson to carry all the time. But needs to be 100% reliable. Or get a glock in 9mm I will buy both eventually but which one should I buy first sense it will be about six months until I by the other.

So when it comes down to it the question is would you trust your life on these budget 1911s or would you rather carry a glock?
    I switched from a Kimber Ultra Carry II to a Glock 19 awhile ago for my edc, and have been very happy with that decision. Since then, I have added a Glock 17. The lack of external safeties and beaver tail, added ammo capacity, 100% shooting reliability, and simplicity of detail stripping all combine to make the Glock my favorite carry.
    JerryMac and Philly Boy like this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    My wife carries a G27 and it's a great weapon (though it is the only gun in my small collection ever in need of a gunsmith). I prefer my Kimber 1911's Crimson Pro Carry II and my ccw an Ultra Covert II.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    I have been carrying a Springfield EMP quite a bit lately. Don't miss Glock a bit. If I want something super light I go with my M&P's. To each his own.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links