Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm? - Page 3

Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm?

This is a discussion on Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jbabbler Zonker's just mad because I bought mine first :) True....but mine is purdier....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabbler View Post
    Zonker's just mad because I bought mine first :)

True....but mine is purdier.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Maybe I didn't spend enough time thinking my question through.

Why should I choose the Bersa Thunder .380 over a 9mm that can be roughly the same size? As I stated originally, I owned and shot the Kel-Tec PF9. Loathed the recoil. And it wasn't even defensive ammunition. If I don't like the way a gun feels or shoots, i'm not going to practice with it. Period. The only exception to this rule would be a true pocket gun, such as the LCP. But, then again, I don't believe i'd be much of a pocket carry kind of individual. I don't even like keys in my pocket.

The reason why i'm considering the Bersa, which is in a smaller caliber and close to the size of a similar 9mm single-stack, is based mainly on accuracy. Shot placement over shot size. I know, I need to go and rent one and fire it for the first-hand experience but it has not been feasible with my ten-fourteen rotation at work. It should slack soon and I will be able to go. Besides, the closest rental is sixty miles away and my only day off is Sunday.

My firearms in perceived preference based solely on research, and firing a 9mm out of a light weight gun.

S&W 3913
    Taurus 85, Non-Ultralight
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Kahr CW9 - My brother owned this firearm several years ago and, while the recoil wasn't bad, I didn't like the trigger but that was before I learned DAO.
    Sig Sauer P238
    Walther PPS 9mm

Not really my 'definitive' list, but it's close. And aside from the 3913 being my top choice, the rest are in no particular order. As you can tell, i'd rather have the weight to handle recoil and follow up. I do not mind the weight at all. A good belt and holster suffice.

bersa 380

i had a bersa 380 nice gun. was in the shop alot springs breaking all the time but has good warranty i guess i shot it too much lol traded it for a ruger lcp 380 love it cary it all the time so light . 90 %of all gun fights are within 10 yards or less. over that should not be life threatening so you can just run away. so it does not mater what you use 22,38,380,9,40 45 you get what fell right for you. large calibers are nice if you can afford the rounds and range to practice. lets see what you do if you get hit with 6- 380 hollow points rounds im sure your wont say is that all you got. lol John Hinkly jr. shot J Brady,T Mcarthy,T Delanty, and R Reagan with a 22
    i bet they didnt say im good it was just a .22. big is not all ways beter. good luck with your search.

Iíve got a SIG 230 in .380 thatís about the same size as the Bersa Thunder. I also now have a Walther PPS-9, which is actually slightly smaller than the SIG 230. The PPS is very close to the same size as the Walther PPK. It weighs 19.1 ounces unloaded, so probably about 24 ounces loaded and in my MTAC Minotaur conceals very well due to the thinness and variable grip height (different length magazines). I find the recoil very manageable, and I like the trigger more than my friends Kahr CW9.

Thereís no question in my mind that Iíd rather carry a 9mm over a .380 especially when theyíre of similar size/weight. My SIG 230 now resides in my gunsafe and the PPS is my main carry pistol.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Why should you chose the Bersa Thunder over a 9mm that can be roughly the same size?

My opinion, FWIW, you shouldn't.

I owned a Bersa Thunder....LOVED it. Great gun but with the advent of all these slim 9's out there it makes more sense, to me, to be able to up your caliber and get even smaller/lighter in size. There are many options out there so choose what fits best for you.

I went from a 23 oz 6.626" long .380 Bersa to a 17 oz 6" long 9MM Ruger LC9. More firepower, lighter, shorter and great to shoot.

For me it was a no-brainer.
    suntzu likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Bersa .380 over a slim 9mm?
    I just compared my Bersa Thunder to my Kahr P9. The Kahr is slightly smaller in height and length as well as lighter in weight. The Bersa is just a tad bit wider. As I said before though... which one shoots better? I'd go with the Kahr but I can understand sticking with a proven gun you may shoot well. I carried a Beretta 84 for a long time mainly because I could shoot it better than any other gun I tried.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links