Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm?

This is a discussion on Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To say a hornady CD 380 is better than a any minmum Hp 9mm is just stupid. Plus how a pistol feels fireing in the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm?

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    To say a hornady CD 380 is better than a any minmum Hp 9mm is just stupid. Plus how a pistol feels fireing in the hand is all to do with the design of the firearm when caliber and power level is the same and no 380 matchs a 9mm.

The Bersa BR9cc , LOOK at the specs and compare. It may work fine but if your wanting a 9mm CC handgun It is not as light, it is not as thin, it is not size wise as small as many compacts or and for its size and its capacity is lacking to some handguns. its just a heavier and larger choice ,nothing special.
    suntzu and TN_Mike like this.

2. Remove Ads

I'd submit that a .380 today, due to ammunition technological advances has improved stopping power over the .380 of say 20 years ago, possibly to such an extent that it equals the 9mm round of that day. But, the same advances that improve the .380 have also been applied to the 9mm. If both are loaded with modern quality ammo, the 9mm wins hands down. it's just not as big a gap as it used to be, and both are a long way from where they were 20 years ago.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    To say a hornady CD 380 is better than a any minmum Hp 9mm is just stupid. Plus how a pistol feels fireing in the hand is all to do with the design of the firearm when caliber and power level is the same and no 380 matchs a 9mm.

The Bersa BR9cc , LOOK at the specs and compare. It may work fine but if your wanting a 9mm CC handgun It is not as light, it is not as thin, it is not size wise as small as many compacts or and for its size and its capacity is lacking to some handguns. its just a heavier and larger choice ,nothing special.
    BP 9CC is just a tad bigger than the Kahr CW9 and the same width. What the specs on the BP do not show is that the BP has an incredibly short and fast trigger reset unlike anything in its class offered by any other manufacturer in the small slim 9 category. In rapid fire, this pistol will have no equal in the single stack nine class.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

May be to you 4oz is not muck but that makes your bersa heavier than many glocks and the kahr with mag is under 18oz. and from these pictures shorter. call it what you wish its not something special. In your foeds the short triggerpull can cause folks to pull the trigger before they entend to but I do figure the trigger is no better realy. At least the one at alocal shop is short enough but not lighter and not as smooth. Typical plsatic guntrigger. It depends problably more on what you like. I caaried a revolver for 20 years I know i can smoothly and quickly work a kahr trigger. If I want a pistol the size and weight of this bersa and I do like the bersa line in general as I bought my daughter one I would buy a XDsub compact as it is the weight class at 20.5oz and size with a 13 round capasity.

May be to you 4oz is not muck but that makes your bersa heavier than many glocks and the kahr with mag is under 18oz. and from these pictures shorter. call it what you wish its not something special. In your foeds the short triggerpull can cause folks to pull the trigger before they entend to but I do figure the trigger is no better realy. At least the one at alocal shop is short enough but not lighter and not as smooth. Typical plsatic guntrigger. It depends problably more on what you like. I caaried a revolver for 20 years I know i can smoothly and quickly work a kahr trigger. If I want a pistol the size and weight of this bersa and I do like the bersa line in general as I bought my daughter one I would buy a XDsub compact as it is the weight class at 20.5oz and size with a 13 round capasity.
    XD SC 9mm is 27 oz unloaded. I have two. In the hand, a loaded BP feels no heavier that a loaded Kahr CW9.....but if you actually owned one, you would know that. Having shot over 150 handguns over the last twenty years, its my opinion that the Bersa BP is special. While the trigger is a bit gritty, it shoots beautifully. The fact that I like the gun has absolutely no bearing on your day, so please don't come here and throw sand on my opinion. BTW, you bought your daughter a lead weight for CCW.....about 33 oz loaded. Did I mention I have two?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My .02 cents is....if your gonna get the taurus, get the stainless multialloy. You will fall in love.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

If you're looking for a ultra small 9mm with a reasonable price tag, you really should give the CM9 a look. I have five Kahrs and this little CM9 is worth it's weight in gold IMO. It has been flawless through four hundred rounds and is as accurate as any of it's more expensive bigger brothers.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

zonker The bersa thunder 380 weights 21oz, read here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bersa_Thunder_380d- . And That is the the pistol she wanted after shooting 5 different pistols. I just payed for it. I should have types the M&P9mm compact as it does way 21oz as I have that and also had a xdsc. So just a typo. And the kahr cw is a lighter pistol by 4oz than your bersa and the cm9 is 2 more oz lighter. You so highly favor your bersa you can't feel the difference thats cause you don't want to. So if someone wants a low cost and light weight 9mm the Kt pf-9 does fine . If you want a better quality but still light 9mm kahr can cover that with several models. If you want a 21oz 9mm there are a few to pick from with your dear to your heart bersa only one of them. Now you be real proud of your new bersa but don't pump it up as the latest and greatest as like so many it just another choice out there. Apparently when you said the 380 bersa thunder is 33oz you had a little momment too or had a typo.

zonker The bersa thunder 380 weights 21oz, read here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bersa_Thunder_380d- . And That is the the pistol she wanted after shooting 5 different pistols. I just payed for it. I should have types the M&P9mm compact as it does way 21oz as I have that and also had a xdsc. So just a typo. And the kahr cw is a lighter pistol by 4oz than your bersa and the cm9 is 2 more oz lighter. You so highly favor your bersa you can't feel the difference thats cause you don't want to. So if someone wants a low cost and light weight 9mm the Kt pf-9 does fine . If you want a better quality but still light 9mm kahr can cover that with several models. If you want a 21oz 9mm there are a few to pick from with your dear to your heart bersa only one of them. Now you be real proud of your new bersa but don't pump it up as the latest and greatest as like so many it just another choice out there. Apparently when you said the 380 bersa thunder is 33oz you had a little momment too or had a typo.

my opinion of a pistol should have no bearing on you if its not your cup of tea. I own quite a few pistols including Kahrs, PF-9's, Glocks and Bersas, and I do think the BP is a great new addition to the single stack 9mm market. I'm not pumping anything as the latest and greeatest, but just giving my opinion. My opinion is based on 20 years of shooting, selling guns in a gun store, shooting IDPA and IPSC and owning a "few" pistols of my own. Great feel, great trigger, great shooter. Yes, there are a lot of great choices out there in the CCW market. Bersa BP 9cc is one of them.

And the 380 bersa thunder ain't a 33 oz pistol as you said ether. This is my 43rd year of shooting and hunting and 26 CC'n for me.
    Last edited by hardluk1; January 11th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

And the 380 bersa thunder ain't a 33 oz pistol as you said ether. This year 43 of shooting and hunting and 26 CC'n for me.
    yep. I was having hard time following your post....thought you said you bought your daughter an XD SC which is a heavy little pistol for carry. Agree the BT .380 is about 20 oz and a good little carry gun.
    I originally had the Bersa Model 83 that had the wood grips and the really nice blue finish. Ended up with two Bersa Thunder .380 Plus models with 15 round mags. Only got them because I longed for the Model 86 years ago that was a double stack mag before the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban took effect. When Bersa re-introduced the high cap models I jumped on them. Not really sure why I still have them as I don't ever carry a .380. They are cool little pistols. I gave my step daughter and her husband my two regular Thunder .380's when they got their Florida CCW. Tried to talk them into taking a couple of my 9mm's, but like your daughter, they fell in love the the little Bersa. Glad my Thunder .380's got a good home.

I got so confused reading the different posts here that I had to go back and read the original post.

Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm?
    My opinion is "No." Although I don't own a Bersa, from what I've read and heard, there's no doubt it's a fine gun. Likewise, the 380 is a fine SD round in it's own way. No, it's not better than a 9 mm, but it's better than a lot of lesser rounds. For me, the 380 is best used as a pocket gun. If I want to carry something on my belt, I'll get a more substantial round, starting at 9 mm. The only pluses a 380 Bersa has over a 9 mm when carried on the belt is decreased recoil. But, the decreased recoil comes at the expense of increased weight. I like my Kel-Tec 380, but only as a pocket gun.

To answer the original question, for the price get the Bersa then decide if you want something else. The Thunder 380 is a heck of a gun.

Shoot that for a while and look at other options. The CM9 is worth looking at if only due to its size relationship to the others. My wife and I were both considering the CM9 until we researched them and actually shot them. She wound up with a Ruger LC9 which feels very similar to the Bersa for $100 more than the Bersa (which she already has) and ~$250 less than the CM9.

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 but I carry a Kahr CW9 or CM9 daily. The Bersa is a very, nice very reliable little pistol.
    I prefer the width, weight and power of the little Kahrs.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Zonker's just mad because I bought mine first :)

Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links